It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is suicide a human right?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Yes, we have the right to take our own lives. Shouldn't even have to be a question.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by redneck13
Continuing with your life when you are so desperate to end it take more courage. Put the gun to your head it is all over. Living on through your pain and desperation is indeed more difficult.

I agree that going on is harder. Starring death in the face and going towards what most people fear the most is not my definition of a coward, however.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Suicide would be a human right only if life itself was a conscious decision. Since we have no immediate memory of how we came to be, it was not our conscious choice to be here in the first place. Therefore, it shouldn't be our decision to end it. These are the rules of the game. Simple as that.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I would say to anyone who feels on the verge of ending it all don't! Do something completely outrageous like get in your car and start driving when you get to water, get on a boat, then just keep going. Set a goal in your mind, irrelevant of how dangerous or ridiculous it may sound (what have you got to lose) and go for it. walk across Europe, join a monastery, go on the run and join a tribe. The world is too big a place for you to end it all when you haven't explored alternatives to your existing life. You never know where it my lead you.

In answer to the question, I don't think it's wrong but I think there are better options.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated

I have weekly therapy but the process is slow and to be honest, i dont get the feeling it's doing much.

I still believe psychotherapy isn't really effective but i refuse psychomeds because of their workings (they can make things MUCH worse)

I'll look into him and see what he can offer me

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
I would say to anyone who feels on the verge of ending it all don't! Do something completely outrageous like get in your car and start driving when you get to water, get on a boat, then just keep going. Set a goal in your mind, irrelevant of how dangerous or ridiculous it may sound (what have you got to lose) and go for it. walk across Europe, join a monastery, go on the run and join a tribe. The world is too big a place for you to end it all when you haven't explored alternatives to your existing life. You never know where it my lead you.

In answer to the question, I don't think it's wrong but I think there are better options.
Thats brilliant phylsphy if you have the wherwithall free spirt type of personalty to just get up an go.Ive travellled all over in my youth.An I dont mean package holidays.Ive lived in other countrys absorbed there cultue.I know people whom have never travelled abroad or even left there own city,One off my best freinds is an agrophobic an can barely get the courage up to leave her own home.She surrvives is depressed but not suicideall.But faced with the option you propose in your post .Get up go out never look back leave your nest an travell.She would top her self in 5 minutes max if to travell leave her home was her only option.Everyone us is different some thrive on excitment travell adveture .Some are homeound to the max....

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Yes.
We should all have the right to kill ourselves, as long as we arent taking anyone with us or unduly causing issues for others out of spite. Friend of my daughters went to his mothers house and blew his brains all over her living room with the step dads gun.. he left a note outlining his hate for his stepfather. Guess he showed him, huh?

If you want to kill yourself have at it. My only caveat is that we should offer help if the person is very young, suffering from mental disease, or just needs someone's guidance....if its rejected then it is the persons own choice that they should be able to make.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by petrus4

Sez you! Here is a case where you and I have a difference of opinion of what is LIVING or being alive. To me...to truly be ALIVE...one must become more than a bunch of cells getting along. Just to be alive is not enough for the Human Condition. If this is all you retain...then you are Dead already. Split Infinity

Yes, but this, as I said, is the problem. It opens floodgates which some can exploit. Where do you draw the line?

That is the question.
edit on 15-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

Ahhh...LINE DRAWING! Of all the people on this board you have to ask the one Guy who is tasked with Drawing Lines and making choices that are my Demons! I am lucky...I have seen and done much. I have lived a life of experiences that could fill several lifetimes and I am STILL GOING! If I were to Die Today....Besides by my Death....the Hurt of My Loved Ones...I WOULD HAVE NO REGRETS! I would be happy to have lived the life I have...and Hopefully still will! You have to understand it is when one is forced to the Edge of the Precipice that one REALLY LIVES! I am not telling people here to go do something Dangerous like I do on Occasion but for GOD SAKES...LIVE!

I have seen people say they will get to it tommorow...or SOMEDAY...we will do THAT! DO IT NOW if you can! Live every day as if it is your last because you never know! I once witnessed an unfortunate accident where a truck driver...Pickup/Dump conversion...parked his truck on a hill with his front end pointing down hill. It was next to my Recording Studio. His parking break was worn out...as he got out of his truck on the passenger side with his door open...the truck started to roll down hill...to the right was a telephone pole...he tried getting back in the truch but the trucks door was pushed shut as the truck rolled past the pole his body was pinned and crushed between the pole and door and the rocker pannels and door Jam.

