It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL forcing fans to see shrink if too unruly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The NFL is shrink-rapping football fans.

Unruly fans booted from stadiums this year will be required to pass a code-of-conduct exam — or they won’t be allowed back in for another game.

The idea was hatched by a licensed psychotherapist, The New York Post has learned.

“We’re not trying to squash anyone’s passion. We’re just trying to say don’t be violent,” said Dr. Ari Novick, the Californian who’s the brains behind the program.

Requirements will vary depending on the stadium, but most of the time the stadium louts will have to pass the test before being allowed back in, he said.

The classes are an effort to stem the rising tide of ugly stadium behavior that has included everything from bare-knuckle brawls to lewd Jets fans who screamed obscenities at women until they exposed their breasts in a rude Gate D tradition at the old Giants Stadium.

source: www.foxnews.com...

So I was reading this and at first it seemed like an ok idea but then the conspiracy theorist in me kicked in. I got to thinking about it and it seems to me like another way to open the door toward control. I mean it starts out as just people that are acting like idiots but how long until they start with lesser things like making a snide remark or laughing at the wrong time. I think it is a ploy to force people to see more crappy head doctors and another way for them to milk us dry. I mean the idiots bother me but why not just arrest those that get out of control and harm others? they already have laws that punish these people I believe it will be the people that dont really deserve this who are going to suffer. People letting loose and and partying at a sports match is a cultural norm. How long until they have us all sitting in silence and acting like we are all at an opera performance when it comes to all public entertainment? What are your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
What do they do to players that intentionally hurt others?

How many shrinks do teams like Cincinnati need?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
well they obviously want to attract as many people as possible to the events so they can extract as much cash from them as possible now idiots shouting at someones daughter to reveal her charms etc will not go down well with alot of parents and as such will probably make them look for another event to spend the day leaving them to have days when the stadium is not full and blackouts of showing it on the local networks? costing them serious money.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
The NFL is shrink-rapping football fans.

Unruly fans booted from stadiums this year will be required to pass a code-of-conduct exam — or they won’t be allowed back in for another game.

The idea was hatched by a licensed psychotherapist, The New York Post has learned.

“We’re not trying to squash anyone’s passion. We’re just trying to say don’t be violent,” said Dr. Ari Novick, the Californian who’s the brains behind the program.

Requirements will vary depending on the stadium, but most of the time the stadium louts will have to pass the test before being allowed back in, he said.

The classes are an effort to stem the rising tide of ugly stadium behavior that has included everything from bare-knuckle brawls to lewd Jets fans who screamed obscenities at women until they exposed their breasts in a rude Gate D tradition at the old Giants Stadium.

source: www.foxnews.com...

So I was reading this and at first it seemed like an ok idea but then the conspiracy theorist in me kicked in. I got to thinking about it and it seems to me like another way to open the door toward control. I mean it starts out as just people that are acting like idiots but how long until they start with lesser things like making a snide remark or laughing at the wrong time. I think it is a ploy to force people to see more crappy head doctors and another way for them to milk us dry. I mean the idiots bother me but why not just arrest those that get out of control and harm others? they already have laws that punish these people I believe it will be the people that dont really deserve this who are going to suffer. People letting loose and and partying at a sports match is a cultural norm. How long until they have us all sitting in silence and acting like we are all at an opera performance when it comes to all public entertainment? What are your thoughts?

I'm all for it, it's a great idea.

You think that the owners of these teams and facilities want people to be ...

..sitting in silence and acting like we are all at an opera performance...

Not at all, they know exactly what that would do to their attendance numbers, and what it would take away from the experience of attending sporting events.

What's wrong with these people not wanting a safe environment, that even an 11 yr old can walk around and not be exposed to craziness. Sure, let them see people drunk, even their parents maybe... and they ultimately see some drunks acting like fools, but there is a line. If someone is caught committing acts that warrant their removal from the stadium, I have absolutely no problem with the NFL requiring that these people seek help before coming back to their establishment.

Either way you try to slice it, to allow a person back into an establishment who already has exhibited behavior that required their removal from the premises, based on safety concerns... the owners and league have a right. It even goes as far as protecting the players.

Yeah the first time a fan may have drank, thrown a cup, poured a beer on someone, yelled some insulting BS at another fan, even harassed female fans into showing their breasts... all inappropriate behavior, yet maybe still subjective as to the level of morality. But once someone demonstrates this behavior, it is to be at least acknowledge that this may be a pattern for this particular individual, and next time, it could be something more serious.

I could go on and on in defending this decision, but I feel that some critical thinking about this... would make it fairly clear as to why, and the pros and cons of this move, leading to a favorable opinion of it.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

I can see what you're saying, but I can't help but have a part of me like this idea. I'm not a sports fan, so I've never really gone to a sports game or anything, but I have gone to a WWE event almost 10 years back. My brother and I grew up on WWF/WWE, so I thought it would be a good present for him, to take him to a live show. Well, I didn't realize how long it really was between matches, and to be honest, I actually saw more fights in the audience, than in the entire 2 shows that were filmed. At first I was excited/retarded about it, until I saw something that made me sad. I saw a young boy standing there, as his dad was in a fist fight with a guy behind them. Now I'm not saying the dad was innocent, but he didn't strike me as the normal wrestling fan. He looked like the type of father that wanted to do something good for his son, and take him to a live wrestling event.

