It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is suicide a human right?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I used to think yes but now I am not so sure.

I think it depends on if you have children or not. If you have a child you are responsible for then no, you lose that right to the child. When that child has grown into an adult and you have no more responsibility then you have the right.

For me; our children and thier welfare are the most important. To many corporate bankers money is thier first priority, thier kids come after (just thought I would slip that in
)

Ask yourself this question. If mankind wasn't dumbed down, poisoned and socially engineered would so many people even consider suicide?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Who are you people to say what is right or wrong? You have no idea, a lot of you, on what it's like to be depressed. It's a constant state of negative. I would advise against it, but I would understand why someone would end their life.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
You can do whatever you want to your own body but you can't crybaby about the ramifications of having done so. There's no get-out-of-feeling-like-a-piece-of-sh*t card in real life, and only really damaged people do exactly what they want, when they want, and to whomever they want, without feeling any impact from the reactions of other people.

If you really don't care, then whatever. God won't be there to kick you in the nuts when you cross over unless you conjure him up, but don't expect anything to be any better. It'll be different, but you'll still be you.

Then again, if you're feeling an overwhelming urge to hurt little kids or weaker people, then why not take one for the team and off yourself. Maybe the folks on the other side will throw you a welcome aboard party for preventing the hell you'd have otherwise inflicted on someone else. If I was over there and someone chose suicide instead of murder or worse, I'd greet them and make them feel appreciated. That'd be like jumping on a grenade for someone else, sort of.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Kind of selfish to put yourself in their shoes when you have no idea the path they have walked..... Just because you want someone around, for your own sake, should not dictate how they live THEIR life.
edit on 15-4-2012 by Covertblack because: Life doesn't equal live

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
My bad man, read it wrong. I agree that if you are planning to hurt others..........maybe it's the best.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Have you ever used mouthwash, nail polish, feminine products, color cosmetics, toothpastes, shampoos, bubble bath, talcum powder, shaving gels and creams, deodorants, shower bars and gels, alcohol, aluminum, tallow (animal fat), collagen, fluoride, mineral oil, or any petroleum based substances? If so, you've came into contact and ingested numerous carcinogens, all of which are contributing factors to numerous diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer's, liver disease, heart failure, and a plethora of other illnesses that all can and do contribute to the death of numerous people on a daily basis.

Mouthwashes: Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Flavoring, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Feminine Products & Color Cosmetics: Talc, Toluene
Nail Polish: Toluene
Toothpastes: Fluoride, Sodium Fluoride, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), aluminium oxide
Shampoos: Diethanolamine (DEA or TEA), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), Benzyl/Benzene Conditioners: Diethanolamine (DEA or TEA) Propylene Glycol
Bubble Bath: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), Benzoic/Benzyl, Diethanolamine (DEA or TEA)
Shaving Gels/Creams: Diethanolamine (DEA or TEA), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
Deodorants: Aluminum, Butane, Propane, Propylene Glycol, Talc
Shower Bars/Gels: Bentoic/Benzyl, Diethanolamine (DEA or TEA), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)

The source can be found here.

People know that cigarettes cause cancer, yet they continue to smoke. You know that toothpaste contains cancer-causing agents, alcohol is bad for you, and many inject collagen into their skin regardless of the fact that the long term effects can be fatal.

Though it may not be intentional, you are killing yourself more and more every single day. Though it may not always be able to be labeled suicide, you are ultimately and knowingly contributing to your own death.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

The question I'm posing is this: is suicide a human right?
reply to post by Skepticesque

I do not believe it is. Unfortunately suicide affects not just the person who took their life, but many people they leave behind, often not considered by the person now gone. While their pain, doubt, anguish, depression is now ended, the ones they left behind has just begun.

If as a society we were more aware of what is going on with our family members and friends lives, how they feel, how they cope etc, perhaps such notice and even concern for others well being would make such things as mental illness and depression, not just easier to spot but to treat.

20 years ago we were a more cohesive family and community based society but mental illness was not nearly as well understood as it is today. So today we have the understanding, but not that close knit relationship with each other to even notice that someone else may be suffering. Just some personal thoughts on the matter. Good thread Op thanks.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
No, I personally don't think suicide is a human right.

I think in most cases suicide is committed by someone who is incredibly selfish and self centered. Well, atleast by someone who gets easily caught in the moment, and lets their selfishness take over.

I'm sorry if I come across as offensive, but I've had experience with suicide within my family.

My mom almost comitted suicide a few years ago, and I found it very hard to forgive her since then. But since I cried so much, and because I love my mom so much, I couldn't help but forgive her eventually.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by InspirationEverywhere
reply to post by SubAce

A disinfo agent, that's the first time anyone's ever called me that. Fascinating. And brain washed, Is it brainwashed to believe each and every action deserves to be contemplated on its own unique merits?

You said its wrong, no matter what, which negates from its uniqueness, how can anyone (who claims to be astute, understanding, and in the know on right and wrong), judge a certain scenario without taking into account and allowing for all the variables involved?

