It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Cosby Weighs In On Trayvon Martin Case (Gun Control)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by reitze

Originally posted by randomname
well, mr. cosby most likely lives in a gated community patrolled by armed guards and has people running errands for him.
he doesn't need a gun because he has paid people to do it for him.
what if you're not a multi-millionaire entertainer, are you supposed to have no way of defending yourself.

If not he's made it clear its safe to rob his house.

i'm in. i could use some jello pudding.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demention
What I don't understand is, why is a self appointed neighborhood watchman carrying a gun? Why not pepper spray? I mean security guards around here in California carry around pepper spray and a buton and a cell phone to alert authorities. I don't think zimmerman was out to kill anyone, but carrying around pepper spray sounds more appropriate especially for a SELF APPOINTED watchman.

Exactly! What was Zimmerman doing carrying a gun period? The man has an injunction against him for domestic violence which makes him ineligible to posses a firearm under US Code 18. It is also unlawful for him to posses a gun under Florida law since under Florida Statute Chapter 61 anyone whom is the respondent in a DV injunction that has been granted must relinquish all firearms and "lethal weapons".

The bigger question here is why did the police allow him to be a neighborhood watch officer in the first place considering his record and they had to have known of it since they are required by law to perform background checks on all neighborhood watch applicants. I am a Level II FFL license holder with a Class III tax certificate so by law I can sell all NFA firearms and am allowed to posses automatic machine guns and destructive devises such as flashbangs and HE and phosphorus grenades and anytime a person comes to me to purchase a firearm and I get a Title 18 restriction I am required to notify law enforcement. So why did the Sanford PD allow this man to be a neighborhood watch officer?

You can go on the Orange County FL Clerk of Courts website and view his court records for yourself.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
I mean serious why do people need to have assault rifles in their homes?

First off, please do not spout media popular terms like "assault rifle" when you clearly have no idea what it even is. There is no such thing as the media's definition of "assault rifle". There are magazine fed rifles, bolt action rifles, lever action rifles, but to call something an "assault rifle" because it's black and has a big magazine and is scary looking is stupid.

Secondly, we have them in our homes because it is our right. If you actually bothered looking up crime statistics, you would see "assault" rifles owned by citizens in homes account for virtually zero gun crime. The VAST majority of gun crime in America is in urban areas, and perpetrated by desperate African American gentlemen (and other races, to a lesser degree). There is next to no crime happening with people who own guns for self defense and shooting. Law abiding citizens don't usually go on shooting sprees. Of course, there's exceptions to everything. Accidents (or real crime) can happen anywhere, but as a rule, most gun crime happens in urban areas with stolen handguns off the black market.
edit on 17-4-2012 by CRDDD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CRDDD

First off, please do not spout media popular terms like "assault rifle" when you clearly have no idea what it even is

Being an ex soldier I know exactly what an assault rifle is, perhaps you should nott ASSume what knowledge others have, especially as I had already stated I was an ex soldier.

but to call something an "assault rifle" because it's black and has a big magazine and is scary looking is stupid.

An assault rifle is very different from a blot action rifle or a lever action rifle. An assault rifle typically has a shorter barrel due to its effective range is designed to be between 200 - 300 meters as opposed to 500 - 800 meters on a typical bolt action rifle. This is to increase mobility with the weapon and also to reduce the weight and encumbrance. They are magazine fed because they alternate between semi automatic and full automatic fire. Whilst both Bolt action and lever action rifles can be fitted with magazines they do not offer semi automatic and fully automatic fire. A typical example of an assault rifle would be an AK47 or an M16 and are designed for use in mid to short range combat. And assault rifle was a term created by the military not the media so get your facts straight.

Secondly, we have them in our homes because it is our right. If you actually bothered looking up crime statistics, you would see "assault" rifles owned by citizens in homes account for virtually zero gun crime. The VAST majority of gun crime in America is in urban areas, and perpetrated by desperate African American gentlemen....

I never said it wasn't your right, and in fact stated in both posts that i was just giving an opinion and not trying to enforce my views on anyone, the aggression in your post tells me what an ignorant arsehole you are, and blaming gun crime, or at least implying that nearly all gun crime is down to African Americans shows just what a racist you are also. If you need an assault rifle in your home, I would also suggest you are a coward
edit on 17-4-2012 by PrinceDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I agree with Mr. Puddin-Pop's opinion accept it wasn't the gun alone. It's the mentality of the person carrying the gun. I've had to carry a gun for assignment a few times. At first, it does give a feeling of empowerment but for me, it was not one of dominance. It was more of a safety net.

I was comfortable that I could judge if the situation required me to brandish it. I was comfortable that my judgement would tell me if I needed to pull the trigger with the intent to kill. However, I was also confident that I would avoid either of those situations if at all possible. I didn't go looking for trouble and I was fortunate it didn't find me. Zimmerman went looking for trouble because of his mindset.

In the Martin case, a cell phone with video camera would have been a better weapon if Martin was in fact doing something illegal. But Zimmerman went into the situation feeling like a bad a$$. The gun contributed to that. But the gun does not have judgement or self control.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join