Now the guy he was in a fight with, had a sleeveless shirt on, both arms decked out in tattoo's, and had a partial mullet. Now I am speculating here, but I got the impression the guys behind them did something to upset the father, they had an argument, and a fight ensued. What really saddened me was watching security grab the guys, and drag them out of the arena. The poor guy, who couldn't have older than 10, was standing there, alone, confused. I don't know how long he was there before security came to get him, but it made me sad. These stadiums fill these guys with crap beer, and once the testosterone fills the arena, retarded fights just break out.

To make matters worse, my brother and I were outside the movie theater nearby after the show, waiting for our ride. This truck drove by, with two guys talking # to everyone they drove past, and some girl behind us yelled at them to shut the f*** up. Well, they slammed the breaks, got out of their car, and started picking a fight with my brother and I. Scary thing is, one of them had an aluminum baseball bat. Well, after a few moments, some hispanic male came up, asked "What's up motherf******?", and started swinging at the guy with the bat. Next thing I know, there's 10 guys hitting each other, and people screaming.

The fight got bad, and I got my brother out of there. I wasn't about to let him get hurt by some drunk gang-bangers. Well, as we were trying to leave the area, we saw the original truck pull up to a sewer opening, and dump the bat. So some poor sod got hit pretty hard with that bat that night. It really saddened me to see that many people in an area, drunk off of their butts, getting into pointless fights.

Now if that happens at a wrestling event, I can only imagine how a football stadium must be with people really passionate about their sport. I don't like the control aspect, but there is a part of me that agrees with that. If you're unruly, and get kicked out for it, you really should prove that you'll be better the next time.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Yeah like I stated I thought it was an ok idea but then I got to thinking about where its heading. People in mass are raving lunatics and dangerous to others. I just think its heading down the wrong path. they already have punishments and ban some people, why this now? how often do shrinks actually fix anything?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

Yeah like I stated I thought it was an ok idea but then I got to thinking about where its heading. People in mass are raving lunatics and dangerous to others. I just think its heading down the wrong path. they already have punishments and ban some people, why this now? how often do shrinks actually fix anything?

Yes, they already have punishments and ban people... but the question is, is 'Banning' truly the fix-all solution for those individuals? Just think in regards to the justice system and prisons... is placing a person in an prison for an extended period of time truly the most effective way in changing the underlying reason for them behaving in such a manner? Or is it more appropriate to address the true cause of their behaviors?

It's not even about, 'how often do shrinks actually fix anything'... it's not even that shrinks fix anything in the first place... They allow for an individual to fix themselves through reasoning, and identifying what has lead to them to act like they do in the first place. Which is like a moment of 'revelation' for many individuals, allowing then for them to 'fix' themselves. This obviously only goes so far, especially if any 'disorders' are identified, but can be highly effective in helping 'normal' people address whatever tendencies they may have towards 'slipping' or 'deviating' from 'normal' behavior.

The right path, is to address the means and to identify the 'cause' in which has given an undesirable 'effect'. The wrong path is to apply 'punishment' to these individuals in hopes that it somehow makes them 'change'. Granted, while being subjected to punishment will make people think twice about their actions, and possible make them do some deep thinking on their own. But this isn't always the case... and this is where the 'shrink' comes in.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I agree with you it sounds good in concept but the whole point of the post is whether this is going to be taken too far. A ban wouldnt be fixing the problem or any other issues but going this direction is a problem. I mean they can create a space for families to go where they will be safe if they do so desire it. Maybe impose an alcohol limit for said space. People know what goes on at football games but they still take their family and are offended when they see inappropriate behavior? IMO people need to get off their high horse and toughen up. The security of this nation is an illusion and will eventually fail. People are too sensitive and need to accept that people go to games to have a good time and when alcohol is being sold with no limit there are going to be unruly people being jackasses. Sending them to a shrink would be a lot less effective than banning them from alcohol use on the property. it just seems a bit extreme.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
If it gets taken too far, people will just stop going to those games and the sports franchises will lose money. That's how it will keep itself in-check. If this were some kind of mandatory event, I would share your concerns, but since people have a choice to go or not, the point is moot.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietInsanity
If it gets taken too far, people will just stop going to those games and the sports franchises will lose money. That's how it will keep itself in-check. If this were some kind of mandatory event, I would share your concerns, but since people have a choice to go or not, the point is moot.

You and Charlie Sheen are both still winning in my book!

I'm done with this thread, you about summed it up. This won't be taken too far, and if it does, it will be evident and those who invest in the NFL will address it, for they don't want to loose money.

new topics

top topics

join