It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Google Takeover

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

You seriously DID NOT know that Youtube and Android are owned by Google??

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadAwhile
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

You know there's something to stop and think about when Stephen King writes a novel about it (ie: Cell)

The Assassin moved quietly from roof to roof until he was well away from the excitement around the Watch House. His movements could be called cat-like, except that he did not stop to spray urine up against things.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Yup, to say these sites are offering basically free services it makes one wonder where all the money is really coming from. Facebook for example is supposedly "worth" at least a few billion, I vaguely remember reading that Bono of all people is a major shareholder and him celebrating his new found success by owning a chunk of it. I guess they do have subscriptions for more advanced features but I still don't see how they can truly generate that kind of money, or "worth".

It's also a part of their business model too I guess, offer something for free and make money somewhere else. The "where?" might be an answer we don't want to hear.

ETA I should also add that my ISP mail account let's me store something like 750MB of mail in it, something I will never get. Having a google account just to be able to sign in somewhere else seems a bit of a feeble excuse and I don't need another mailbox.
edit on 15/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

I've often wondered how and why these sites make money. Sure, they post ads, but billions worth?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Didn't know they were going to, sadly every King novel that has been turned into a movie/series has been a disappointment. There is too much lost in translation, though I always thought The Long Walk would be a good one to do. Bet that will never happen now that we have The Hunger Games.

“Let this ground be seeded with salt, so that no stalk of corn, or stalk of wheat shall ever grow. Cursed be the children of this ground, and cursed be their loins. Also cursed be their hams and hocks. Hail Marry full of grace, let us blow this goddamn place.”

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Yup, to say these sites are offering basically free services it makes one wonder where all the money is really coming from. Facebook for example is supposedly "worth" at least a few billion, I vaguely remember reading that Bono of all people is a major shareholder and him celebrating his new found success by owning a chunk of it. I guess they do have subscriptions for more advanced features but I still don't see how they can truly generate that kind of money, or "worth".

It's also a part of their business model too I guess, offer something for free and make money somewhere else. The "where?" might be an answer we don't want to hear.

ETA I should also add that my ISP mail account let's me store something like 750MB of mail in it, something I will never get. Having a google account just to be able to sign in somewhere else seems a bit of a feeble excuse and I don't need another mailbox.

I've often wondered how and why these sites make money. Sure, they post ads, but billions worth?

Yes, billions and billions and billions worth of ads. Google's business model is genius.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Incorrect. Peer block. Masks your ip quite nicely (and it's free!)
I use it and it masks me fantastically (Hello bit torrent!)

I downloaded something and got a no-no letter from Comcast and Fox media, but got the SAME FILE with peer block and nada. I know it works. (I'm a download-a-holic)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
I tried to create a Facebook account with a fake name. It wouldn't allow it, popped up and said "You must use your real name". Ok, wtf, how do they know my real name?

I just registered on Facebook using a variation of my real name and it worked. The last name is relatively the same but it's about as popular as Smith, so maybe that worked in my favor. Also, I didn't do it using a gmail/Google account but rather a VERY much lesser known e-mail provider.

For every major highway you can take, there are dirt roads that branch off. You just have to look for them.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by himalayanhermit

You seriously DID NOT know that Youtube and Android are owned by Google??

No, I did not. Thank you all for denying my ignorance.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Star, just for the avatar

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
this saddens me because i use hotmail to sign up to everything, so the larger google grows the more my email address is going to get shut out. I dont want to create a google account as i have an email address that works fine as it is

quite smart from googles point of view though, in order to use their services (youtube is huge) then you need to sign up to google and give them your info...smart, very smart.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join