It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the real cruel and unusual punishment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I think it is political madness if they seek to have the death penalty no longer.

Life in prison is cruel and unusual punishment.

How can it not be?!

I'd take the death penalty anyday over life in prison.

Every state should have the death penalty.

And every state should leave the inmate the choice of which type of execution they want.

You know what I think?

If there is an option for a speedy trail, then there should be an option for an speedy execution.

When you start getting old, slow, and achy in prison, then that feeling that it is a harsh hell you are endring will hit you hard. No one in there right mind wants to endure a harsh hell, right?

Anyway, just how many of you would prefer life in prison over execution by death penalty?
edit on 14-4-2012 by WarJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Working in Fast food,possibly.But my guess would be watching while your country is destroying itself by younger generations who somehow elected a communist into the white house,and of course Rap music if you're a headbanger who likes vocals.
Death penalty is less expensive when done by a pistol.The problem is a matter of innocence being proven right?
edit on 14-4-2012 by cavtrooper7 because: completed my point

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Inmates facing life in prison should be offered the choice of death penalty instead.

I also believe that the death penalty should be kept, not because life in prison is cruel and inhumane, but if the death penalty is enacted on properly then it becomes an effective deterrent.

However, in the USA, it is definitely NOT enacted properly. Biggest cause of death for inmates on death row is old age, while they await appeal after appeal on their cases.

It would be more of a detterrent if death penalty sentences were carried out the same way they were in say China, Russia, or Suadi Arabia.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The worst is watching our liberties slowly being stripped from us while the sheeple continue to graze at the government trough.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
But my guess would be watching while your country is destroying itself by younger generations who somehow elected a communist into the white house

By younger you mean the vast majority of 30-64 year old voters (the largest combined block percentage) who popularly voted for President Obama? Or the majority of electoral votes he received?

It wouldn't have mattered if 100% of the 18-29 year old voters voted for him; delegates of the numerous States were the ones that put him into power. Actually, I believe the average age probably hovered around the 50s.

I am no fan of the president, but just trying to download his presidency upon the "younger generation" shows ignorance.

The rest I gleefully agree to!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The cruel and unusual punishment is the whole thing.

The prison system does not work. It does not deter crime. It does not change behavior. The American prison system is a demonstrable failure.

Also, I am against the whole capital punishment thing. The judicial system is just as corrupt as the rest of the government. How do we expect that very majorly flawed system to decide who lives and who dies?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

The prison system on it's own isn't a failure. The problem is all the other things we have had added to it, that it was never intended to do. One of the problems is the war on drugs and the constant imprisonment of nonviolent offenders. What happens when you incarcerate nonviolent offenders with violent offenders amounts to turning prison into crime college. The second is the system was designed around the idea of rehabilitation. Well you can't really have rehabilitation happen when the applications they have to fill out require convicts to reveal they have been convicted of a crime and imprisoned.

So now you have created a group of people that are stuck in what amounts to an economic prison. Because unless they are fortunate enough to find an understanding employer no matter what they do, they will be forced into the most menial or physically demanding jobs. Add to this the privatization of the prison system, turning it from a State run institution based on the idea of rehabilitation into a for profit industry based on the idea of making more profit which is contrary to the American idea of what prison should be.

There are a number of countries that have done away with the death penalty and life sentences altogether. Based on the fact that neither sentence is a reflection of the Christian idea of rehabilitation.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Inmates facing life in prison should be offered the choice of death penalty instead.

I also believe that the death penalty should be kept, not because life in prison is cruel and inhumane, but if the death penalty is enacted on properly then it becomes an effective deterrent.

However, in the USA, it is definitely NOT enacted properly. Biggest cause of death for inmates on death row is old age, while they await appeal after appeal on their cases.

It would be more of a detterrent if death penalty sentences were carried out the same way they were in say China, Russia, or Suadi Arabia.

The death penalty has never been an effective deterrent, like ever. Not even back in the day when you were publicly hanged.
edit on 16-4-2012 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

The real cruel and unusual punishment is being forces to live under a form of government that in now way resembles what we were designed to be. Being forced to live as subjects of the government instead of free people able to decide what is best for ourselves and having to live in constant fear of being fined an outrageous amount of money or worse, fear of being imprisoned for breaking any of their voluminous lists of tyrannical laws.

This is the real cruel and unusual punishment. And what are we being punished for? We are being punished for being citizens of America, the land of the free.

top topics

join