It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Cosby Weighs In On Trayvon Martin Case (Gun Control)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Cosby's son Ennis was murdered in 1997, robbed and shot by a man on the freeway as the younger Cosby was changing a flat tire. If Ennis had been armed, I wonder if he would still be alive today?

Or if enough law abiding citizens carried guns perhaps one could have stopped that murder from happening.

The 2nd Amendment recognizes that there is evil in the world, and it reaffirms our natural right to defend ourselves and our fellows from that evil.

Trained men (and women) of goodwill MUST be allowed to carry licensed weapons. Take away that right, and the old truism comes into play - "...only criminals will have guns."

This is partly true. In most states in the USA your gun does Not have to have a license or registration, nor do you need a permit to carry a gun.

In most states you do need a permit to carry a weapon that you intend to keep concealed, but not if your going to openly carry it on your hip for everyone to see. Most states constitutions uphold the individuals right to carry the gun openly with no license, permit or registration. Check with your state laws before you open carry or go to www.opencarry.org for more info.

Many law abiding gun owners do not like the idea of giving a corrupt government the heads up that you, John Smith at 123 Main St. Anytown USA owns a handgun.

I have seen corrupt cops take guns away from law abiding citizens claiming it's because they could not provide proof of registration. In most states, there is no such thing as proof of gun registration unless your concealing the weapon. These folks were left with no weapon to defend themselves and their families.

These folks didn't question it because they just believed everything the cops told them. Know your rights, and know the laws of your state!!!

Carrying a gun that is not registered or licensed does not make you a gangster or show that you have any ill intentions.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Bill Cosby, another useful idiot for the establishment.
edit on 15-4-2012 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I think the OP's statement says ALOT about the mentality of MOST people who CCW.

"I take exception to Mr. Cosby's comment that, “When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody.” I've carried a firearm since 1981 and I haven't killed anyone yet"

YET. Your choice of words has implications..

I agree with Bill Cosby that Zimmerman was LOOKING for trouble and that's why he took it upon himself to carry a gun and stalk strangers in his neighborhood. Definitely the gun empowered him and I don't believe he would have confronted Martin without it.

I am licensed to concealed carry and I never have carried outside of outdoors wilderness activities.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
reply to post by OldCorp

I think the OP's statement says ALOT about the mentality of MOST people who CCW.

"I take exception to Mr. Cosby's comment that, “When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody.” I've carried a firearm since 1981 and I haven't killed anyone yet"

YET. Your choice of words has implications..

I agree with Bill Cosby that Zimmerman was LOOKING for trouble and that's why he took it upon himself to carry a gun and stalk strangers in his neighborhood. Definitely the gun empowered him and I don't believe he would have confronted Martin without it.

I am licensed to concealed carry and I never have carried outside of outdoors wilderness activities.

All my choice of words implies is that I understand that someday I may have to defend myself or another; and they specifically state I have carried a weapon for over 30 years without incident.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by wWizard
I think he is actually voicing his God-honest opinion here that guns should be heavily regulated.

Guns are heavily regulated. What more do people want to do about guns? Kids can't buy them. Felons can't have them. Background checks and wait times to buy them or even get a license to own one. Hunting/shooting regulations are in play everytime you shoot the darn things, except for defense, which is a whole different can of worms. Now you can't have mags/clips larger than X number of rounds. No explosive rounds. Special license to have full auto weapons. Barrel lenghts, overall lenghts, how it's loaded and EVEN COLOR are already regulated.

The only weapons that can be concealed, to my knowledge, are handguns. Handguns aren't the super-duper nuclear powered weapons MSM makes them out to be. Yes, .22 pistol can kill someone, but so could a Wrist-Rocket, and in Massachusetts, where I live, I can not purchase or own a Wrist-Rocket! I can have a Desert Eagle .50 cal gold plated pistol and carry nearly any where I want, but I can't go in my backyard and fling ball bearings.

So I ask, what else are they going to do now to step all over my rights as an American citizen to own and procure firearms for any darn reason I want??

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jough626

Originally posted by wWizard
I think he is actually voicing his God-honest opinion here that guns should be heavily regulated.

Guns are heavily regulated. What more do people want to do about guns? Kids can't buy them. Felons can't have them. Background checks and wait times to buy them or even get a license to own one. Hunting/shooting regulations are in play everytime you shoot the darn things, except for defense, which is a whole different can of worms. Now you can't have mags/clips larger than X number of rounds. No explosive rounds. Special license to have full auto weapons. Barrel lenghts, overall lenghts, how it's loaded and EVEN COLOR are already regulated.

Guns have some regulation but I would not say they are heavily regulated. Some of your information is a bit misleading.

In most states -
You do not have to have a license or registration to own a gun. You do not have to submit to a background check to legally purchase a gun.

You only have to submit to a background check with waiting period to purchase a new gun from a registered gun dealer.

