It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Cosby Weighs In On Trayvon Martin Case (Gun Control)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

The Police are not around to protect you.
They are there to keep the peace. And if you are killed to investigate the murder and try to bring that person to justice.

If they happen to save a life then good for them. But remember they can't be everywhere.

And if you don't have a gun to protect yourself then you can be killed by some low life scum.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
reply to post by OldCorp

The problem here is that you're stereotyping everyone who disagrees with you as a "typical progressive". What does that even mean? Someone who thinks differently to you?

Everyone who disagrees with me? Have you taken a poll of all of them? I've called very few people "progressive," probably because it does sound better than pinko commie. Why do I call Mr. Cosby a Progressive (pinko commie)? Maybe it was this little bit of ass-kissery:

WASHINGTON -- Entertainer Bill Cosby defended President Obama on Sunday, saying that his critics do not acknowledge the obstacles he has faced in office.

“I'm disappointed at people who don't look at the woes and the trouble given to this man,” Cosby told CNN’s Candy Crowley, referring to allies on the left who have complained about the administration. “People blatantly speaking out against his color, wasting time, starting up new stories about whether or not he was born here, saying things that they can't prove.” Bill Cosby 'disappointed' in critical Obama supporters

PUHLEEEEEZEEEEE!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I am licensed to carry concealed. I carried it to a Sam's Club. It prevented me from being stabbed and robbed in broad daylight. I carried it to the gas station and it prevented a mental patient with a violent history from shanking me in the parking lot and taking my car and money. I carried it to another gas station on a road trip. It stopped two meth-heads from beating me to death with a tire iron. Not once did I fire a shot. However, I continued on with my life, property, and money.

Nearly anytime you hear a person licensed to carry concealed say "yet," there is a commonly understood, even if not said, "and lord willing I never will," that follows behind it. According to statistics taken from nearly every state that requires permits for concealed carry, people that carry concealed are 8 times less likely to be arrested for any crime. They are also 14 times less likely to be arrested for any form of gun crime than the general population. The idea that people that carry concealed have John Wayne fantasies is old hat and a played out cliché unsupported by any evidence.
edit on 15-4-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Mr. Cosby, being a typical progressive, would probably say, "You should have called the police, they are trained to handle things like that."

No, the majority people would have been glad that you stopped the murder.

But you are mixing apples and oranges, if you were unarmed and I suspected you
of some BS, followed you, got in fight with you and shot you dead, that would be
the difference. So your confabulation is what is sort of gross about your logic

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

pinko commie

Okay, thanks for that.
An credibility you may have had is now lost.

Oh, and the 1970's called, they want their stereotypical political extremism back.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

In some areas I can understand carrying. I don't live in one of those areas.

Let me tell you a story, since it's story time. Once when I was 16 I was out late with some friends. It was probably after 1am. My beater car broke down so we pushed it into a grocery store parking lot and I headed inside to get something (this was a long time ago, I don't remember what.) As I approached the doors there was middle aged biker couple walking through ahead of me. As I went to go through the door the man looked over his shoulder at me and made it obvious when he moved his jacket up and pulled his gun just about half way out that he wanted me to see it. I backed off and I think even raised my hands. I was VERY frightened. I had no intention of robbing the guy or even talking to him. This was the kind of guy that hit his own kids.. HARD.

I was a pretty normal kid - wasn't dressed abnormally, pants fit, shirt fit, jacket fit, short hair, no piercings and no weapons.. I wasn't too close to these people, I don't like getting close to dirty looking strangers.

My point is there are definitely legal gun owners out there who have a screw loose and are looking for a reason to pull that thing out and use it. I know people in my own personal life who I believe fit this profile. Guns probably shouldn't be available to anyone but the problem is unless someone has committed a prior offense or has shown some other red flag they are going to get it. People are great at talking themselves into bad decisions - especially when it's something they want. Alot of people fantasize about and want to use their weapons.

It's idealistic to think no one should have guns, because as the old cliche goes when you take legal guns you leave illegal guns in the hands of criminals - I see this and agree 100%. In a perfect utopian unicorn fantasy land no one has guns, we're all armed with glitter and rainbows but in the real world LOTS of people have them.

And on a side note, meh to the jackasses who think it's cool to open carry in a walmart. If someone decides to rob the place you're going down first.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

pinko commie

Okay, thanks for that.
An credibility you may have had is now lost.

Oh, and the 1970's called, they want their stereotypical political extremism back.

Thank you. I learned from the best.

Geez dude, it's called a sense of humor. Get one.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Mr. Cosby, a Navy veteran, said “the gun” empowered Mr. Zimmerman, whose actions have stirred a firestorm of debate, protests and remarks from President Obama.

