It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pagan Spirituality Defined - Thoughts?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Hmm...

Love God, and love your neighbour as yourself....

You wouldn't call that feasible?
I wouldn't. I think It would be useful to look at where this idea comes from. There are three versions of this saying in the New Testament. Matthew 22:36-40, Mark 12:30-31, Luke 10:27

In Mathew, the set-up is: And one of them, an expert in religious law, asked him a question to test him: “Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?”

In Mark, the set-up is: Now one of the experts in the law came and heard them debating. When he saw that Jesus answered them well, he asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?”

In Luke, the set-up is: Now an expert in religious law stood up to test Jesus, saying, “Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” He said to him, “What is written in the law? How do you understand it?”

So none of these is Jesus voluntarily coming up with the idea of the importance of worshiping God. The question is always "what does the Law say?" The law here means the written law, so to be accurate, the only correct answer is whatever is written down inside it, which just so happens to include love towards God.
Now love in general is always a good thing, so you can see how Jesus would gravitate towards those aspects when asked, but later when he is giving the Law to his disciples, he drops that part and only expounds on how we are to love other people.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Now love in general is always a good thing, so you can see how Jesus would gravitate towards those aspects when asked, but later when he is giving the Law to his disciples, he drops that part and only expounds on how we are to love other people.

I see what you mean...

but from my POV... We are all parts of The whole...

so by loving your neighbour you are in fact also loving God

I believe he likely had this POV as well...

<< 1   >>

join