I can legally in most states, purchase a used gun from any citizen. This gun does not have to be registered or licensed nor does the sale transaction have to be recorded by anyone or submitted to the state.

Some states very few, do require this but not most. Check with your state if in doubt.

People resell "new" guns all the time. There really is no need to subject yourself to this infringement of privacy and personal liberties by the government - unless you just really have to have a factory new gun.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

“When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody.”

I have just lost all respect I had for Bill Cosby. He is clearly an idiot. If anything, the OPPOSITE is true. I have a CCW, and when I carry, I am MORE careful NOT to get into situations where something bad might happen.

What a moron Bill Cosby.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

reply to post by OldCorp

What do you think a neighborhood watch does?? The do exactly that - they keep their eyes open for suspicious activity and report it. He was in fact looking for, or at least 'looking out for trouble' because that is what was expected of him. He carried a gun for self-defense like ALL people who have CCWs do. Nobody who legally possesses a handgun does so for the purpose of hunting humans. The people who do that do not carry them legally, DO they?

As for "confronting" Martin, I think you had better wait until the facts come out before you assume that. You heard that version, I heard that Martin turned on Zimmerman and confronted HIM.

edit on 15-4-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by OldCorp

“When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody,” he said."

what's he saying? Meaning if you have one it must be for offensive purposes? Is that what he's saying? Maybe in 'the hood' they are used exclusively for offensive reasons (sarcasm) ... but everyone I know who has a gun has it for self defense and protection. Sometimes self defense and self protection mean harming someone else before they can harm you. Better the bad guy gets nailed then me or my family.

edit on 4/15/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)
Indeed!

Cops carry guns, don't they Mr. Cosby? They are supposed to be carrying them in order to protect and serve us. Now that Mr. Cosby has enlightened us, we know they mean to harm, kill us!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

reply to post by OldCorp

What do you think a neighborhood watch does?? The do exactly that - they keep their eyes open for suspicious activity and report it. He was in fact looking for, or at least 'looking out for trouble' because that is what was expected of him. He carried a gun for self-defense like ALL people who have CCWs do. Nobody who legally possesses a handgun does so for the purpose of hunting humans. The people who do that do not carry them legally, DO they?

As for "confronting" Martin, I think you had better wait until the facts come out before you assume that. You heard that version, I heard that Martin turned on Zimmerman and confronted HIM.

edit on 15-4-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

He wasn't neighborhood watch first off. He was a self appointed vigilante.

Second, we have a neighborhood watch in my neighborhood, they don't follow people and don't confront people. Their purpose is to observe and report, kind of like mall cop. What is your local neighborhood watch's policy?

So if I appoint myself president to I get to make laws? If I appoint myself a pilot can I fly people to their destinations? I just appointed myself a dentist, time for a checkup!

I am still waiting, but the 911 call makes it pretty clear that Zimmerman approached Martin, followed him around a building.. At that point Martin may have attacked, but if he did so it was within his legal rights under Florida's Stand Your Ground law.

Anyway, I didn't want to argue the unclear facts of the case, but yes I have listened to, read, and reviewed all the info on this and it's apparent to me that had Zimmerman not been playing Batman Martin would have had a chance to enjoy his Skittles.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I only recently got my CCW - but the guy teaching the course and many of the people there were definitely a certain type of person that I wouldn't trust to be the most fair, honest, or morally inclined.

So having recently taken the class and recently started associating with people at gun stores and ranges, I'm under the impression that a lot of LEGAL gun owners are just itching for an excuse to use it. Maybe you are and maybe you aren't, but Bill Cosby has a valid point nonetheless.

I absolutely believe in the right to keep and bear arms, I'm just not foolish enough to think that all legal gun owners are upstanding members of society.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

This is kinda why I wish more people would go look at my thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

The way they will most likely try to take our guns away is by using the international community, sort of a loophole to the Constitution by being apart of the UN, and "upholding" a UN regulation.

They've already had UN "input" into the whole Treyvon/Zimmerman crap.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Reminds me of Rosie O'Donnell a few years ago. Funny how celebrities that can afford armed bodyguards will preach against guns.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Yea, it was wrong for him to say that if you carry a gun you plan on killing someone. However, I agree with the part of his comment that the gun gave Zimmerman extra confidence to approach Trayvon.

He brings up a valid point. Would Zimmerman have approached Trayvon if he wasn't carrying a gun? I would think the logical answer would be no. It was probably the reason why he ignored the officer when he was told not to pursue the subject.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wWizard

I think Bill hits home on a lot of things in the URBAN black community, and btw, I'm black, but to suggest HEAVILY regulating guns? Let's stay real here. CRIMINALS don't give a flying CRAP about regulations! Surely you jest. Regulations only hurt law abiding citizens because as anyone with an ounce of common sense knows, ( if common sense could be weighed), that if guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns! Bill also stated, and I'm paraphrasing here, that if you have a firearm, your intention is to harm, injure or kill. Someone needs to tell Bill that ORDINARY people need to have a capability to protect themselves from criminals.They're using the Trayvon case to come for the guns...I saw it coming.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Looky what I found:

As part of the larger context of what he said, Cosby's interview wasn't so bad. See how a reporter (like the one in my OP) can pick out one aspect of a story and spin it to make it fit an agenda?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
That last thing he said in the video was interesting.