How can you be in a position to judge someone half way around the world, who commits suicide, without knowing all the details and actions that lead to it? Considering you have as little info about what happens afterwards anyway. Is your ignorance deliberate?

You are right. And who are we to judge the Rwandans who committed mass genocide, I mean they are half-way around the world. From who, me you? Do you know where I am? I am definitely not where you think I am. Are you the one judging without knowing the facts.

I did not call you a dis-info agent either. You need to re-read that. My best guess is that you have been brain-washed by this morally dead society's PsTB and you readily, of your own free will spread this propaganda and attack the truth because you know no better. Again, like I stated before, if there is some part of your conscience that will listen to reason, then great. But if not, there is nothing I can do about it.

But think about it this way, if people actually understood the wrongness of the violent act of murder, even against themselves, maybe less of it would happen. You do not have the right to take your own life. Now I agree, there are people who don't deserve life, and the world would even be better off without some of them. If they take their lives away from themselves that is their prerogative.

Still murder is murder. If you held life in such high regard as it should be held, the thought of suicide, while understandable - especially in people who have been oppressed and are depressed - could be held more at bay, or even avoided many times.
edit on 15-4-2012 by SubAce because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
No, I don't think it is a human right. It was posted that "no one else owns me," but in fact, many people are invested in you. We have a responsibility to society to, if not make it better, at least not make it worse. Suicide is a slippery slope. When is it permissible? Those who want to commit it are not in their right mind to decide such a fateful act. The young person who saw their life as unbearable and that if they can't get a job and pay off their school loans would leave them little choice will find with time that such a thought was immature and unwarranted.

Suicide makes victims of our loved ones. Further, every suicide we hear of makes it easier to commit. Children of a suicide are more likely to commit it themselves. Society is diminished.

We desperately want to be islands, but we are not. Our lives, and our deaths, touch too many people to make it a willful act.

None of the above relies on a Christian outlook but it deserves to be noted that you did not grant yourself life, and you therefore have no right to end it.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Im not entirely convienced that everything can fit in to a box of either human rights or not human rights, suicide being one of thoes things.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by schlomo
I'm surprised by how many people say yes.

The Left in particular have largely been trained to define a human right as being anything which they want, irrespective of whether or not said desire is necessary for their actual survival, or socially beneficial. As a result, the integrity of the general concept of human rights, (and thus the concept's value) has become seriously corroded...which was, of course, the intent in the first place.
edit on 15-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

Very true (and I'm liking your posts here.) Free speech is a right. Free food is not. Why? Because if someone else has to provide your free food, you are making them a slave. Rand Paul makes that distinction about medical care being a right. He, an MD, says it is not. Why? Because if medical care is a right, you make doctors into slaves because you can require them to provide medical care for you. Is a walk in the park a "right"? Well, that straddles the line, doesn't it? If you demand someone else makes the park habitable for you--nature trails all ADA compatible, then No, because your "right" requires someone else to provide services to you.

On to suicide. Historically, no, it is not a "right." Remember that you don't make up rights all by yourself. Even free speech is a consensus right agreed to by the social group, in the case of the US, guaranteed by the Constitution. The Right to keep and bear arms is a hotly contested "right" because the Founding Fathers said it was, but a whole lot of people don't want that to be a right at all. Once again, it's group consensus that makes a right, not an individual claim.

And historically, the group has considered suicide a "sin" (or illegal, if you prefer) because your survival is valuable to the group and your leaving the group by your own hand puts the group at risk. As I understand it, in some cultures the suicide prohibition was enforced by sanctioning your family. If you committed suicide, they would be punished. As others have pointed out here, what can you do to a suicide? well, you can punish the family and refuse to bury you in hallowed ground. For people who believe "hallowed ground" is necessary to avoid Hell, that's a powerful incentive.

Even today, when your individual presence probably has little effect on group survival, suicide can still take a toll. Consider:

My wife committed suicide and left me with a 12 year old daughter to raise. This affected me economically. It affected me legally like you would not believe. It affected the extended family with a blow that was unrecoverable with all the emotions, blame, and guilt you would expect it to. Considering the circumstances and possibilities, it was absolutely the worst possible "stick a knife in your gut and twist" kind of thing she could possiby have done. It was calculated to cause the most disruption possible. It caused irreversible psychological harm to our daughter that she will carry for her entire life. I'd like to think I'm a tough guy, but I have dreams about her still that are so very real I can't tell the difference between them and reality. I keep dreaming she is back, and it's been nearly 20 years.

