It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin C is Above Top Secret: We all have a MAJOR genetic disease! Three grams of Vitamin C a day

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Also really really really enrich all soil, the sterilized stuff you buy is almost useless. Dig it up instead, and balance it, put in worm casings and all your scraps, from cooking, make a compost heap and really build up the soil for nutrients.

And don't forget to save all seeds your plants produce that you can.
edit on 16-4-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Our skin converts UVA radiation into vitamin C on a regular basis. You are only at risk if you never leave your basement to go and smell the roses. Try doing research before coming here and trying to scare everyone.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

You're thinking of Vitamin-D

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

I'm no psychiatrist but from what you have described it really sounds as if she has rapid cycle bipolar disorder to me. She has classic "mixed" substance abuse..(the anything and everything approach), the drama queen thing etc... rehab will not work if it's only trying to treat the substance abuse, nor will just trying to treat the mental illness by itself. The best time to try to get an undiagnosed addict BP'er into hospital is when they are descending into depression (for others the signs this is happening is lack of contact and antics).

There are not too many places that are set up to deal with what is known as "dual diagnosis"; as both conditions have to be treated together to have any chance of sucess, but it is essential to find a hospital that deals with both otherwise it's a total waste of time and money.

Sounds like you'll have to find someone she likes to persuade her to take additional vitamins & minerals, as well as the cut smoking out of specific area's of life.. to try to get that back down to less disasterous levels.

Good luck to you and your family.

psychcentral.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Are you serious??? You are aware that vitamin C is naturally found in a variety of food? In other words... eat some bloody oranges or other citrus fruits.

Add to that... it is becomming widely known that manufactured vitamins actually don't get obsorbed by the body that well. In fact you wont really benefit from eating supplements like the ones you buy in a bottle or glass.

So instead, eat healthy, non-processed foods. Don't drink smoothies, those things will eat your teeth unless you wash them down with a glass of water.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

oops don't ya love mondays? I know I don't lol

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

Please read the thread, this has been answered numerous times. Well, OK, I'll do it again, maybe using different words.

Once upon a time, in a land loooong ago, lemurs played with all the other animals that made Vitamin C every minute, right in their bodies. Lemurs could too. Then lemurs or something became Apes, and the enzyme chain which makes Vitamin C in every other animal, insect, bird, flower, and rhino broke. Apes bodies kept trying to make it, and still do, every second, but it doesn't work anymore.

So in the 1930s somebody made ascorbic acid in usuable form, and years later (I haven't memorized when it became obtainable by the general public, or how many years went by before some of the truth about everyone's genetic illness came out) a grand fellow by the name of Linus Pauling started to praise Vitamin C and prove that taking several grams of it, spread out during the day, made him and others feel very very good indeed.

The food that we can get C from is tasty, but alas, holds not enough C to do anything but allow us to avoid scurvy. It's as if we were holding off the flood with a spoon - it works, but is hard work and doesn't let us swim away. Taking several grams a day (interspersed during the day) let's us swim to our heart's content.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by flice

Please read the thread, this has been answered numerous times. Well, OK, I'll do it again, maybe using different words.

Once upon a time, in a land loooong ago, lemurs played with all the other animals that made Vitamin C every minute, right in their bodies. Lemurs could too. Then lemurs or something became Apes, and the enzyme chain which makes Vitamin C in every other animal, insect, bird, flower, and rhino broke. Apes bodies kept trying to make it, and still do, every second, but it doesn't work anymore.

So in the 1930s somebody made ascorbic acid in usuable form, and years later (I haven't memorized when it became obtainable by the general public, or how many years went by before some of the truth about everyone's genetic illness came out) a grand fellow by the name of Linus Pauling started to praise Vitamin C and prove that taking several grams of it, spread out during the day, made him and others feel very very good indeed.

