It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney to welfare mothers: ‘You need to go to work’ !!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

What if there are not enough jobs to go around?
Get the God damned(I mean this literally) federal government out of the way and let the free market reassert itself without their pro-corporate biased interference and watch jobs spring up like weeds.

ok.

Then you want corporations to further outsource jobs to mexico,korea,china,brazil and taiwan.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo2

Welfare money and unemployment benefits are 2 different things in the US....welfare comes from the taxpayers...unemployment comes from their ex-employers......big difference.

And the extension of unemployment to over two years encourages people to take their time looking for jobs instead of having a sense of urgency.

And the no jobs crap is BS...I cant walk thru a mall without seeing a help wanted sign.

People don't want to do the jobs for low pay, because it's easier to "collect".

Get a roommate, cut out cable and other luxuries...and you can live just fine...quit making excuses for laziness and a sense of entitlement.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by KeliOnyx

You are totally confused....nobody wants to hold them down with a boot...we want them to be responsible for themselves...not expect society to cover their losses.

The boot on their throat is from their government masters that enslaved them with "social programs" instead if lifting them up.

So, following your logic, you want to use the MORE Government to free them from the government?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

The problem though, is that now she'd have to clothe, feed, and house another kid with no benefits now. (under your suggestion).

So, what does she do for money? She can't work, as she can't afford day care for all those kids. What else does she do? Turn tricks? Sell drugs?

No, suspending the benefits isn't the answer, but there needs to be some kind of meaningful penalty to keep people from using child-popping as a means of income. For me, my suggestion is jail time, 1 year, for the first offense...with a chance to get out early for good behavior, with then increased benefits (for the additional kid). You do it again though (get preggo a 2nd time while on Welfare), and it's more jail, and removal of the kids. I know everyone won't agree with me, but this situation is a complete drain on our economy, and on our society in general.

People don't want to do the jobs for low pay, because it's easier to "collect".

That's not really it at all.

For one thing, taking a massive pay cut leaves a gaping hole on your resume' that can really hurt you in getting a decent job when the opportunity arises.

For another, once you take the lower paying job, if you find yourself on unemployment again, you're now in an even worse position.

Thing is, when you're laid off, your bills are at a certain level, and it takes time to make that adjustment. Taking a lower paying job can make it even harder to get out of that hole. You're better off holding out and searching for a good job.

When I was out of work, I spent about 30 hours a week changing resume's (to fit the job and keywords), checking out online job postings and job boards, interviewing, etc. However, I also had a certain break point where I would have to accept a lower paying job. Luckily, all that work paid off, and I found a job making even more than my previous one. But, it took two months to do so.

Had I just taken a low paying job, it would have been years vs. months to get out of that financial hole.
edit on 16-4-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

What if there are not enough jobs to go around?
Get the God damned(I mean this literally) federal government out of the way and let the free market reassert itself without their pro-corporate biased interference and watch jobs spring up like weeds.

ok.

Then you want corporations to further outsource jobs to mexico,korea,china,brazil and taiwan.

No, he wants 'government' to get out of the way so corporations can turn N. America into China in terms of wages and enviro protection.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Listen Romney, I had to work and had no nanny state to pay for my daycare. Why do that now? Romney is stealth nanny state if he continues in this manner. What's the difference between him and the early labor communists who wanted to get women into the workforce and steal their children for the State?
edit on 16-4-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

And comparing all social programs to each other is also an unfair argument...

The VA and care to our vets was earned with their blood for this country, they worked for it, just like Social Security is our own money...

Other social programs take from hard workers and redistribute to people who did not earn it.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthEvolves

That is your belief and nothing more, since you did not understand that the apostle Paul said in the same address to the same people both that they needed to be their brother's keeper AND every man should bear his own burden. How can both statements be true? The answer is charity plus personal responsibility, not govt enforced redistribution of wealth. There is the difference.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Sorry, cannot agree with that...especially after my last trip to the market where the welfare mom behind had 2 shopping carts of food and didn't want to take coupons for some of her stuff because she said "I don't care, it's not my money!" with a big smile on her face..the she laughed and said "well I guess it's everyone's money!"
She had alot of nice expensive tattoos, brand new nikes and really sweet cell phone...oh and $500 hair extensions...got in a brand new Chrysler van.

I have many stories like this to share from where I live...$9 a pound steaks, lobster tails, iphones all the things my husband and I cannot afford on a middle class salary because we know we have to save for the future and be responsible....my bad I guess.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I would want to let the mother at least have a chance to take care of the children she has. And making getting pregnant illegal would be a VERY hard law to pass. Look at how hard it is trying to get piss tests mandatory for welfare. Florida is having one hell of a time. I say give the mom a chance. Hey, if she shows CPS that she's trying but failing, she can get on welfare again. If she has another kid...well, then maybe we can look in to jail time.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Raising families and working is negatively affecting American communities. Children need daily monitoring, encouragement, and molding in order to turn into healthy and respectable adults, it doesn't happen magically on its own. So if teachers are telling us that its not their job (which it isn't), society has to design a better way for people to work and also be parents.

It seems there are only two family/work scenarios that are exceptions. The first is a two parent home where one parent is focused on providing financially and the other is focused on raising the children.The second is a family run business, such as farms and small shops or offices where one or two parents can manage business and also monitor their children.

Unfortunately, the large majority of the American workforce are stuck working for corporations who have no sense of family or community. They would rather have a person work 12 hours to save a few thousand dollars a year, instead of hire another employee. These kind of work environments even make it difficult for two parent homes. You leave for work at 7am and don't pick your children up until 6pm or 8pm, when you are exhausted after a commute and a long day. There is no family time or parenting time in these scenarios. Your home becomes more like a hotel where you put your children to bed and wake them up in the morning.