He doesn't want someone protecting the neighborhood to have a gun. He doesn't want that person to get hurt nor to hurt someone else. He wants them to watch whats happening then get out of the way and report it.

Bill fails to realize that a good neighbor with a gun can save someones life. What if there were paid cops protecting the neighborhood? He doesn't want them to have a gun either? Bill fails to realize there is no difference between a good citizen with a gun or a cop with a gun. Doesn't he know by the time the cops arrive people could be dead?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

The problem here is that you're stereotyping everyone who disagrees with you as a "typical progressive". What does that even mean? Someone who thinks differently to you?

I am a liberal, a leftie, but I DO NOT believe in gun control. Why? Because people will kill people, guns or not. The fact that someone has access to a gun is no different to someone having access to a knife. Are we going to ban all knives too?

I live in the UK, and I don't think we should have the right to carry guns here. But American culture has developed with that right in place, so you already have much of the mentality there for it.

The freedom of the American people might one day depend on your ability to defend yourselves against an aggressor, and that is important and should never be removed.

Rather than argue about gun control (and calling people "typical progressives" like some sort of "typical right-wing Republican") how about confronting the real issues, like poverty, lack of opportunity, the massive economic chasm in the USA that is growing by the day and forcing people into a "survival" mentality?

Mr Crosby is well-meaning, but he falls into the category of being naive and thinking that the government in the USA will always be moderate, or that the states will always be secure. This is a stupid way to think, especially on the cusp of the greatest social and economic collapse the Human race has ever seen.

Germany was prosperous and stable before the economic collapse and Hitler rose to power. It was a liberal and open society much as we have now. Common decency and respect for others is not 20th century invention.

It happened there, it could happen anywhere.

That is why the American people should never give up their guns. And that's from a "typical progressive"

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I am going to repost a story of mine from one of the other posts, also discussing this case, as I think it is relevant.

I am white male, now nearly thirty, with a wife, a one year old kid, three dogs and two guns. I do not actively carry a gun. We live in a major city, in one of the centrally located "suburban" neighborhoods. There is a lot of crime in the surrounding areas, but our neighborhood is working class, and has a lot of families, so we don't see a whole lot of it. I am not a gun nut, but if you enter my house uninvited, I will shoot you. Otherwise, I am generally a pacifist.

Two years ago I came home on Christmas eve from my in-laws to grab something from our place. They live about five minutes away, so it was supposed to be a quick operation. I pull into the driveway (about 7pm, so it's dark) and my headlights fall on a person trying to get into our side door. For a moment, he and I are both equally stunned, and neither of us move for a second or two. While I could not tell it at the time, as he was wearing a hoodie, he was a young black man, probably 16-17 years old. I leave the high beams on him and hop out of the car. I asked him what he was doing at my house, and he was understandably short on answers. He apologized and started to walk away. I walked up to him and said something along the lines of, "Why are you trying to break into my house?" He said that he wasn't, and that I needed to leave him alone. That's when I let him really have it...

"Do I go to your house, break into your home, and steal your things?" He again apologized. "You have family here?" I asked him. "Yeah, I live with my mom," he said back. "Go home and be with your mom. It's Christmas Eve," was the last thing I said to him. He apologized again and said "alright".

I did a lot of really stupid things when I was a kid. So has my brother. Thankfully, we had good parents and communities who kept us from going to jail or worse, and we have turned out to be reasonably productive and peaceful members of society. But it would have taken one person with a hair up their butt to have changed that for either of us.

Kids will be kids. And yes, he was a young adult. Young adults do violent things sometimes and are sometimes responsible for incredibly terrible things. However... a vast majority of people are not evil. Even if they are doing stupid things, like trying to break into my house... they are generally not evil. I am glad that I was able to defuse that situation like I did, and I am proud of how I acted. I had the guts to tell this young man that what he was doing was wrong, and that he should think about his actions. One of the benefits of being a grown man is that my brain has finally worked itself out, and I am able to make reasonable and rational decisions (for the most part). Kids don't always have that. Kids need guidance from their parents and communities.

If you have the balls to carry a gun on your hip like a cowboy, have the balls to talk to a kid before you shoot him. The kid will be better for it, you will be better for it and the world will be better for it, I promise.

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
edit on 15-4-2012 by KringleFantastico because: Edit "an" to "am"

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
With constant repeats of idiot powered tools being used with lethal effect ,changing the tool isn't a solution,you have to change or control the idiot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join