The food that we can get C from is tasty, but alas, holds not enough C to do anything but allow us to avoid scurvy. It's as if we were holding off the flood with a spoon - it works, but is hard work and doesn't let us swim away. Taking several grams a day (interspersed during the day) let's us swim to our heart's content.

But it's just not true... you, in specific might be experiencing an effect, either because of some weird combo in your system or because of a placebo effect.
The body cannot absord that much vitamin c... which is why you pee orange when you take too much. It's simply discharge with your urin.

Apart from that.... vitamins and other minerals that occur naturally in fx fruit will start decayin as soon as it's exposed to air. Basically you have to eat the fruit raw to enjoy its full riches. Making juice will render the vitamins useless fast.

One thing we do lack though is the enzyme to properly handle milk products.... which is why grown-up humans really don't need or should indulge in milk products. There's no need, and they most likely cause more problems than they do good.
We are the only bloody animal still drinking milk after childhood. Why? Because the industry is too big and because it keeps us unhealthy... natural selection over time.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by flice
But it's just not true... you, in specific might be experiencing an effect, either because of some weird combo in your system or because of a placebo effect.
The body cannot absord that much vitamin c... which is why you pee orange when you take too much. It's simply discharge with your urin.

Buddy, you're out of the loop on this topic. The body absorbs ascorbic acid depending on a variety of things, but on average will absorb the vast majority of a single 500mg dose, and more than half of a 1 gram dose. Your body will ramp up it's ability to utilize ascorbic acid if given regularly. So it will increase absorption with each consecutive dose after a short period of adaptation.

Also, you don't pee orange from vitamin-c. If you're peeing orange, you're dehydrated. You do pee neon yellowish green from riboflavin, vitamin b-2.

edit on 16-4-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

Thought I'd list the top 10 Vitamin C foods

1: Red and Green Hot Chili Peppers 109.13mg (182% RDA) in a single green chili pepper
2: Guavas
3: Bell Peppers (Huge pesticide load though, unless organic)
4: Fresh Herbs (Thyme and Parsley)
5: Dark Leafy Greens (Kale, Mustard Greens, Garden Cress) – (Kale also on pesticide dirty dozen 2011)
6: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts
7: Kiwi Fruits (Chinese Gooseberries)
8: Papayas (aka: Lechoza, Mamão, Pawpaw) – watch out some Hawaiian Papayan’s are GMO
10: Strawberries (Huge pesticide load though, unless organic)

www.healthaliciousness.com...
www.ewg.org... (EWG’s 2011 Dirty Dozen list)

I'm a major hot chilli pepper fan and love raw broccoli....

Yes it's a good idea to split up doses of vitamin C through the day, as you are correct whatever your body doesn't need will just go straight through to the toilet bowl....

LMAO when I was an undergrad we did the vitamin C test in pairs (what fun handling yours and a lab mates urine ... first thing on a morning after taking a mega dose the night before) ..
We discovered that most of us were actually deficient in vitamin C because we didn't excrete out nearly as much as we should have done.... oppps first term away from home and too much fast food! One of my friends actually got Scurvy ... man can not exist on beer alone, the Doctor apparently nearly fell of his chair! I guess that’s why we did that experiment in the first term cause our Professors knew we were probably not taking good care of ourselves !

ahhhh the good ol days ....

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AliceBlackman

I'm no psychiatrist but from what you have described it really sounds as if she has rapid cycle bipolar disorder to me. She has classic "mixed" substance abuse..(the anything and everything approach), the drama queen thing etc... rehab will not work if it's only trying to treat the substance abuse, nor will just trying to treat the mental illness by itself. The best time to try to get an undiagnosed addict BP'er into hospital is when they are descending into depression (for others the signs this is happening is lack of contact and antics).

psychcentral.com...

thx yep diagnosed bp about 5+ yrs ago, has been hooked on all these substances for since as long and never quitted anything, now cancer and chemo r in the pic as r blood transfusions, anemia, and speaking of vitamins wont even take daily Iron supplement - only narcotic painkillers. when someone has decided life will always just be a joyride to float and thrill thru, its a huge burden on loved ones in her case the parents as theres nothing i can say or do it just goes in one ear and out the other.