We ran to him as we were outside and saw the whole thing....he was turning blue from loss of blood from internal bleading...his last words were...I should have fixed my driver side door....that was the reason he got out on the passenger side. THERE IS NO LINE...only Living or Dying! Some are content to live a life of mediocrity...I am not! Everyone has the right to do what they want...but you don't know what you are missing unless you have tried it! Life is full of surprises! Take a chance. Take TWO! Split Infinity

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ZionSmasher

If they made it easier it would be less messy. Too bad people are forced to choose messy methods that have such a high risk of failure...

Quite the contrary...I've worked in multiple level 1 trauma centers...Usually the more messy and gruesome, the more success. Use a shot gun or high-powered rifle, you've got an easy and messy success. Men usually choose firearms. Women, usually use less gruesome methods, like pills. Less messy, say an OD of acetaminophen, although usually won't kill a person acutely, they will, however, die later from liver toxicity.

There is a whole psychology to suicide. Like I said, men usually chose outright, gruesome and direct methods, like shot guns and hangings. While women, often utilized excess amounts of medication to commit suicide. When I was completing my psych rotation, I remember reading some literature which suggested some differences between men and women and how they do or do not want loved ones to find them after a suicide attempt. I remember reading that because women have traditionally held roles in our society that involve cleaning up after people (mother, wife, etc), women wouldn't use a shot gun because she would feel guilty about leaving a mess behind for someone to clean up.

I have seen so many different ways so many different times I have lost count.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoLoveInFear46and2
reply to post by SplitInfinity

That's right keep on listening to big pharma and say pop a pill and you will be happy it's a chemical thingy in your brain, I know cuz I read it somewhere by doctor something....

Just pop a pill and it'll go away! Happiness by the milligram!

F*** pills and big pharma, heal yourself that's what I've been doing and still alive after 12 years so it's possible to live without the drugs, drugs are not always the answer ( or in my case never have been)

Peace not pills

I hate to be rude...but...your post here is the single most stupid thing I have ever read as far as how it pertains to a post...in this case...my post.

You have a 24 year old KID....who is contemplating offing his or her self. YOU...go and make a Political Statement about Big Buisness and how everyone thinks DRUGS are the answer...WHICH IS SOMETHING I ACTUALLY AGREE WITH YOU...TO A POINT!

Yes...people watch TV and the spectrum of advertised symtoms is so vauge and general that some people who would never think to blame THEMSELVES for their current condition...ie...Out of Shape...Bad Diet...No Excercise...Apathy...Sloth...etc...and they see these comercials and they think a pill will solve their problems.

THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE CASES! When a 24 year old...a person who should be out having a good time every night...with not a care in the world...with their whole life ahead of them...actually reaches out on a web board by posting they are constantly thinking of SUICIDE...THAT is not the time for you to be making statements that taking a pill won't help!

I and my Family own a business that is in the Medical Field. I am familiar with the issue this person has. If you are only 24 and feel like this....then you either have a CHEMICAL IMBALANCE...or something else...even LYME DISEASE could cause this...so stop telling the KID a PILL is not the answer because it maybe something as simple as this person taking a Strong Antibiotic to set them straight and give them their life back!

To the person who is 24...trust me and go get checked out. Split Infinity

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

A lot can happen in 24 years.

Doesn't need to be something physical but yeah, other than that i pretty much agree with you.

Don't force your opinion on someone about non-related stuff when they reach out in such a way.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
allowing someone to commit suicide because they are severely depressed is pretty retarded. They are not in the right state of mind, if they were thinking clearly then yeah sure. I have dealt with depression so from my experience I would strongly hope that in that state of mind i was not allowed to do it.

for euthanasia for medical reasons... well depends I mean if half my face is blown off or a terminal illness it might be a humane way to go

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Skepticesque

I certainly hope it is a right, or at least a viable option to a life sentence of variable length for an unknown crime... this human condition is very Kafka-esque... or Kafka just ID'd the weirdity of being human as most great literature does.

As I have a throbbing toothache and no dental insurance, suicide seems nice... however, I know that sometime in the future I will have less reason to snuff it (or more as toothless folks are scorned) and I have long ago reasoned that as we all die, why not ride the ride to the finish?

Those that are faced with a certain, horrid demise in the form of disease should not have to resort to suicide... in a civilized, compassionate society, they should be painlessly put to sleep by docs like we afford our pets... at the very least.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
No.

Neither is abortion, war or capital punishment.

In my book, murder is wrong period.

Warning to Britain as almost half of Belgium's euthanasia nurses admit to killing without consent

By Simon Caldwell

A high proportion of deaths classed as euthanasia in Belgium involved patients who did not ask for their lives to be ended, a study found.

More than 100 nurses admitted to researchers that they had taken part in 'terminations without request or consent'.