“Without a gun, I don’t see Mr. Zimmerman approaching Trayvon by himself,” Mr. Cosby explained. “The power-of-the-gun mentality had him unafraid to confront someone. Even police call for backup in similar situations.

“When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody,” he said." ~SOURCE

I've carried a firearm since 1981 and I haven't killed anyone yet. In fact, the only time my weapon has ever left it's holster outside of a target range was the ONE time I pointed it at another human being. I drew down on a man in a Detroit Wendy's drive-thru, who was so pissed at his wife he thought it would be a good idea to cave in her skull with a tire iron right in front of my car.

exactly, you dont carry a gun for show, you draw it with every intention of using it. and so did zimmermann

1. Always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction. Don’t point it at anything that you don’t intend to shoot.

2. Always treat every gun as if it were loaded.

3. Know your target and what is beyond and behind it.

4. Keep your finger off of the trigger until ready to shoot.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
What I don't understand is, why is a self appointed neighborhood watchman carrying a gun? Why not pepper spray? I mean security guards around here in California carry around pepper spray and a buton and a cell phone to alert authorities. I don't think zimmerman was out to kill anyone, but carrying around pepper spray sounds more appropriate especially for a SELF APPOINTED watchman.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

See, it's people like you, that know how to correctly use a weapon. People who have the mentality as using it for protection, a threat that will stop someone dead in their tracks without firing. Zimmerman could of pulled it out without shooting Martin and im sure Martin would of took off running, but considering the stupidity Zimmerman had already done by chasing after him, this would probably of been an inevitable situation.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Well yes. The intention is to kill. As is the same with practically anything from knives, to fingernails.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
You know when the gun crazies are bashing Bill Fuc*ing Cosby, they really have nothing else to bitch about.

Don't you guys have something else to do or some Tea Party "rally" to go to at some mall?

G'day.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
This is getting ridiculous. I'm sorry but guns don't kill people, people kill people. Without the person pulling the trigger all a gun can do is sit and collect dust. Guns don't have feelings or sense. People with emotional problems are the ones that shouldn't be allowed to have guns. If they want gun violence to stop they need to have a test made that can tell by just listening to your voice if you plan to harm someone with a gun or not. Taking guns away though and only leaving military and street thugs left with them isn't gonna make anything better. If anything it will just make more people dead in our streets.

Also while i'm talking bout this. Why is 1 kid making big head lines over this when i'm sure MILLIONS of people die every day from gun violence, but yet this kid Trayvon is the one kid that is gonna make US citizens not able to carry guns for protection? I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
If this article is the first time you've ever heard the saying, "If you own a gun you're eventually going to use it." Then well, too bad for you to hear it for the first time. Because unless you had time in the military, or law enforcement, guns are for hunting. If you own a gun for extra security, then you have to ask yourself how necessary is it to own a gun when not using it for hunting?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

In some areas I can understand carrying. I don't live in one of those areas.

I can't count how many times I've read a news article where the shocked citizens of a given locale said, "stuff like that never happens here." Even a city built by Disney and murder free for 14 years had a murder and attempted suicide by police in the same week. That area can be anywhere.

No house on my street has ever been broken in to. That did not stop two guys from attempting a home invasion on my 80+ year old neighbor, during a snow/ice storm. I happened to be at home and was able to put an end to it through quick talk and the presence of a rifle.

My point is that any area can be one of those areas. Even Zimmerman's gated community had turned in to one of those areas with numerous break ins prior to the now infamous night. Crime is like the stock market past performance is not indicative of future results, all transactions and actions carry a risk.

Let me tell you a story, since it's story time.

So a dirty looking "biker" shows you a gun and that has some reflection on legal gun owners? Did you stop to ask the gentleman if that was a legally purchased gun? Did you ask him if he was barred from owning a gun under current federal law? The truth is you have no idea of whether or not the guy legally owned that gun. Good way to tell a completely unrelated story that in no way backs up your statement.

My point is there are definitely legal gun owners out there who have a screw loose and are looking for a reason to pull that thing out and use it.

Yes there are. All you have to do is look at Virginia Tech or Fort Hood. However, when it comes to boisterous posing at the gun shop, it is 99% bravado. These guys are trying to look tough and be the alpha male in a group of guys that usually have more testosterone than the average. What they don't realize is that they actually look like idiots to the vast majority of people in the gun shop. If you go to gun related forums on the internet you will see 20 and 30 page threads making fun of these guys.

They are the same lifeless guys that brag about being in "Nam" even though they were twelve when that war ended. There are the guys that brag about being a "civilian special forces contract sniper." It is just like when you walk in to Dick's or Champs and hear a golfer talking about how he made an eagle on the same hole Tiger Woods bogeyed. Then there are the guys in th weight section talking about how they can squat 420lbs, and yet they have legs like twigs.

