It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban launches largest attack on Kabul in 11 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Things are deffinitely heating up over there in Afghanistan. I have heard from friends over there that it is becoming more dangerous by the day. After attacks like these one must question how strong the Taliban really is. We have been fighting them for eleven years now and they are still able to carry out attacks of these nature. Something just doesn't add up to me. It's deffinitelt time to bring all the troops home and away from the middle east in my opinion.

Link To Story

In a brazen demonstration of its ability to hit some of the best defended targets in Kabul, the Taliban mounted its largest ever co-ordinated attack in 11 years of resistance to Afghanistan's post-2001 rulers.

Dozens of fighters launched gun, rocket and suicide attacks on embassies, Nato bases, parliament and government buildings in the capital, as well as Nato targets in three eastern provinces, in what a spokesman called a "spring offensive" to demonstrate its strength. Five hours later, as dusk fell, gun battles were still raging in Kabul. The British embassy was among the targets, but insurgents succeeded only in damaging a gate.

This time the scale of the attack in the capital alone was even greater. At least seven sites across the heavily guarded city were targeted, raising worrying questions about the organisation's continued potency despite intense US efforts to degrade them on the battlefield.

Your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Your thoughts?

Get out! History shows with this country that it is tenacious and enduring, but I fear the opium issue and Taliban will continue to justify our presence there.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Reading on the other thread, the jist of it is that the effectiveness of the Taliban has been exaggerated.

Our guys say no big deal. CNN says SHTF.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you have people there, then maybe you have the truth.

Nato forces quickly dismissed the attacks as "largely ineffective" and emphasised that it was Afghan army forces, not Nato units, that dealt with the onslaught. Afghan units had sustained "light casualties while killing or capturing many of the suicide attackers in a matter of hours." Witnesses reported seeing some bodies in the street, but there was no official word on any deaths. The Taliban said that the attacks, which were two months in the planning, served to show the insurgency "can attack anywhere we want". The attacks resembled an audacious assault in September when gunmen stormed an abandoned, half-built tower from where they fired rockets at the US embassy, prompting a 20-hour siege by Afghan special forces.

edit on 15-4-2012 by kawika because: add quote

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

I didn't even see the other thread, and I ran an extensive search, go figure. Thanks for pointing that out for me. I will ask the mods to close this one. I'm off to read the responses in the other thread.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
yah dont see that happening anytime soon. and yup. why wouldnt it matter think about it someone want to join or fight in the taliban they just join . it like a revolving door ALMOSt

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Something else to consider is that during our involvement over the last decade +, a whole new generation of rebels/ terrorists/haters of the west have been cropping up and conditioned. So imo things may get worse over time.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Your source is not the same, I think they may leave you open.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
And the drones did not see the movement of the enemy on the ground?
Or was it allowed in a limited fashion,
and will the increase lead to public opinion,
and we will need to remain there longer now.
We do have a war machine that needs to be fed,
or else it will feed on itself.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

We saw this first hand in Iraq back in 2004-2005. Jihadists from Syria, Jordan, and many other places showed up in force in preparation for the Battle Of Fallujah. Many young impressionable college age youths. Very sad thing to see personally.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gmoneycricket

My guess is that they played the 'dress like and blend in with civilian' game they are so accustomed to over there. The attacks may not have done the damage they hoped but it sure shows that they are not willing to give up yet.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The last gasp of a dieing group.

Just like the Tet offensive in Vietnam that wiped out the VC as a major fighting group. The north Vietnamese regular army (NVA) had to come down in force to continue the fight

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
These pinpricks are just to let us know that they are back from Pakistan for this years jihad......
These are some pretty unsophisticated fighters......they are not the most effective fighting force......
The taliban cannot stand and fight the sllies.
Not anywhere....they would be decimated...so they continue to harrass and destroy whatever they can, without even much central co ordination.......

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The Taliban had claimed to seek for talks and negotiations in the last few months. That was good news, for the slaughter must end. Negotiations with a LEGIMATELY elected gov is the civilised way, and for them to become a political group instead of being a bunch of butchers.

However somehow, the slaughter of innocents and the manipulating innocent young to become suicide bombers yet happened again. It is an atrocity beyond mere words.

They are no longer fighting a holy war, for no muslim will countenance the murder of innocents. They are no longer fighting against colonialists, as the Nato forces are leaving. The Taliban have abosolutely NO reason to continue with the inhuman slaughter of innocents.

Only beasts will continue such. Beasts live amongst us, well known by all mainstream religion. They sought for no redemption, nor salvation, for they had not been offered and will not be offered. Thus they only wish to destroy, never to build up, and will use any diversive issues such as religion to manipulate others for their own destructive agendas.

Afghanistan is also a land of great mineral resource, and is a target for highwaymen, murderers and robbers. That is what the Taliban truly is today, a front for those animals and nations greedy for Afghan resources whom had been funding them. They fight not for religion or for freedom, but only greed and destruction, never to allow Afganis to progress and evolve.

May our fellow human brothers and sisters of the muslim faith discuss and share with their families, relatives and friends around the world, espacially in Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia and Iran, not to fund or support, but condemn those whom had misused the words of Allah and the good prophet Mohammad to murder innocents of both muslim and non-muslims but only fellow humans, to end the tragedy of the Afghan People.

And may those commanders amongst the Taliban, whom had by now found out how they had been cheated and manupilated by destructive beasts within their group whom had used diversive tactics and lies, be courageous to stand up and hold those foul creatures accountable, not be misled further. The slaughter of innocents is an abomination to every religious and secular law. There will always be salvation and redemption for humans, but there will be none for beasts...

The past had happened. No mortal can change the past, but together, we have the power to change the future for the progress and evolution of mankind in every troubled nation of our world we share. The fate of our fellow human brothers and sisters in Afghanistan lays in our hands today......

new topics

top topics

join