It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh America Your So Fine,Your So Fine You Blow My Mind

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Hey America, Hey America

I get accused of being 'anti-American' often on ATS. It seem's that because I dare voice any criticism of the American Government and it's cheerleader's I am labelled 'Anti-American'. This is not the case at all. Being from Australia I have grown up being force fed your pop-culture. I cant help but to have a soft spot for you guy's. No matter how hard I rage against it.

One of my first memories was putting together a Red Baron model airplane with my Dad(pretty sure he did most of the work since I was like 2/3)but after that it was pretty much America. My pet cat was called Spiderman. I used to watch shows with my Dad like The Hulk,Chip's,Dukes Of Hazard.All this before we moved from Sydney , I was three when we moved.

Then I was playing with StarWars guys and He-Man.Marvel/DC,Watching American cartoon's. American children's movie's ,Watching The Wonderful World Of Disney. Watching WWF (had a toy ring and every guy) Watched the Hulkster fight against King Kong Bundy and Andre the Giant at Wrestlemania(The Macho Man was my favourite) Next it was 80's sitcom's. I liked Family Ties,The A-Team,Night Rider,Charles In Charge, Different Strokes,Doogie Howser,The Cosby Show,Saved By The Bell,Perfect Stranger's,The Wonder Year's, Webster,Growing Pain's,The Golden Girl's
,Murphy Brown
...........I could go on.

I liked movies like Back To The Future, Rocky 2,3,4, Arnie(he is American) with The Running Man,Terminator,Commando.I liked Police Academy, Spaceball's, Gremlin's,Ghost Buster's,Friday the 13th's,Nightmare On Elm Streets,Chucky......and a million more.

i was a teen when Micheal Jordan ruled the world. I wore Air Jordan's,Air Force,The Cons with the massive toungue,(I hated Reebok,Shaq could even get me to buy a pair). Would sit up and watch NBA final's late at night(remember New York vs Houston? Poor Patrick) I used to like the Spur's. I played NBA JAM, a million American Video Games.

It's not like I havent had a slight influence from England, we get their stuff too but it dropped off when I was a kid. The generation before me watched more British stuff than American.( 'American crap' seemed to be a popular term with my parents and friend's parent's) And its not like Australia doesnt have their own stuff. But by far the biggest influence on me growing up was American Pop culture. Metallica, Gun's And Roses, Nirvana,Pearl Jam,Rage Against the Machine,Soundgarden,Stone Temple Pilots..........million more.

My whole life I have been flooded and filled with American Pop Culture. I almost cant help to have a soft spot for American's. I couldnt hate America if I tried. But I find it easy to hate your Government and its cheerleader's. To hate the complicit and the passive. For many many reason's. I wont go into them because this is supposed to be a pro-America thread but I think most people see American's as kind of like the Emperor from the story The Emperor's New Clothes.Its almost as if the TV tell's you guy's that everything is great,America is still 'the greatest country in the world' and you guy's just blindly believe this lie (not all).

So I urge American's to stop blocking your ear's. Take the negativity on board because its not coming from nowhere. Nobody is jealous of America. We pity you. You poor soul's of 'the land of opportunity', you chaser's of 'the American dream'. We are trying to warn you. To give you a sense of urgency. You all need a sense of urgency. You all need to acknowledge that Rome is burning. You need to wake up. We are trying to wake you. Maybe from the inside you cant see it but if you were outside looking in it would be crystal clear. I saw a doco on the History Channel a few year's ago that had nazi prisoner's captured by the Russian's. Many of the prisoner's were still Hitler fanatic's despite the fact that he had obviously failed. The Russian's looked at the with shock and pity. How could they still be worshipping Hitler? He had failed. Germany was done. Please dont end up like those guy's. Fix your country. If not for yourselves,fix it for the rest of us. Your country affect's us all. Dont bring us all down with you. I want you all to be able to chant USA USA USA without it seeming absurd.

