It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepare for Major Earthquake along Utah's Wasatch Fault April 17th 2012 DRILL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
It's not one you hear mentioned much but at 10:15 a.m. on April 17, 2012*, thousands of Utahns will "Drop, Cover, and Hold On" in The Great Utah ShakeOut, the largest earthquake drill in Utah history!

Organized by Shakeout.org there are already over 880,000 participants taking part.

When this due fault ruptures, there's potential for thousands to die, and massive infrastructure collapse. See video below for an overview:

The Wasatch Fault is an earthquake fault located primarily on the western edge of the Wasatch Mountains in the U.S. state of Utah. The fault is 240 miles long, stretching from southern Idaho, through northern Utah, before terminating in central Utah near the town of Fayette. It is made up of several segments, on average 25 miles long, each of which can independently produce earthquakes as powerful as local magnitude 7.5.

The Wasatch Fault is a normal (vertical motion) fault which forms the eastern boundary of the Basin and Range geologic province which comprises the geographic Great Basin. The Wasatch Mountains have been uplifted and tilted to the east by movement of the fault. The average rate of uplift along the fault over its history is approximately 1 mm per year, although there are indications that more rapid slip has occurred in the past few thousand years. The fault, however, does not continually slowly slip; instead, it remains locked for hundreds to thousands of years until approximately 1 to 4 meters of slip occurs rapidly, producing a strong earthquake.

During the past 6,000 years, a strong earthquake (magnitude greater than 6.5) has occurred approximately once every 350 years somewhere along one of the central segments of the Wasatch Fault.
From Wikipedia

Given the uptick in worldwide earthquake activity over the last few days, I'd imagine that in areas like Utah's, there's a lot of anxiety building, so these drills will certainly help prepare people for any potential disaster.

Something to watch for is to see if there are any sizable earthquakes in the region, around the time the drills start.
edit on 15-4-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: formatting

edit on 15-4-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: title edit

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Another misleading title. Why must people be misleading to get there point across.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by juggalo307

What was misleading?

There's preparation taking place on April 17th in regards to a major earthquake along Utah's Wasatch Fault.

By clicking the thread you hopefully learned something that may save your life as no one else on ATS has mentioned this even taking place, and having gone through some very bad earthquakes myself, I know how important it is now to be PREPARED.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Isn't Mitt Romney from Utah?

Or was that the other guy?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
oh

its just a drill?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Born and raised in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.

70th Governor of Massachusetts.

But what was your reason for asking, as not sure how it's related to the thread?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
reply to post by juggalo307

What was misleading?

There's preparation taking place on April 17th in regards to a major earthquake along Utah's Wasatch Fault.

By clicking the thread you hopefully learned something that may save your life as no one else on ATS has mentioned this even taking place, and having gone through some very bad earthquakes myself, I know how important it is now to be PREPARED.

You said in your title "Prepare for Major Earthquake along Utah's Wasatch Fault April 17th 2012" this implies that there will be a "Major Earthquake along Utah's Wasatch Fault on April 17th 2012" when in fact it is just another drill. Every time there is a drill for earthquakes people come on here with threads implying pending doom. . Come on now don't play dumb. You know you sensationalized the title to get flags and stars,

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Are you an editor of some tabloid newspapers?
Yes, it's missleading, you should add a DRILL in your title

edit on 15-4-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

Um...

Yes

But a very important one given that this region and others in the USA, are mostly overdue for their BIG one.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I was thinking sympathy vote.

Like Obamas grand ma dying right before the election.

Or that tsunami in Hawaii.

Like 9/11. Remember how we were all patriotic?

Remember Katrina? The US citizens came together for the most part after disasters.

If we had a big one. That could be a catalyst to an election for certain parties.

I'm not saying.

I'm just saying.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Nice misleading title. I thought you were saying there was going to be an earthquake on Apr 17th, not just a drill.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

Ahhh, I see where the problem is...sounds more like a prediction in 2 days!

WIsh I was that good but though I got the day right in another thread for a major quake to hit on the 11th of April, I wasn't able to pinpoint the actual place.

Don't worry, not predicting any major quakes to happen now, until around the 14th to 16th of May...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Do you have anymore feelings/theories about the possibilty of and eathquake on that day other than the drill itself?

I did read your prediction on the Quake Watch thread and you mentioned a 7+ happening on or around the date of the two Indonesia 8's because of planetary alignments.

Edit: No worries, question answered in your above posts. It's definitely good to be prepared. These drills can save lives.

edit on 15-4-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
Do you have anymore feelings/theories about the possibilty of and eathquake on that day other than the drill itself?

I did read your prediction on the Quake Watch thread and you mentioned a 7+ happening around the date of the two Indonesia 8's because of planetary alignments.

Hi skitzspiricy, I don't believe anything is likely to happen around the 17th of April, that will affect Utah. It was just seeing that there was a big DRILL scheduled on the 17th, and no one on ATS had made mention of it, I felt it was worth bringing attention to it...just forgot to add the 'drill' to title, which has since been done.

Yes regarding my reasons for predicting the possibility of larger earthquakes around the 11th of April, based on my research of planetary alignments, and you may have missed it, but using the same theory the next 'risk' period for a 7+ is around the 14th to 16th of May.

Of course I hope I'm wrong and that the theory can be debunked, but for now I'm keeping an open mind.
edit on 15-4-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

I wasn't able to pinpoint the actual place.

Next time try with the ring of fire, you wont miss it.
Thx for changing the title.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

why would there be an earthquake during the drill?

edit on 15-4-2012 by CoolStoryMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolStoryMan

Because that's exactly what happened down in Mexico a few weeks ago.

Crazy huh?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

Originally posted by CoolStoryMan

Because that's exactly what happened down in Mexico a few weeks ago.

Crazy huh?

And also during a previous ShakeOut drill this past Feb!

SAND SPRINGS, Oklahoma -

Another earthquake in Oklahoma takes place just minutes after the state conducts a large scale earthquake readiness drill.

The small earthquake registered 3.1 in central Oklahoma in Okfuskee County about six miles south of Paden.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Actually I mentioned it last week....but the post seemed to have stopped the thread in it's tracks!

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread829288/pg1
edit on 16-4-2012 by Jansy because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2012 by Jansy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join