Although euthanasia is legal in Belgium, it is governed by strict rules which state it should be carried out only by a doctor and with the patient's permission.

The disturbing revelation - which shows that nurses regularly go well beyond their legal role - raises fears that were assisted suicides allowed in Britain, they could never be properly regulated.

Since its legalisation eight years ago, euthanasia now accounts for 2 per cent of deaths in Belgium - or around 2,000 a year.

The researchers found that a fifth of nurses admitted being involved in the assisted suicide of a patient.

But nearly half of these - 120 of 248 - also said there was no consent.

'The nurses in our study operated beyond the legal margins of their profession,' said the report's authors in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Now, read two books (fiction) by Cynthia Kraack, Minnesota Cold and Ashwood. You will never have the same mindset on Euthanasia again.

In theory it's good, but for anyone out there that is a Christian or Jew, one of the shortest commandments was "Thou Shalt Not Kill"............no loop holes, no if, ands, butts or fancy get out of clauses.

I just know I'm going to get flamed for this one.

In the area of self defense, if anyone broke into my home with the intention of raping or murdering one of my family members, including my two dogs - yes the last thing they would see would be the barrel of my gun and I would not aim to maim.

We had a suicide in our family.

My nephew in law sat on a highway in front of a semi truck the day after Thanksgiving years back and ended his 19 years of being very non functioning autistic / schizophrenic.

I hope I am wrong, but I believe in reincarnation and if you skip out before your agreed time, it's like flunking a grade, you go back and repeat the same friggin grade again.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I believe assisted euthanasia SHOULD be a basic human right for those with terminal illness-it is obscene and unconscionable to let people linger and suffer in agony for months on end,if there's no hope and they are going to die anyway.Even animals are put out of their misery,after all-ludicrous that there is such a taboo attached to extending the same mercy to humans!!

Suicide in itself is a human right many avails themself of already,every day-i do feel its sad when its caused by depression,but i completely understand-unless people have not been there in those depths they should not judge.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

In my book, murder is wrong period.

I don't think you're a hipocrit for saying murder is murder, and its wrong period; whether its homocide, or suicide, or self-defense. I believe what you're saying is that, yes, its wrong, but I'm willing to be judged for defending my family's right to remain alive. I think you just feel self-preservation takes precendence over the right of someone else to do you harm. Does that make sense? Is that what you're trying to convey? I don't necessarily disagree with you.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Yes you understood what I was trying to convey.

While I would feel really bad afterwards, if someone broke into my home and threatened my family with death, yes I would shoot to kill.

And it would still be murder - I would then be a murderer and this would haunt me for the rest of my days.

Now, why shoot say only the foot or hand - my instructor, a ex Marine says to aim for the chest because it is the biggest, easiest target not to miss, usually you hit the chest and with the gun I have, it would result in death.

My gun is legally registered and very well hidden but easily within reach. We also have Wasp Spray (which works better then Mace) but if anyone entering our home is carrying a gun - my options, I feel would be limited to using my gun.

I pray this never happens, again, to take another life, animal or human would traumatize me. But I would do this to defend my family.

I don't go out looking for trouble, if someone makes a rude remark to me, I ignore it, words are cheap, I don't fight.

But if I am cornered with no way out - again, I really pray I never have that choice to make.

BTW: I have had a gun held to my face twice and both times turned around and walked away, so I know what having a gun, (both guns were 45s so they were big and would have blown my head off) I know what being threatened is like. Not like most people that see movies and play video games and think they know.

I've also worked in nursing (ER) at a inner city hospital with one of the highest murder rates so I have seen what a 45 can do. I am not just another 59 year old lady living in la la land, I've had quite a adventurous life and like Bilbo in The Hobbit, I'm ready to sit on my back deck and watch the grass grow - I've had enough adventures to last me several lifetimes.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Sorry if I didn't come across clear enough.

edit on 18-4-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Then pray the government doesn't get involved in your health care.

Read, Cynthia Kraack's "Minnesota Cold".

Also, I don't trust the insurance companies either, I use to work for one.

Profit before people.

With the suicide you are thinking of, it's each person makes their own choice - (still murder in my book) but any who, that is how TPTB edge in immoral laws, they bring them in under the guise of good and then "amend, amend, amend" who is to say 50 years down the line the individual's choice is not considered, but rather the family, state, country or insurance company?

Read the other reply I have where in the UK many patients did not request suicide, the nurses provided it without their consent.

Prove it.................dead men tell no tales.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Our lives are not ours to take. It is illegal to commit suicide.

However, since our bodies and souls were originally meant to be our own (as per the Constitution) we should have the right to do with them as we please.

Being able to mutilate ourselves and still walk on the street...that's a different matter entirely.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join