It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Coca Cola Acting Like A Drug Dealer?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
A little perspective on marketing to children in general, and a lot of people are against this. I think I will do a thread on this possibly.
www.alternet.org...
www.uow.edu.au...
www.apa.org...

spec

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

Although you see this campaign for what it is now you have to ask yourself "have I been mislead or manipulated by other organizations and not realized it?".

I say yes, hugging a machine for artificial love to develop a fondness for a product is misleading imo.

In the end, believe it or not, you and everyone else still have the power..it's called the power of choice!. Simply don't buy the product or service.

Yea, but if you drop some crack on a string in a monkey cage, does choice still play out altruistically, or has nefarious manipulation taken place? Plus we are talking about children as a market target, and yea I have a problem with that in general, but particularly in this case dealing with an entirely different culture. Sure people don't have to eat the carrot hung in front of them, but does that make it right? The ring of freedom does not always resonate happiness and good health.

I think you missed the points I was making...

For the first one I was asking you to think of other organizations (aside from Coke and this machine) who have manipulated your consumer behavior ...it was a statement to make you think of your own experiences with products and services and the choices you have made with your own purchasing power.
As a more overt example..Have you ever gone to Tim Horton's when their "role up the rim" promotion is on? Have you ever gone to McDonald's when their "monopoly" promotion is on? Both are examples of free product and prizes associated with the excitement of "winning" something in order for you to associate their brand/product with that "winning" sensation. There are literally thousands upon thousands of other examples.. it's marketing 101.

For the second one...it doesn't matter how much they try to influence you..ultimately you still have the power of choice...use this example that our parents used to tell as a kids " If everyone jumped off a bridge..would you jump too?" I know the answer to that question by most kids was a reluctant "no"...the reason that's so is because the example causes them to use their own reasoning/logic and see the end result of following the crowd jumping off the bridge is death. Take that same analogy and use it in your everyday life and you be able to maintain your power of choice.

Here's a tip;

This may seem ultra simplistic at first but it's a proven formula for marketers...All decisions people make in all aspects of their life are based on 3 things whether it be conscious or subconscious ---> Time, Image and Money ---> if they can appeal to 2 of those 3 things they will get a "sale" everytime. If you are aware of this tactic you will always have the upper hand with your purchasing power.

Don't ever believe for a second that you don't have a choice...you always have a choice!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

For the first one I was asking you to think of other organizations (aside from Coke and this machine)

I understand, but we are talking about this specific issue, which I have a problem with, and to me it represents the far reaches of marketing where what is right becomes fuzzy and the drive for profits enters questionable areas.

.it was a statement to make you think of your own experiences with products and services and the choices you have made with your own purchasing power.

Fair enough, but still doesn't affect my thoughts on this case. Again, the fact that we americans are slowly discontinuing putting these sugar shacks in our schools, it is okay to start introducing them to other culture's kids in hopes that they will become good consumers...of crap.

For the second one...it doesn't matter how much they try to influence you..ultimately you still have the power of choice.

You are assuming all parents are good and can shape their kids decisions, what about the plethora of kids that parents, for whatever reasons, are not able to shape their children's choices in the right direction? They become easily caught up in the novelty of shiny new sweet things.

This may seem ultra simplistic at first but it's a proven formula for marketers...All decisions people make in all aspects of their life are based on 3 things whether it be conscious or subconscious ---> Time, Image and Money ---> if they can appeal to 2 of those 3 things they will get a "sale" everytime. If you are aware of this tactic you will always have the upper hand with your purchasing power.

Still does not make it right, imo. I am separating normal business from this because I think it is different in it's effect and weight. We can agree to disagree I suppose, and I respect your opinion, but hugging a machine for an addictive and unhealthy product targeting kids, crosses a line for me.

Don't ever believe for a second that you don't have a choice...you always have a choice!

I do, and I realize it, but this is a slippery slope argument. We still have to be active in deciding what is right and wrong, and not let progress and profit trump goodness and health.
Again thanks for your input Eric.

spec
edit on 15-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I'm not saying you are wrong...I'm just giving you insight from behind the curtain as to how marketers work. Nothing they do isn't calculated to 100th degree.

Also my tip about Time, Image and Money being the key factors behind every human decision isn't solely related to business, it's related either consciously or subconsciously to every interaction/decision they have in their life.

You now have the choice to use or disregard the information I have provided ---> It's your choice!

edit on 15-4-2012 by Ericthenewbie because: spelling

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

But you are talking about me and my decisions, where I am talking about kids thousands of miles away. I am aware of the choice modality, but I am an adult, and I know better. So I can not swallow the logic in this case.
But your point is taken friend, and perspectives can be subjective. I am not one that gives a green light to any marketing ploy simply because people have choices. It is a matter of opinion I suppose.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I was simply pointing out that this type of marketing is ever present in every aspect society (globally) and asking if you saw other examples in your own life.

On a side note, not to discredit that marketers do try to influence children (because it's true, they do), but in the context of this Coke machine campaign, these aren't little children that are their desired demographic...it's young adults..the machine was placed at a university in Singapore (see the Forbes article I posted earlier).

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join