It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Opportunities - Open to Constructive Crit - My Painting of Staithes North Yorkshire.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I'm a self taught artist who has struggled with technique for a long time. It can be a lonely world but I kept going as it's something almost like meditation for me when I'm painting - the whole world goes away.
As a child - many years back - I was offered a place in Art School and off I went but after joining class, I found that all they wanted to talk about was brushes and technique - all I wanted to do was pick up a brush and paint, I was young and foolish and with no one to advice me at home I dropped out.

Oh boy did I end up regretting that decision when after life allowed me the time to paint once again I so wished I'd stuck it out and learned those techniques.

I played with Oils for a long time and especially enjoyed the challenge of portraiture - no one told me it was one of the most difficult forms of Art so I pushed on, determined to accomplish some degree of achievement and finally entered a competition - The Queens Portrait! I'm not even into the Royal Family but hey guess what, I won! Imagine the boost that gave me.

Anyway I thought I'd bring my latest painting for those interested in Art and as a reminder to younger members - 'Don't throw away your opportunities' they don't often come around.
I'm open to criticism on the ATS World Stage and hope to learn from anything constructive you have to offer that may help me improve.

As an X Pat, I have many fond memories of home in the North of England and often look at the many photographs I took whilst there (wish I'd taken more) with nostalgia and this painting is of a one I took of a little fishing harbour 'Staithes' North Yorkshire - a place I loved to visit. Perhaps some of you know the place.

This Painting is my portrayal and taken from one of those photographs. The Medium is Acrylic on stretched Canvas.

The size must have been too big as it's cut off on the right - colours also slightly differ.
edit on 14-4-2012 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
That painting is totally beautiful.
The detail of it is truly amazing and you did a great job.
The colors are serene.

Keep up the great work and don't ever stop.

I think you'll be going places.

The only thing that needs work is the 2nd canoe. The small one.
edit on 14-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
No criticism here, I'm not qualified to critic anyway
, I just like what I like and I like your painting.

It's lovely, keep up the good work

As for those opportunities when we were younger, yeah hindsight is a wonderful thing....

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Thank you so much for your positive feed back - don't know if I'll be going places though lol Time is getting on for me now :
(

I agree about the second small boat but the photo didn't show any detail I'm afraid and not know anything about fishing and what they carry well - it was all guess work. I'll have to find a fisherman to help out.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HighMaintenance

Thank you
I feel encouraged from your comments.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Your painting took me there. How serene, and beautiful it is. To be able to convey so much subtle emotion requires true creativity, and talent. Thank you for sharing part of you, with me. I'm honored by your sharing....

Des

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Im not a big art person, but its obvious you know what you are doing.......great job.....that takes skill....awesome.......

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thank you so much - I am honored by your wonderful comments!
I'm so pleased to be able to bring some beauty to this dark world and hoped a little light would shine through -

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The second canoe looks like you have water in it, it looks to be (full of water) which in theory would be sinking and it's not in the image. I think you need to make it look more like a canoe with less water in it. Maybe a little more grey to it or boards to support it as a canoe. The water around the canoe looks to be too shallow for that canoe to be full of water. Hope you know what I mean.
edit on 14-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by fugazzi777

Thank you - I'm so amazed at the positive feed back.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Yes I think I do, I'll work on it.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Nice painting

What do I think could be done better? :
The trees in the top left corner - maybe should've been done more realistically then scumbled with a fan brush to de-emphasize the details.
Buildings on left look a trifle odd due to distortion in the perspective.
A few of the colors are a tad too pure - the blue inside the boats and the roofs of the buildings.

It's a very inviting scene, very much a place I'd love to see in person.
Good work!

edit on 15-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

edit on 15-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Nice painting

What do I think could be done better? :
The trees in the top left corner - maybe should've been done more realistically then scumbled with a fan brush to de-emphasize the details.
Buildings on left look a trifle odd due to distortion in the perspective.
A few of the colors are a tad too pure - the blue inside the boats and the roofs of the buildings.

It's a very inviting scene, very much a place I'd love to see in person.
Good work!

edit on 15-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

edit on 15-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

Thank you for your comments however,
There are no trees in the top left corner - it's a sand stone cliff - of which there are many in UK - I haven't used a fan brush.
The fishermen paint the inside of their boats this colour not much play allowed here.
The houses being so old are higgeldy piggeldy and what adds to the charm of these old fishing harbours which were build before any roads. this is the only way I could express it - I think you'd know what I mean if you did visit the area.
I agree the roofs could be toned down but I think I'd lose something.

I will reconsider all your points however and thank you.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

You do some nice work.
Overall, I like your style.

Your work on the water and reflections is excellent.

The only critique I'd have is that your buildings (especially those on the left) don't look as "finished" as the boats and water, and riverbanks do.

I think this is where the boring drills of doing still life in art school would have paid dividends. My only suggestion would be to add some more shading and shadows there, some texture to the walls, and let the surroundings be your outline, versus outlining so much (i.e. the contrast between light and dark making the line, vs. painting the line in).

Nice work though, and some of the best artists in the world are "self-taught". It's talent, but yes, any training is helpful in honing it.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
WOW! Wish I had even half of your talent!!!!
Beautiful!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Your style is Your style!
Do a series - sell them/put on commission at local businesses...you can make a living on these (if that is a consideration)...the talent is more than obvious...

Å99

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
absolutely fantastic!

join