Rome burn's while you sleep.

edit on 15-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

We dont want you guys to burn in your sleep.

We want to wake you up.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

Oh there is lots to learn as you get older...wait til your forty and only half may be figured out....I live on your border and don`t want to anymore

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

there`s better rage than that....*

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Im confused by that. Are you American? Damn your education system
Just kidding.

I dont follow. And Im no kid since I was a teen when Jordan was everywhere. Im getting kinda old really.

Edit- Ah, yeah, Im srry,I am far from figuring it all out,thats for sure. Seem to be closer than most though.

Maybe you could escape to Mexico?
Canada? Alaska? I would swim to Cuba

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

old skool rage

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I'm an American but I've lived abroad for about 20 years.

Trust me, I am aware of the world's hatred of Americans. I get it. You don't need to "remind" us. Everyone on ATS except for the most dimwitted of souls is aware of the issue.

The problem is there isn't much an American can do with this knowledge. OK, you hate America. Fair enough. Gotcha. So what do you want me to do about it, other than listen to the same rant I've heard eight quintillion times already? Many of us are already working for change of various sorts, we know our government and corporations are screwed up, we're not any happier about it than you. Less so, since we are the ones who have to live with the consequences.

And another thing - that pop culture crap you mentioned, everything from Spiderman to McDonalds or whatever - that's not "American Culture," that's pop culture. Pop culture is shallow, materialistic, and exploitative wherever it manifests. Real American culture is the poetry of Walt Whitman, the philosophy of Ralph Waldo Emerson and the Concord Transcendentalists. The stark austere aesthetics of Shaker furniture, the paintings of the Hudson River School, the plays of Tennessee Williams. Stuff like that. My America is the brilliance of the Milky Way splayed out like diamonds over a windswept north-country field. Spanish moss draped across the willows on a deep south country road. The sounds of crickets chirping on the high plains. Gentle, silent snowfall in the Rockies. That's my America, not some crap on the TV designed to poison my mind and empty my wallet.

edit on 4/15/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Rome may burn while I sleep,but I'll be sleeping in the greatest country in the world.And not every American is ignorant to what our government is doing.Nor do we all blindly follow them.so,no your thread isn't pro American.It's a thinly veiled insult at America and its citizens...Nice try though.
edit on 15-4-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
I'm an American but I've lived abroad for about 20 years.

Trust me, I am aware of the world's hatred of Americans. I get it. You don't need to "remind" us. Everyone on ATS except for the most dimwitted of souls is aware of the issue.

The problem is there isn't much an American can do with this knowledge. OK, you hate America. Fair enough. Gotcha. So what do you want me to do about it, other than listen to the same rant I've heard eight quintillion times already? Many of us are already working for change of various sorts, we know our government and corporations are screwed up, we're not any happier about it than you. Less so, since we are the ones who have to live with the consequences.

And another thing - that pop culture crap you mentioned, everything from Spiderman to McDonalds or whatever - that's not "American Culture," that's pop culture. Pop culture is shallow, materialistic, and exploitative wherever it manifests. Real American culture is the poetry of Walt Whitman, the philosophy of Ralph Waldo Emerson and the Concord Transcendentalists. The stark austere aesthetics of Shaker furniture, the paintings of the Hudson River School, the plays of Tennessee Williams. Stuff like that. My America is the brilliance of the Milky Way splayed out like diamonds over a windswept north-country field. Spanish moss draped across the willows on a deep south country road. The sounds of crickets chirping on the high plains. Gentle, silent snowfall in the Rockies. That's my America, not some crap on the TV designed to poison my mind and empty my wallet.

edit on 4/15/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

I only read the first few sentances of that. I think you missed the point. I dont hate America. Did you go to school in America?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Being on the border with my lovable americans scares the crap out of me...no mexico headless thought...greenland for settling

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

How is it the greatest?

Australia is a much better place. There are many other places that are better. America border's on a third worls country in many ways.

Look at your education,healthcare,unemployment,national debt,credit rating.

