It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanoscientists Find Long-Sought Majorana Particle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Scientists at TU Delft's Kavli Institute and the Foundation for Fundamental Research on Matter (FOM Foundation) have succeeded for the first time in detecting a Majorana particle. In the 1930s, the brilliant Italian physicist Ettore Majorana deduced from quantum theory the possibility of the existence of a very special particle, a particle that is its own anti-particle: the Majorana fermion. That 'Majorana' would be right on the border between matter and anti-matter.

Source

Majorana fermion -The concept goes back to Ettore Majorana's 1937 suggestion[1] that neutral spin-1/2 particles can be described by a real wave equation (the Majorana equation), and would therefore be identical to their antiparticle (since the wave function of particle and antiparticle are related by complex conjugation).

The difference between Majorana fermions and Dirac fermions can be expressed mathematically in terms of the creation and annihilation operators of second quantization. The creation operator γ†j creates a fermion in quantum state j, while the annihilation operator γj annihilates it (or, equivalently, creates the corresponding antiparticle). For a Dirac fermion the operators γ†j and γj are distinct, while for a Majorana fermion they are identical.

Source

What makes this discovery important? Majorana fermions are interesting because their discovery theoretically opens up a new and uncharted chapter of fundamental physics,they may play a role in cosmology as well.

Theory assumes that the mysterious 'dark matter', which forms the greatest part of the universe, is composed of Majorana fermions. scientists view the particles as fundamental building blocks for the quantum computer.

A quantum computer would make our present supercomputers look like a children's toy,even if only in theory
They say a majorana based quantum computer would be even more stable and less likely of external influence.

Pretty intriguing stuff if you ask me,even if most of it goes over my head

edit on 14-4-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Wow, I totally read "Marijuana" particle.

I will have to read this and find out what a Majorna particle is.

Oh wow, that would be cool, antimatter and quantum computing!
edit on 14-4-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Wow...that's deep...for me it is full of metaphysical import even down to the scientific notations...amazing, for sure.

Thanks for posting this...I had never heard of that particle until reading here so I'm happy to say I'm off a'researching this new (to me) thing...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Great stuff I also heard that AI's will be boosted significantly , I don't know if thats either good or bad but considering terminator vs I Robot and mixing that with wally, good be heading to our new destiny....

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Skynet is definitely in our foreseeable future haha.

If technology ever begins to approach the level of creating A.I. that is sophisticated to the degree of becoming sentient...We better run for the hills and look out!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

if AI gets smarter than humans, than it MIGHT be a good thing, because they will realize how stupid our governments are and how hateful everyone is being all the time, and well... maybe the robots will even do something about it?

maybe like terminator, but not killing everybody.

it would be cool if a robot was sent back in time to stop a bad politician from passing an evil bill or something?

hmm, well maybe robots wouldn't waste their time changing the past, because it might effect if they are ever created...

so they will probably just try to save everyone ( if they are nice robots hehe )

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

You have me laughing,thank you,I needed that

It would seem like you might just have a movie script on your hands there!

I can see it now...' robots from the year 2036 have traveled back in time to the year 2012 in order to overthrow the evil corrupt elite that has enslaved the human population ,they will not stop until every last evil son of a [Censored] has been stopped, they will slay each and everyone of the NWO's henchmen until freedom,at long last has been restored to humanity once again!

Where the Hell did these robots come from? Sentient killing machines that were created by the smartest person in the world that's where! in the year 2044,his name is Wilburt...and he is only eleven [Censor]ing years old.

Raised in the mean streets of Aspen,Colorado,Wilburt has become disillusioned with the society he has been brought up in...oppression is all he knows...other than pixie sticks & orange pop oh,right...

:clears throat:

Sick and tired of the tyrannical restrictive limitation on his bandwidth interfering with his MMORPG addiction,the culprit being the NWO's passing of the SOPA II revisionist act that was passed in 2042,it has become the final nail in the coffin,Wilburt will stop at nothing in his pursuit to crush the NWO...

That is where his vengeful super-genius-awesome-advanced A.I. robots came into play....A creation to usurp and over throw the evil dictatorship of the elite,to crush them once and for all....The 'Willbots' would of never seen the light of day,if it were not for the discovery of the Majorana Particle in 2012,little did humanity know that this mere discovery would lead to the most powerful,fastest quantum computer ever..like super fast...But first,he had to build a time machine.(Powered via ambrosia salad haha)

A time machine that would send his 'willbots' back to in time in order to make sure that Obama never was re-elected..see,that was what started it all...No one suspected that Obama was actually the first bio-mechanical vessel that housed the hybrid Nephilim soul of Akhenaten.

Unbeknownst to the true reality of the evil that was secretly controlling everything like a puppet master,this paved the road to damnation,persecution and the complete outlawing of fruit by the foot..Humanity didn't know what hit 'em...The roads were no longer safe,not now with the 'New Utahian Witnesses' patrolling everywhere, a hybrid death squad of sadistic cloned latter day saints mixed with Jehovah witnesses with the heads of deformed porpoises.. :: Shutters at the thought
::

'This summer...Coming to a movie theater near you..."Willbots: Robots versus the N.W.O."

Sorry...I need sleep .forgive my maniacal rantings

edit on 15-4-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectPerception

There's a thin line between maniacal rantings and creative genius....I'm leaning toward the latter...and that's just based on the term 'willbot!'

Hilarious yet profound. I hope Wilburt's Willbots show up soon..and not in a theater near you...on the rooftops and open fields!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

You're included in my assessment of 'creative genius,' too...the spark of the idea is all the fire.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

Originally posted by PerfectPerception

There's a thin line between maniacal rantings and creative genius....I'm leaning toward the latter...and that's just based on the term 'willbot!'

Hilarious yet profound. I hope Wilburt's Willbots show up soon..and not in a theater near you...on the rooftops and open fields!

Thank you,I appreciate the compliment.

I have to thank soymilk for initially bringing images to my mind,gave me a good chuckle.
I could see it being a nice Lil comic strip

After re-reading it,I did not do hat bad for improvising on the spot.I am just glad someone actually read it or it did not get deleted for being 'off-topic',

Glad you liked it...I may do some editing and refining to it....possibly post it in the short stories section.

We could definitely use some damn Willbots to come save the day

top topics

join