-----

regarding vitamins, if one is taking 3 grams one just vitamin C, and pill/synthetic form, makes me wonder what else they are taking in megadoses daily and its cumulative toll on the kidneys or liver over the years.

i go for taking the minimum dose recommended and that goes too for vit C supplementation. well i see 500mg -1000 mg daily already pushing it as studies have found kidney stones caused in as little as 1000mg daily. plus we're getting more from our from shakes, drinks, etc if we eat healthfully.

C - its the one one vitamin we don't make, but its not the only one we dont - we need other vitamins too right?
edit on 16-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

Guy, all vitamins are needed. That's why they're called vitamins. They are essential nutrients, meaning we don't produce them. The only exception is vitamin-d, so I have no clue why it's still labeled a vitamin.

On the kidney stones thing, that's pretty much a fluke. What percentage of people who take various synthetic RX get kidney stones, or inflamed livers, or gall bladders expoding, or heart palpatations, etc, etc...

There is about 1% of people who take megadoses of vitamin-c that seem to develop kidney stones. That's far less than the crazy stuff that happens on a lot of statins, for instance. I'm willing to take the risk, considering the potential benefits.

Also, look both ways. Much research concludes that high dose vitamin C BREAKS UP kidney stones and prevents them from even forming. Basically, it's a non-issue.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Vitamin C is a great anti-depressant. You never hear it talked about. A few summers ago I was taking it because as a result of celiac disease the fatty pads in my feet were shrinking alarmingly. I thought vitamin C might help. It didn't. However, as a side effect I noticed my mood brightened enormously. I'm sure it was the C. I wasn't doing anything else different and the effect was staggering, almost as if someone had turned a light on in a room I had not previously realized was dark. It was that dramatic and vivid.

(By the way, if anyone listens to Michael Savage, he is very educated in nutrition and he has stated that vitamin C helps depression, so that's an expert on nutrition talking, not just me.)

Also, it's not true you can only absorb 500 milligrams a day. That summer I was taking probably 10 to 12 GRAMS a day. You don't get this anti-depressant effect if you take much less. You have to take a lot to get it. There is no harm to taking too much vitamin C. You just piss out what you don't need. And it's cheap. And there has been no demonstrated advantage to taking more expensive forms. In fact Ester C which was such a big deal several years ago when it came out because it's not acidic and supposedly more concentrated has finally been shown to be less absorbable than your good old fashioned low end drug store vitamin C. So enjoy!

Take whatever dose you decide on equally spaced throughout the day with meals. It's rough on the stomach if you take a lot but over time you get used to it.
edit on 16-4-2012 by Hillarie because: I thought of something else.

edit on 16-4-2012 by Hillarie because: misspelling

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

Our skin converts UVA radiation into vitamin C on a regular basis. You are only at risk if you never leave your basement to go and smell the roses. Try doing research before coming here and trying to scare everyone.

You're thinking of vitamin D. Vitamin D comes from sunlight.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

On a related note, smokers apparently need more vitamin C than non smokers. Smoking somehow makes the body use more. We should be taking supplements but it's not cheap stuff here.

ETA

Smoking uses up about 25 milligrams of vitamin C per cigarette. It has been noted that smokers are ill more often, directly related to low vitamin C levels. Each cigarette you smoke emits extremely high levels of gaseous pollutants. Smokers create poisons that are deposited on oral cavities and tissues in your throat and lungs. The irritation they cause further lowers your body's Vitamin C supplies.