You really think people have a "right" to do what my wife did? She wasn't terminally ill. Things just weren't going her way and she was upset about it. She had an "excess of hubris." (See below) And so she did a very selfish thing which solved nothing. Think about that when you declare you have all these rights.
edit on 4/15/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I think if someone is in such a terrible situation such as being a sex slave or something awful like that they have the right to run for their life and die trying, i know that some samurais hage been known to kill themselves with a sword after they felt they had dishonored their family. But to me, i think we need every human to contribute some happiness to the rest of us before their ticket is up. Taking the short road may be a right but its not THE right option. Theres always more to do until the last bell.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

If a person is suffering a termial painfulll slow death .The right to take ones own life the right the suffering is a given a no braiiner,We uthanise anilmals because we cant see them soffer an humans must have the right to opt to end there own suffeering if thet so desire,As to suiside in genral due to depression illness ect .Every case is uniqe an d I cant cast jusgement.Certainly shouldnt be classed as a criminaal offence though thats absurd.Its not an offence to steal your own money its known as spending it.Or you cant breakinto your own house .You cant commit forgery by fakeing your own signiture on a valid check.So how can desideing to end one own life suiside an offence Why .draft a law makeing it illlegsl?There never going to get a conviction .As all there perpertraters would be dead?The best they could ever get is attempted suiside .Depression is an illness you cant punish someone for being ill..

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Yes suicide should be allow

It not a very easy task which you can easily fail and there not many option one have in doing the act.

Denying one death cause more harm then anything else.

I hear talk about the one they leave behind yet the one that are left behind are being self-es and not respectful to the one that want to leave the world.

Am against religion however religion does say one should be able to kill themselves yet religious book were rewrote to make it a sin.
(basically too many were killing themselves that religious factor decided to stop it by altering there text)

Suicide is a hard thing to commit, anyone that say it easy clearly never had tried.

I think there should be a system put up to make sure one really want to end things.
For example if 3 months have pass and they still want to die then help them to end it.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Skepticesque

It is the right of every living human, to choose their own path. Suicide is not illegal..!! However to assist someone with suicide is illegal.

If one chooses to end their life "for any reason", they have that right to do so under common law, no matter what their state of health or mind.

Sure if you fail the law may put you into a mental health clinic (for your own good), but the choice is yours to make to attempt it in the first place. Nobody in the leagal system has the right to prevent you from doing it. They can ask you nicely not to or restrain you for a short time while you think it over..lol

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

From who, me you? Do you know where I am? I am definitely not where you think I am. Are you the one judging without knowing the facts.

That is as funny as it gets. YEH, I'm the one judging without knowing the facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (of where you live)

spread this propaganda and attack the truth because you know no better. Again, like I stated before, if there is some part of your conscience that will listen to reason

What propaganda? Reread my posts buddy, I'm for personal choice, I'm for each moment and each individuals decisions in that moment to be thoughtfully and compassionately assessed. I believe this because its the only way to focus so that everyone is treated equally.

And you want to mention reason and truth. Without any REASON or TRUTH you again assume to KNOW what the ramifications of death(suicide) are.

if people actually understood the wrongness of the violent act of murder, even against themselves

Who are you to assume to have the answers to questions that have baffled the greatest minds throughout time????

Now I agree, there are people who don't deserve life

Nobody made that point, agreeing with yourself now, that must be fun.

If you held life in such high regard as it should be held

I agree that life is precious but without the truth as to what happened before and what is destined to be next, you talking about whats right and wrong IS SIMPLY WRONG. You have no foundation to back up your claim, only an opinion that MURDER IS MURDER, which cannot, even in its simplicity, fathom the infinite details and moments that go into something as tragic as suicide, and then equate that to mass genocide!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Sure, why not? As long as you don't harm other people, I don't think anyone really cares, except those that love you. I think it is pure stupidity, but then again people have a right to be stupid.

Pointless thread. So why is it the hottest topic and why am I contributing to it?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I might not believe in the idea of it but who am I to tell anyone what they can and can't do with their lives. I do feel that its a selfish act in leaving others to deal with your issues let alone your burial but really its your decision. I don't know that personally anything would be worth taking my life over other than I'm really old, in tremendous amounts of pain and on my death bed. It would then be selfish of anyone to expect me to keep on living in those conditions. But this is all in my opinion and not to lash out at anyone. Of course I've never really been to a point in where I could take my life. Been in situation at times where I've debated it but just couldn't see myself doing it.

Great thread and great responses by the way

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZikhaN
No, I personally don't think suicide is a human right.

I think in most cases suicide is committed by someone who is incredibly selfish and self centered. Well, atleast by someone who gets easily caught in the moment, and lets their selfishness take over.

I'm sorry if I come across as offensive, but I've had experience with suicide within my family.

My mom almost comitted suicide a few years ago, and I found it very hard to forgive her since then. But since I cried so much, and because I love my mom so much, I couldn't help but forgive her eventually.

If a person reaches the point of wanting to commit suicide, and they are not dying or very old, they are at a point where they are in so much mental anguish and pain that they can no longer see anything else.

The pain of a physical illness can be so bad that a person cannot think of their loved ones at that moment, and the mental pain is the same...or worse...they simply are hurting to much to remember anything else, how can anyone blame someone for that kind of pain.

I was there once I did not kill myself but I wanted to and I mentioned it aloud, and for that my daughter 18 at the time never forgave me. What does she know of losing a 22 year marriage and finding the one you loved totally and was loyal to always had a string of uncountable other women, just at the time when your kids have left home and you are all alone.

Anyway I wish for the very old and very sick they had a place like on the movie Soylent Green, where you could go to sleep in a wonderful peaceful way, the way we do for our beloved animal friends.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join