Are you so blind?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

"And another thing - that pop culture crap you mentioned, everything from Spiderman to McDonalds or whatever - that's not "American Culture," that's pop culture. Pop culture is shallow, materialistic, and exploitative wherever it manifests. Real American culture is the poetry of Walt Whitman, the philosophy of Ralph Waldo Emerson and the Concord Transcendentalists. The stark austere aesthetics of Shaker furniture, the paintings of the Hudson River School, the plays of Tennessee Williams. Stuff like that. My America is the brilliance of the Milky Way splayed out like diamonds over a windswept north-country field. Spanish moss draped across the willows on a deep south country road. The sounds of crickets chirping on the high plains. Gentle, silent snowfall in the Rockies. That's my America, not some crap on the TV designed to poison my mind and empty my wallet"

Amen,man.That's the truth.All he's doing is turning it against us.Blame YOUR government for bringing all that crap to YOUR country if you don't like it,op

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Ha!

Come to Australia. Its awesome.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
I only read the first few sentances of that. I think you missed the point. I dont hate America. Did you go to school in America?

No. You do hate America, it's crystal-clear.

If you can't be bothered to read what I read what I wrote you cannot be qualified to comment on it.

Your personal attack is uncalled for, as well. And against the board Terms and Conditions.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

How is it the greatest?

Australia is a much better place. There are many other places that are better. America border's on a third worls country in many ways.

Are you so blind?

America is nowhere near a third world country.Are you kidding?Seriously?I'm glad you think Australia is better..as you should because you live there.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Real American culture is the poetry of Walt Whitman, the philosophy of Ralph Waldo Emerson and the Concord Transcendentalists. The stark austere aesthetics of Shaker furniture, the paintings of the Hudson River School, the plays of Tennessee Williams. Stuff like that. My America is the brilliance of the Milky Way splayed out like diamonds over a windswept north-country field. Spanish moss draped across the willows on a deep south country road. The sounds of crickets chirping on the high plains. Gentle, silent snowfall in the Rockies. That's my America, not some crap on the TV designed to poison my mind and empty my wallet" Amen,man.That's the truth.All he's doing is turning it against us.Blame YOUR government for bringing all that crap to YOUR country if you don't like it,op

Ha! Thats very funny. Yes most American's are influenced by the stuff you mentioned hey

And I said 'pop culture' didnt I. Yes I did. You think I dont know the difference?

I would have gone with Mark Twain,Nathanial Hawthorne,Herman Melville.....

And who said,I didnt like the American crap? Comprehension's not your strong point is it?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

How is it the greatest?

Are you so blind?

America is nowhere near a third world country.Are you kidding?Seriously?I'm glad you think Australia is better..as you should because you live there.

Your Credit Rating is lower, You have a dollar that's worth less, you have higher unemployment, you have massive national debt,worse education,worse healthcare.

We dont have tent cities in Austraia.

America is a hell hole compared to Australia.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Oh man, some how, us Aussies are classed 'anti-American"

Perhaps i had a hand in it along with Jace.

But yes i start rants regargin the USA and their ignorance. Yes i get crucified by members and mods alike for voicing my opinion. Americans have to listen for once, the criticism that they are being given.

S&F

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Oh man, some how, us Aussies are classed 'anti-American"

Perhaps i had a hand in it along with Jace.

But yes i start rants regargin the USA and their ignorance. Yes i get crucified by members and mods alike for voicing my opinion. Americans have to listen for once, the criticism that they are being given.

S&F

I second that droog.

Glad someone agree's

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

How is it the greatest?

Are you so blind?

Your Credit Rating is lower, You have a dollar that's worth less, you have higher unemployment, you have massive national debt,worse education,worse healthcare.

We dont have tent cities in Austraia.

America is a hell hole compared to Australia.

Don't care about my credit rating as I have no cards

My money is worth enough to me.I'm not unemployed and I can promise I have a better education then you do.And pay for my own healthcare

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join