It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if an alien race makes contact in 2012, what would be the effect on world wide religon?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Will be discover that Christian, Hebraic, Islamic, Indu religion and all the other religions worl-wide are ALL absolutely correct...

BECAUSE...The very next Contact will be not with only one "Alien" species, but SEVERAL AND DIFFERENT SPECIES AT THE SAME TIME...
edit on 15-4-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by grumpydaysleeper
what effect?
one word--devastating.
It would make many question the validity of their beliefs.

maybe this is what is meant by a new beginning, i hope so, some of these religions need a good slap to the head.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by vister74

Well can't speak for other religions, but I'm sure christianity would chalk it up the same way they did the dinosaurs...just another trick of the devil to keep you from jesus

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It would just depend maybe aliens have there own believes who knows? That's only if this were to happen big if. I myself would still believe in God you can't just change your mind in five minutes because someone tells you one thing or another. But why if there were proof of otherwise why just believe in God anyhow it's a good kind way.What else can I say.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
How do you know the Aliens won't be religious, or rather, practice monotheism similar to our current systems? Religion is a form of population control, why would an alien species be above it? Sure, the aliens who visit us may be scientists who will likely dismiss of religious dogma, but that does not mean that members of their species do not worship deities.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
You know, religion would suffer but spirituality would barely budge. Honestly

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The way I see it there should be no effect on religion at all.

If aliens came to us tomorrow and told us definitively that life in the universe exists everywhere, wouldn't that only serve to prove that Gods works are much greater than we ever imagined? If god is the first source and center of all that exists than aliens from another planet or even a different dimension are all part of the Divine plan.

And most Hindus you meet are very open about belief in other worlds and what we would call e.t. It's pretty much like telling someone the sky is blue, they just kind of look at you and go.... 'and'?

I think the primary issue would come from Christian groups and Muslim groups. To, them aliens could be received as something demonic that should be avoided at all costs. But hopefully most people in these groups would be ignored if the situation ever did come up.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Catholic priest have said they would baptize a alien. look it up

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Would life from another planet prove that religion is wrong? Who is to say that GOD didn't create other life forms on other worlds since he created the whole universe? That's how i would see it from a religious persons perspective.

I am NOT religious and don't believe in a GOD so that is not my view but I respect others beliefs and can't see how having alien life show up would prove anything different to them.

It does not say in the Bible anywhere that ONLY this planet was created or does it say ONLY humans were created nor does it say that life wasn't created elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Accept Origin, or you will be destroyed by the Ori.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

They could start an intergalactic war if the alien younglings are abused.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Christ said he was coming back and this "alien contact" event might be staged to appear as that promise come to pass. Then again it might indeed be some figure from ancient texts returning as foretold. Many religions incorporate angels and the like, beings who come from heaven to earth and so religions can still survive with tweaks and adjustments perhaps...Frankly, what happens to religion should be the least of our concerns. Do they come in peace?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The only 'return or invasion' of any kind of E.Ts will probably be staged, faked for the elites benefit with the ideas and conditioning from Hollywood movies and trash media. If it were real, you'd know instantly.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

IMO it would encourage everybody to take a second look at their interpretation of the wording / teachings of their respective religious convictions.
After all, if you replace the word god / gods with alien / aliens, it makes them all seem to say the same thing to some degree.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Alien may not be vicious. why could they have religion,too?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Actually, I think a better question might be: "What if alien MISSIONARIES landed and wanted to convert all of us backward, savage, humans over to their religion.

There's already precedence with Christian missionaries destroying/tampering with aboriginal cultural heritages all over the planet in an attempt to convert as many backwards primitive savages as they think they can get converted. Why not aliens doing the same thing, but to us?

Funny.

Why does that remind me of"the chronicles of riddick?" Convert or die human. Until underverse come we travel the cosmos converting all who will obey,and destroying all those who resist. Id have to ask..can i get a shine job first?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
If aliens came down, I'd say most religious people would believe that it's just demons and that the Rapture would soon follow. It would be the armaggedon that the Bible talks about, and they would all be waiting for their souls to rise. They wouldn't believe in aliens if the alien was probing them in the butt.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Q33323

Hallowed are the Ori.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
can we talk to them??? persue to live piss

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

I think religions would take the issue and fit it into their respective ideologies so as to create minimum fuss. Personally I would be more concerned about certain individuals and how they handle it? I know several people who would struggle.

For instance my mother in law is a salt of the earth type, she stays within her box. If she got news that aliens had made contact she simply wouldn't accept it as to her aliens don't exist and are the stuff of fiction. How being faced with this truth would affect her on a deeper level is anyone's guess? I think it would rock the foundation of her reality.

Religions of the world will play a big part in reassuring the population that everything is OK in such an event. I think a sizeable slice of the global population will just not be able to handle it otherwise. The whole culture shock will need to be managed by governments and religions working hand in hand.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join