It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter is melting, scientists say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

(FoxNews.com)-New simulations suggest that Jupiter's rocky core has been liquefying, melting, and mixing with the rest of the planet's innards. With this new data, astronomers hope to better explain a recent puzzling discovery of a strange planet outside of our solar system.

www.foxnews.com...

The ever changing universe,pretty interesting.
I was left wondering how this effects most planets in our solar system,and what could be long term effects of this happening.
That being said,I highly doubt any of us will be around at that time, if there are any side effects to this change.

On a side note,this song popped into my head as I was reading the article.
Just for kicks....

edit on 15-4-2012 by Black_Fox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Wonder if it means Jupiter's diameter is going to grow.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
There is no way Jupiter could be melting. Humans don't live on Jupiter. As we all know, planets get warmer because of bad things that humans do.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
There is no way Jupiter could be melting. Humans don't live on Jupiter. As we all know, planets get warmer because of bad things that humans do.

He's Right. Only Earth is warming up.. Not the whole Solar system. We are definitely not getting a system wide energetic boost. That would be strange.

So I do not confuse anyone, I was being sarcastic as well.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Oh, a global-warming denier, eh? Well, you couldn't be more wrong. It's obvious that humans have spewed out so much carbon dioxide they're melting the _other_ planets now. I can prove it with a simple hockey-stick graph!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
"Strange planet outside the solar system"? Hmm. They slipped that one in, an alien planet, 2012 Olympics, blue beam?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
"Strange planet outside the solar system"? Hmm. They slipped that one in, an alien planet, 2012 Olympics, blue beam?

I had a dream and there were like 4 planets in the sky about the size of 3 moons or so. I noticed it first and pointed the planets out to other dream characters on the bus. The first response was this, "That's not real it's fake." And I say, "How could they fake that?" I later realized it was fake and a fake "Alien" invasion insued. The aliens were big robots, not that different from transformers.

You may be on to something there, and I too thought that reference was weird.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
They are not saying that the core is suddenly just now melting for some reason, what they are saying is that melting of the core is part of the natural process that has been going on inside the planet all along. They are saying this new model seems to make more sense what what they are observing both on Jupiter and on other gas giant exo-planets.

The other specific planet they are talking about, the one outside our solar system, CoRoT-20b is around the star CoRoT-20 which is 4000 light years away. It's nowhere close to our solar system. That's what they mean when they say it's a planet "outside our solar system."

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

Wonder if this could have anything to do with Jupiter lossing it's "red" spot?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox

(FoxNews.com)-New simulations suggest that Jupiter's rocky core has been liquefying, melting, and mixing with the rest of the planet's innards. With this new data, astronomers hope to better explain a recent puzzling discovery of a strange planet outside of our solar system.

www.foxnews.com...

The ever changing universe,pretty interesting.
I was left wondering how this effects most planets in our solar system,and what could be long term effects of this happening.
That being said,I highly doubt any of us will be around at that time, if there are any side effects to this change.

On a side note,this song popped into my head as I was reading the article.
Just for kicks....

edit on 15-4-2012 by Black_Fox because: (no reason given)

Maybe it is true like on 2001 where Jupiter becomes a 2nd sun.

It was supposed to have been a failed sun at some point already right? Maybe it's ready for a 2nd push.

What if going through the galactice plane heats it up enough to the point it can finally become a sun.

Then we have our binary system and all of those moons on jupiter have potential to hold life now.

Well all the ones further out that don't disinegrate once the sun becomes active..

Just a thought though.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

He's Right. Only Earth is warming up.. Not the whole Solar system. We are definitely not getting a system wide energetic boost. That would be strange.

So I do not confuse anyone, I was being sarcastic as well.

Well could please explaine to me why these change on these planet
Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Rare edge-on glimpse of Uranus' rings reveals graphic changes
www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2007/08/23/MNS5RNAVQ.DTL

New Hubble Maps of Pluto Show Surface Changes
www.nasa.gov...

And i will be back with more

Scientists baffled by changes in Saturn’s rings

Cassini reveals parts are growing dimmer, moving inward toward planet
www.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 15-4-2012 by Trillium because: add info

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
Maybe it is true like on 2001 where Jupiter becomes a 2nd sun.

It was supposed to have been a failed sun at some point already right? Maybe it's ready for a 2nd push.

What if going through the galactice plane heats it up enough to the point it can finally become a sun.

Then we have our binary system and all of those moons on jupiter have potential to hold life now.

Well all the ones further out that don't disinegrate once the sun becomes active..

Just a thought though.

It would have to have been many times its mass to have become even a brown dwarf (something like 13 times its mass at the low end), much less a red dwarf star (something like 75 to 80 or so Jupiter masses). It's just not nearly big enough to have ever become, or ever in the future become a second star in our solar system. Its density is not great enough to cause fusion.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

There is no way Jupiter could be melting
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Jupiter is a gas giant
And as far as i'm aware gas just does not Melt

Cran

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace

There is no way Jupiter could be melting

Jupiter is a gas giant
And as far as i'm aware gas just does not Melt

Cran

Jupiter's core is solid (we are pretty sure). The question is about the outer layers of that solid core. This paper suggests that at the outer edge the core might be under so much heat that it melts.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

As a man who nearly saw it all, I agree with you, mate!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
paneandov.com... nothing to worry about, move alone, move along.

top topics

join