It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden Grants Religious Recognition To File-Sharing Church of Kopimism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Did my search on ATS because this is dated back in January and found nothing. Maybe under a different title?

Anyways, I'm posting in Current Events because to post in the Religious forums might be confusing.

While reading the article, I noticed a very familiar logo in the middle of it. A Pirate Ship!
Who else would have the cajones to do something like this?
www.techweekeurope.co.uk...

The Swedish government has formally recognised a “church” whose main belief is the right to file-share, in a move that is unlikely to be well-received by the Hollywood studios.

The recognition of the Church of Kopimism as a religion by the state of Sweden was revealed in a statement on the Church’s Website, after more than a year of trying to gain formal recognition.

“Just before Christmas, the Swedish government agency Kammarkollegiet registered the Church of Kopimism as a religious organisation. This means that Sweden is the first country to recognise Kopimism as a religion,” said the church’s statement.

And like any decent religion there must be symbolism and a sacrament...right?

According to the statement, the Church of Kopimism regards information as holy, and copying as a sacrament. It also holds CTRL+C and CTRL+V (the keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste) as sacred symbols. While the church does not directly promote illegal file sharing, it does believe in the open distribution of knowledge and holds religious services that it calls ‘ kopyactings’.

Seems like a good idea to me. If you want special treatment, privledges and even a tax exemption, start a Church. Seems everyone's doing it so why not Pirates?

Have a read, have a laugh and be proud that someone is standing strong against all those nasty internet laws being created almost daily.

Go Pirates!

Peace

edit on 15-4-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
LOL freakin sweet.

See, this I love. Gain a religious status....now let the legal battles ensue when you try to start seizing their websites, where all of their "sacred information" is housed....and since they believe all information is holy, all information is sacred, and therefore they are trying to share it, and a government shouldnt be able to stop a religion from practicing, right? Im not sure I agree with that legal footing, but its better than past efforts of just whining about it!

Good on them, I will donate to this church.
edit on 14-4-2012 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
LOL freakin sweet.

See, this I love. Gain a religious status....now let the legal battles ensue when you try to start seizing their websites, where all of their "sacred information" is housed....and since they believe all information is holy, all information is sacred, and therefore they are trying to share it, and a government shouldnt be able to stop a religion from practicing, right? Im not sure I agree with that legal footing, but its better than past efforts of just whining about it!

Good on them, I will donate to this church.
edit on 14-4-2012 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

If the Catholic Church can become its own Country, Pirates can worship at the altar of Copy and Paste.

Love these guys.

Peace

edit on 15-4-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
yes.

everyone should register as minister's.
6 friends become the congregation (all ministers as well).
meetings are conducted around the BBQ.
all are anointed with beer.
tax exempt status, and tax claims for beef and beer expenses.
get your paychecks paid to your own church (which then pays you - the minister)
(because your 'religious' work is solely for the glory of the brew).

rotate your ceremony's between your friends backyards.
everyone is happy, drunk, and not paying any taxes.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Pirates can worship at the altar of Copy and Paste.

Sorry, I was just praying......

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
From the article, a quote from one of the music industry hacks:

“In some ways these guys are looking outdated. File-sharing as a means to pirate content is becoming yesterday’s technology.”

Yeh, everyone I know is going back to dubbing tapes!!
Where do they find these guys?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
From the article, a quote from one of the music industry hacks:

“In some ways these guys are looking outdated. File-sharing as a means to pirate content is becoming yesterday’s technology.”

Yeh, everyone I know is going back to dubbing tapes!!
Where do they find these guys?

That one I didn't get either.

If it's so outdated, why are they trying to stop it?

Peace

new topics

top topics

join