It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

MoveOn Recruits for '99% Spring' Training

page: 5
5
<< 2  3  4   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
you are again using VAN JONES to try to distort what the 99% is,
we cant wait for the govenment to do the right thing by the 99%,


The single reason why the 99% meme bothers me, is because it is fundamentally inaccurate.

Protesters and activists are not 99% of the population. They are actually a much smaller number of people, in real, practical terms, than the elite 1% who they are protesting against.

Am I pointing this out as a statement of how I'd like things to be? No. Am I pointing this out as a statement of how things actually are? Yes.
edit on 19-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)




posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4
 


It's not fundamentally inaccurate. It's just misunderstood to mean population when it has to do with wealth distribution. The top 1% (it's actually less than 1% because if you're making less than 250k you're as voiceless as someone on welfare) owns 43% of the wealth in the US alone. That 1% are the ones buying our government out from under the rest of us or the 99%.



posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by petrus4
 


It's not fundamentally inaccurate. It's just misunderstood to mean population when it has to do with wealth distribution. The top 1% (it's actually less than 1% because if you're making less than 250k you're as voiceless as someone on welfare) owns 43% of the wealth in the US alone. That 1% are the ones buying our government out from under the rest of us or the 99%.


I can agree with that definition.



posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by XPLodER
you are again using VAN JONES to try to distort what the 99% is,
we cant wait for the govenment to do the right thing by the 99%,


The single reason why the 99% meme bothers me, is because it is fundamentally inaccurate.

Protesters and activists are not 99% of the population. They are actually a much smaller number of people, in real, practical terms, than the elite 1% who they are protesting against.

Am I pointing this out as a statement of how I'd like things to be? No. Am I pointing this out as a statement of how things actually are? Yes.
edit on 19-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)


This is a common argument used to discredit.
The fact is they haven't claimed that their group IS the 99% of the population, that would be ridiculous to try to claim. If that were the case you wouldn't be able to move for the crowds of people protesting. It would look like Tahrir Sq all over the USA.

Their claim is that they are A PART OF and REPRESENTING THE ANGER OF the 99% of the public who work hard, play by the rules, try to get a comfortable existence for themselves and their families, and are continuously attacked and robbed by those in the 1%.



new topics

top topics
 
5
<< 2  3  4   >>

log in

join