Source
edit on 15/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

Actually vitamin C is very cheap. Go to wal mart or any discount drug store. Don't buy the chewable or time release or anything fancy. Just plain vitamin C is gram size pills. It's way cheap.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
thanks Alice, i didnt bring up Smoking, it was brought up that a separate dose was recommended for smokers.. perhaps i can recommend it to my sibling if i ever hear the source to substantiate it.

anyways, my sibling is 1 year into Chemo and smokes everyday, even right after chemo. 2-3 packs a week for 20 yrs now.

also addicted to hydromorphone and oxycodone/contin.

why chemo and still smoke, right??

"i can't quit so the chemo balances the smoking out"

yeah right..

When you quit smoking you become aware of everything you used it to block. If your sib quit smoking now she would be hit with realizing in a whole new way that she has cancer. It's amazing how smoking can dull things. Maybe she's not ready to handle that.

edit on 15-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
walked out of rehab a zillion times, its just an attention psychosis, the more you're involved the more thrilled/excited the attention seeker gets. yea theres always been sib rivalry and this sibling if its not the hospital it was always the jail. problems for my folks galore always and still. she's a big baby in her 30s now.

and knowing that smoking causes cancer, so smoked her lungs out. and when diagnosed with cancer, turned from an "addict" to a "victim" we all feel sorry for. sheesh. but its just so crazy to see her coming out of chemo all frail and smoking all the time on top of it. and the patches abused too, anything, everything, and a good actress about it with the folks i can't support that! the drama, the show. thats why i don't buy the 'i cant quit' when she found out she had cancer, I quit cold turkey and never smoked again (Except a clove cigarette or hookah once a month or less).

i dont believe one can be addicted to everything theyy get their hands on to abuse like her. that is something else far more sinister and selfish.

likewise for vitamin C i notice people are excited and take megadoses but forget about it a while after, or develop kidney/ incontinence problems, so i would wonlder why people go suddenly from 0 supplementation to megadoses, and why they do and where they stand years from now.

in school they taught that C is water soluble thus u cant overdose it, the body 'flushes' the extra out. but its a daily burden on the kidneys, so much extra. and it has been associated with kidney stones in studies. so, caveat emptor be careful.. too much of a good thing

edit on 15-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

People who have the least compassion for other people are the siblings. At least I see now it's not just my family. That makes me feel better. But I think you should be more compassionate with your sister. You quit cold turkey. Good for you. But you don't really know what's she's going through or what she's been through in her life. Not really. A lot of stuff happens that sets the ground work for how strong or weak a person is in infancy. And parents treat every child different. They say they don't but they do. You may have gotten more than she did in those early first months. You really don't know.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
One point of this thread is pointing out that the media and popular figures don't make this information known by saturating the airwaves with it. I can see by comments here that people think you can get the full effect of Vitamin C from food alone. That's the conspiracy, the misinformation is kept afloat by economic intrerests who of course have their own interests in mind.

I'd venture an uneducated guess that the top 100 movers and shakers and manipulators of the world all - to a man and woman - supplement what the general public thinks are "mega"doses of Vitamin C. Then they can plot and rave and manipulate the populace until they are well up into their 80s, as many of them are, but still holding onto a "let's not let them in on the secret" mentality. What's sad is that smart people come to ATS, and will pick up data like this from time to time, but the vast majority of the world is lulled to their TV-induced sleep and sold pharma's goods without anyone whispering in their ears "It doesn't have to be like that." And for all this talk of Orange Juice and why it does or doesn't give enough Vitamin C, I prefer mango juice, the nectar of the Goddesses.
edit on 16-4-2012 by Aleister because: edit

If everyone in the world took lots of vitamin C every day big pharma would be out lots of money.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by questforevidence

vita C is pretty cool stuff, I remember looking on Wikipedia a while back and reading about Mega doses of IV vita C being used successfully to cure cancer, only bad effect of treatment was the high doses block iron from absorbing or something,

if only they could make oranges taste better, yuck...even that emergency-c is nasty!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
what other vitamins does our body need, but not make?

or is it vitamin C only?

we need VItamin D IF we don't get ANY significant sunlight/uv light.

any others?

Vitamin E? we make that?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join