Anywhere men gather some will tell lies for acceptance and once the stories start they grow out of proportion to reality. It happens no matter the subject at hand. Men will exaggerate reality and tell fantasy as fact to gain a position of respect or more. Some take it much further and they may get ridiculed or dismissed. They rarely get called on it because the shop keeper has to make money and social norms tell us it isn't our place. It doesn't mean gun owners are sitting around fantasizing about being Rambo. It means we have our fair share of braggarts and liars just like any other interest.

And on a side note, meh to the jackasses who think it's cool to open carry in a walmart. If someone decides to rob the place you're going down first.

The North Carolina Supreme Court once ruled that they never hoped a man had to carry his firearm hidden from sight like a scoundrel. They found that any and all men ought to be free to carry their arms openly as long as they were not engaging in actions that were threatening or harassing.

Also, according to a DOJ study done in the 1990s somewhere around 55% of convicted felons surveyed admitted they had refrained from attacking a target they new was armed. Chances are that guy with the gun on his hip is more likely to scare away an attack than be the target of an attack.

I don't do it but, if I see somebody I nod and wink. God bless them for carrying on with their god/creator given rights.

edit on 16-4-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

No the intention is to stop a threat. You do not shoot to wound, and you do not shoot to kill. You shoot to stop. Sometimes that will lead to death. Much more commonly it does not lead to death. It leads to a seriously injured and scared person quiting the action that caused you an imminent fear of death, grave bodily injury, or rape.

If you take suicides out of the equation, about 70% of people that get shot survive. Guns are not a magical death ray.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Cosby's son Ennis was murdered in 1997, robbed and shot by a man on the freeway as the younger Cosby was changing a flat tire. If Ennis had been armed, I wonder if he would still be alive today?

I never like this kind of argument. The whole idea of 'oh this person wouldn't be dead if they carried a weapon' or 'it stops people with weapons getting me'. I just wonder, how quickly do you draw your gun? If somebody came up to you while changing a tire, presumably from behind or something, how do you know they plan to pull a gun? you might not even see them before they have it out? What's going to happen when you go for your gun? They'll probably shoot you before you pull it out. Also would it be on you, or just in your car? I mean, I understand the benefits of having it if you saw somebody approaching your car at some lights late at night, and you put your hand on it, but in most situations I don't see how you'd have time to pull your gun.

Of course i'm not hugely educated on guns, I just want to understand how you could get your gun out quickly enough to get a criminal, who most likely already was planning on using his weapon, thus would have it ready.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
You know when the gun crazies are bashing Bill Fuc*ing Cosby, they really have nothing else to bitch about.

Don't you guys have something else to do or some Tea Party "rally" to go to at some mall?

G'day.

I rarely post here, and while I own a few firearms, I'd say I'm hardly a "gun crazy". You are calling everyone who takes issue with Cosby's statement a gun crazy. Do you realize how moronic and juvenile that is? It's like saying "This guy owns guns, he's such a poopy head!!!" Are you saying because Cosby is a well known celebrity people shouldn't be allowed to criticize him when he makes a statement many are going to disagree with?

And who said ANYTHING about the Tea Party? Why are you blindly labeling everyone? So many questions for you, but I'm sure they will all go unanswered like with most anti-freedom trolls.

I noticed this thread of yours. You express joy over the death of a dictator, but if it were up to people like you, the government would be making decisions for citizens and taking away their rights.
edit on 16-4-2012 by CRDDD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

The 911 recording that supports Zimmerman's story has been removed from the City of Sanford's web site at the request of the Special Prosecutor.

If I get called for jury duty, I will play it for the judge as my reason for not wanting to be part of a "politically correct" show trial.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
cant you people just drop this whole thing?!!! now you using bill cosby to start a thread!
this is getting stupid. its like you want a riot to start so you can post it here.
deny ignorence would ya!

Why? If you don't like a thread, why even post in it? There is something called "ignore" you should try it.

Back to the topic, Here is my take on this. I agree with the OP that TPTB are now trying to use the zimmerman story to promote the take away of the second amendment. What wasn't said in the news was that martin was in fact a drug dealer. While zimmerman could have made racist remarks. In this case both were wrong and both shouldnt even have made top story. How many teens, people die in gunfire every year anyways? Gang related violence etc? and most of those guns are illegal anyways.

But you dont hear those stories in the news, why? Its what most people already know. So what are the msm targetting now? hmmm legal guns.

This is why people wont drop this subject, because the obvious conspiracy is in view and the establishment thinks most people are stupid and will buy into anything. Good news is cnn faux news etc are losing more than half their viewers while alot are switching to the net for the REAL news.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join