It makes sense to keep people disconnected from their communities, governments and families when you want to make them slaves. That is the majority of the American population, whether you are on welfare or consider yourself middleclass. Since I know that Romney and Congress represent the interests of America's ruling class, I am never shocked by their cold-blooded nature.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

In that case, take away the welfare and food stamos AND make them pay for their own day care. I had to, why should I pay for them to have it?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Where did you get that from....I want government programs phased out and people to take of themselves...I have no idea what you are reading?

By lifting them up I meant figuratively...as in get rid of the programs so there is no crutch...you sink or swim...live or die.
edit on 16-4-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

She had alot of nice expensive tattoos, brand new nikes and really sweet cell phone...oh and $500 hair extensions...got in a brand new Chrysler van.

Wow, you could eyeball the cost of her hair extensions, and then you followed her to the parking lot

I think thats called stalking.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Its not stalking....chill ..

we were in line together and left to the parking lot together....it's a small store.

And I know the prices of things and I am observant, especially when she is in line with me and making a scene very loudly laughing about wasting her food stamps.

Ask any hair dresser how much extensions are...

The name calling garbage on this site is really out of hand...STALKER, RACIST...people need to get a grip and learn definitions of words instead of trying to label and incite all the time...just discuss like an adult.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

I dont think its name calling to say being overly obsessed with a stranger is stalking. Its just accuracy. But if playing the victim makes you comfortable, go right ahead. You poor thing.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

yes, because we all just appear to be so charitable on here as we gripe about the poor stealing our money!!!

fact is, clinton created a program that required for welfare recipients to work...
in my area, if you couldn't find one, they'd assign your one..
this is how it worked out for one lady I know...

they assigned her a job working as a bus aide for a short time every day.
while dong this work, she found a job, although the training that they would have provided for her would not have been paid. okay, she was interested and called the dss to let them know..

well, because of the time spent in training wasn't paid, it wasn't considered a job, she would have to carry through till the end of her commitment as a bus aide...
she lost the chance!!!
for a stupid short term, part time work program as a bus aide.
that job, if she had run with it, well, in a year or two, would have probably gotten her off of welfare.....
now, you tell me what they really want!! because I think that they want us all on welfare, and them to have the power to send us wherever they wish to do whatever they wish, for whatever they wish to give us!!

this lady had kids in school, so there was no child care cost...
here is a story of another lady I knew, who had kids....

she worked with me at one time. it was the graveyard shift, so well, she needed a sitter at night while she worked...but then she also need a sitter during the day while she slept....
the gov't paid for both, to her.....did you know that they give the money for the childcare to the parent, who then pays the sitter, my son got burned real good with that one.
well, mom watched the kid during the night....the child care center watched them during the day, mom really didn't expect to be paid, so well, in the end up if all.....
our foreman was using her as a bank borrowing money from her about once a month, while she was always saying just how great is was to be a single mom!!!

here's an idea.....
want them to get their arses to work??
okay...here's the catch....
they will be required to sit down with a financial counselor and figure out just how much they would need to make to be independent of the system....
then, well, this would they wage they would request when applying. they can take any job that comes their way, but they are still required to keep looking for that one that will earn them enough to be independent.
they may get training instead of playing that game, but to be honest, most of the training programs ain't gonna help when it comes to earning that much money. and well...they may bug their boss after being employed for a time for a raise to that level, but that probably ain't gonna fly either..so, well, the recipient will continually be looking and the employer will be continually having to give her time off for interviews, and live with the idea that hey, she might actually find a higher paying job!!!

but this is crap really. it doesn't save the system any money, matter of fact, it costs more.
it doesn't help the single parent family, since it is just piling more stress on it...the only ones it does help is the business sector by providing a mass of job seekers who really don't care one iota just how much they make, matter of fact, like someone already alluded to more is not better, unless it's alot more, since you make too much and suddenly all that support you were getting is taken away, and well, you aren't making that much, you are worse off than if you worked!!

but, anyone have any idea just how this is any different that clinton's welfare to work program? because that's supposed to be putting them to work, it's failing miserably really, and any money we might be saving, I doubt it there's any really, but, well, it's probably being eaten up by all those administrators of those non profit agencies that the same groups of bills helped bring into existance, to serve the poor, or course.

but, I can see why romney would be wanting this....he's all for business, heck with the taxpayers, single moms, or any of use really....as long as business is thriving!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

reply to post by randomname

Sorry, cannot agree with that...especially after my last trip to the market where the welfare mom behind had 2 shopping carts of food and didn't want to take coupons for some of her stuff because she said "I don't care, it's not my money!" with a big smile on her face..the she laughed and said "well I guess it's everyone's money!"

I have many stories like this to share from where I live...$9 a pound steaks, lobster tails, iphones all the things my husband and I cannot afford on a middle class salary because we know we have to save for the future and be responsible....my bad I guess.

The only people on welfare that have all that stuff are drug dealers.

The vast majority on welfare live NOTHING like that.

I can name a bunch of capitalist corporations that manipulate the system and steal from taxpayers too.
Should we scrap the entire capitalist system because of a few bad apples? According to your logic, we should.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Wow you are really trying to start something aren't you?

Do you walk around with blinders on in a fog and never look at anyone?

It pays to look around you once in awhile and see whats going on.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Have you lived near a vast majority lately?

Living like that is the rule these days not the exception...spend some time in Walmart...its amazing what you see when you sit getting your nails done for hour...it really open your eyes.

Oh and drive through the inner city and see all the "porch sitters".

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join