It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Google Takeover

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

". Ok, wtf, how do they know my real name

If you all ready have a FB account
They have your IP address
Its so you can't open multiple accounts in bogus names
But i know of a way to delete your FB account permantley
So i might post about that tommorrow

Cran

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

The internet used to be pretty much anonymous back in the day, not any more!

People need to realise that the internet is still in it's infancy, the internet "currency" is information......the big boys have it, and they want more, the more info they have.......the more money they make!

There is only one way to protect yourself and your privacy, and that is to ditch your PC and your mobile phone........and I don't see too many of us doing that in a hurry!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

If you all ready have a FB account They have your IP address Its so you can't open multiple accounts in bogus names But i know of a way to delete your FB account permantley So i might post about that tommorrow

No offence mate.....but if you have a facebook account, there is no way to remove all traces of it....if you've dipped your toe into the interwebz.....your here for keeps!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace

Cran

I'd love to know how.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

"You must use your real name"

It was probably the way you spelled "Fake Name".lol!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin

Originally posted by cranspace

Cran

I'd love to know how.

Well if you already have an account then it's really easy to match your IP address up to your other account. Facebook check for commonly used fake names though. If you type Ben Dover or Hugh Jass then it'll probably be rejected.

Edit: Never mind, I thought you meant how do they tell.
edit on 11/27/10 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I tried to create a Facebook account with a fake name. It wouldn't allow it, popped up and said "You must use your real name". Ok, wtf, how do they know my real name?

Not sure but either they are magic or....it has something to do with cookies.

If they are tracking you and if at any point you used your real name they will have that on file.
So when you used a fake name it didn't match. Or something like that.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I always find it hilarious that people will not use their real name for a sign up service, weather it is Google or any of the other big services out there, many are long gone, but will plaster the same service with their pictures and other information that can be accessed by the general public. I never had a facebook account myself for the simple reason i just dont want one.

What will they do with your name and does t matter if google own or buys another company? Is it due to some Tracking? Unless you are on a public system your ISP knows every site you go to along with the now long gone service providers who came and went like Compuserve AOL from over a decade ago, some names i cant even remember. I was not aware that you needed a google account for youtube but i already had a google account for years. What happened with google is they add services directly into chrome so it makes it easier to test the new services or write the code into their own browser to use the add ons. Right now i like their services but hardly mandatory to join them. Some feature like the new youtube dimmer are not available in other browsers, this button does not work right in another browser, that one does not fit on the page in another etc.

Opera (the European web browser program) has my name from the browser service itself and their mail service. When they bought fastmail it automatically carried my signup information and i already had a fastmail account. I coould have just made up a name too but I was paying for their mail service so i had to give my real name. Worst part about that was spammers got my email and spammed it which ruined the address but that was not operas fault. That was just using that email address for a bogus forum registration that, for some reason, wanted to spam emails. I tracked the spammer to another forum and posted right after him "hey stop sending me spam", once they stopped i knew it was him. He sent a few stragglers after that but that was it.
edit on 15-4-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Funny, but my youtube login works with my gmail UN and PW. To me, that is a convenience.

Consolidation is a smart idea, IMO.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Gee, I thought I was only person without a FB account. I just don't do those kind of sites. I do have a blog on a little known blogging portal that has been around forever, but never makes the MSM. Texting, I have to do, it's a requirement if you have teenage children.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

I am preparing myself for the jump to having a non-mobile phone. I really want to do it, but I'm still hanging on. What is safe anymore? I mean...my browser is google...now all my accounts are google related...Google essentially knows every.thing.about.me. What's a girl to do? Are there alternative options or is privacy just non-existant

Grab an old used phone off eBay or someplace that just does phone calls and texts and no internet.

You know what someone showed me the other day, on their Android? An app that you can type all of your numbers in for those store cards. Like a grocery store card, beauty store card, drugstore card, the kinds that get you discounts at the register. You're practically forced into getting those cards because if you don't have one, the prices are higher. So there is a new free app that will hold all your numbers for you and you select one and it pops a barcode which the register person can scan.

The rule of the internet goes "if you aren't paying for the product, you are the product!

This person was telling me, after seeing my key chain with several of those cards attached, that I should get the app and discard my little cards. Well no freaking thank you! I don't need some app collecting a record of everything I buy, and selling it to someone who wants to advertise to me, or worse. I already am against those cards tracking all my purchases, collecting everything in the same place seems like an even worse idea.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
"Resistance is futile."

(Google quoting the Borg.)

Remember all the technological advancements that were originally rejected out of fear?

Fire. Well, that goes back a bit far.....

Electricity.
The automobile.
Television.
Microwaves.
Cell Phones.
Computers.

Well, it's sometimes hard to accept, but technology does make life easier and more convenient. Would you rather be reading by candlelight, and have to take a horse to work tomorrow? Uhm, then again, you wouldn't be reading this at all.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

That must be new- many of my Facebook friends use made-up pseudonums.
Unless you mean The account name vs the display name?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

www.facebook.com...
Thats how to delete facebook but iff you try to log back on within the 14 days it will cancel the deleting prosess,

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I have an IMDB account and a while ago they added as an option the "login in with google account".Soon i bet they will make it the only option.

I don't have facebook or twitter,nor i am interested on getting one.When people ask me about my fb and i tell them i don't have,they look at me like i'm from another planet.

My theory about the google takeover,as you call it,is to make sure that they have all the real information on you(for your own protection and national security of course
).If your gmail name is for example "john smith",you cannot create an account on facebook with a different name.You have to give the same name on fb as well.And then give the same name on every site that requires a google account.You might create a fake gmail name to use on not important sites but a time may come that you may need your real name(an online purchase for example) and if your info is different they might block you.

It's not a coincidence that they call internet "the web".We are little flies, they catch you and there is no way out.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Android market has always required a user account. Always.

If you were downloading an app and it asked you to login, you probably unsynced the market with your gmail account by accident, or this is the first time you've tried to download an app..

You know how on ATS people say "if you don't like the rules, leave." Well, the same goes for Google services.

I don't like FB so I don't have it. I don't like MySpace so I don't have it. I don't like Twitter so I don't have it.

It's odd to me that people are willing to plaster their personal details all over FB but are afraid that Google is tracking them - If you're really concerned about your privacy delete your FB (but it's already too late.)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

You know there's something to stop and think about when Stephen King writes a novel about it (ie: Cell)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Google owns your phone (you dont own your phone you just own a agreement to use the phone) google owns youtube. Google uses photobucket in image search. Their is much more to google then just a search engine. They are mapping the whole world and other planets. They want a whole genetic DNA base on every one. Google is enemy. Do not use it or buy any products. Sell your phone and get something else.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Prepaid phones, and web-mail only if you plan to use the web. Make a bogus email name. Don't use facebook. Log into the web from a library or wifi hotspot like starchunks. My name (real name) hasn't ever been associated with my yahoo account (12 years running) none of the 3 google accounts I have (2 years there) facebook (5 years running now) and the ONLY thing that has my real name attached to it is the simple fact I'm on a nationwide cell carrier stuck in another 2 year contract. Otherwise, I'd be "off the grid" with a Boost Mobile phone (Unlimited everything here for 50.00 a month I hear)

Hope that helps.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadAwhile

You know there's something to stop and think about when Stephen King writes a novel about it (ie: Cell)

Did they ever do that movie/mini series?

I know Eli Roth pulled out... but been so long since I even bothered looking what was happening.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join