It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory on paperbound books extinction

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

I'm keeping all my paperback books. I don't care what they say, I'm keeping it.

And to point out one thing, Atlantis, there was also another part of land that disappeared along with that lost city called Lemuria. Lemuria was part of the N.A. continent before the flood.

Where are they today? Under the ocean.

If, by chance, there are some written text down there, I believe we need those texts for conventional means.
edit on 15-4-2012 by FreedomCommander because: incomplete

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Excellent points!

You made me realize I missed an opportunity to grab an old set of encyclopedias from the 60"s that my mom just got rid of. Drats.

By omitting discoveries and theories will the dumbing down continue especially in our public schools. A good example was when my daughters elementary school suddenly drops a course about learning about the Oceans. It was right after the Gulf Oil Spill travesty and I thought the timing suspect. What they don't know makes everything just go away and makes everything fine in the world.

I remember having current events time in class every week. You would bring in a clipping from the newspaper and discuss. They don't do this anymore either.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

we won't realize how important books are until we really need them again.

They will be worth more than any amount of gold and 4th in importance only behind food and water & shelter.

1.) Water

2.) Food

3.) Shelter

4.) Books.......because with books you can learn how to survive without needing to focus on weapons.

Knowledge is power

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SumerianSoldier
reply to post by porky1981

The big problem I see is if you turn over a book shelf you can pick it up and place the books back on the shelves. Drop a kindle or an iPad too hard and your library is gone.

If there's a Carrigan (SP?) level event in the world again, the books on your shelf are going to be just fine. Good luck with the E-devices.

Of course, both mediums are subject to mother nature. Floods, fire, and tornados, for example. But there's a greater chance a book is going to survive better than an E-device even in those scenarios.

I prefer the touch and feel of the book on several different levels, I hope the printed medium never disappears!

that's not true at all for nook and kindle. your books are stored one or more of four ways: on their servers and your ereader's "hdd", on a flash stick inserted into the ereader, on your computer or combinations of all four. so quite frankly you need to study up a bit. the same measures you'd take to secure your data for a computer you can and should for your ereader.

likewise keeping a copy of the file on your hdd and/or a thumb drive will never be altered via some supposed upload hijinks some people are suggesting. a great deal of people in this thread need to learn what they're talking about before they get near to hysterics.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Moving books and far more media to digital formats actually democratizes the information. Reasoning:
1. Availability - Digitization allows far more people to have access to materials than just a few years ago. Materials that were completely inaccessible to the average user, or required special permissions to access because of the nature of the material itself - fragile paper or materials that serve the purpose of paper today like animal skins and similar or simply written in an archaic language. Now, with the click of a mouse whole universes of knowledge can be opened, studied, and read.
2. LOCKSS - Lots of Copies Keep 'Stuff' Safe. Think of it this way, 10,000 users download a manuscript. The original is lost due to fire or other natural disaster. At least one of those downloaders is going to provide a digital copy, even if the 'owner' of the manuscript did not backup the original.
3. Comparison - It is far simpler to compare digital documents for accuracy than it is for a human being to scan two documents side-by-side for accuracy. Companies make a very good living doing this just for those who work on business contracts and legal documents. Changing the original, even if slight, will not go unnoticed.
4. Longevity - While there are arguments about what will be an acceptable format for digital documents that must last for generations I believe that this will, in fact, take place. In simple terms, governments world-wide are awakening to the fact that their digital documents must last in a legible format for not just a decade, but for centuries. Something will be chosen, and relatively soon. The reason is that paper is sucking up vast amounts of government funds due to its handling and storage.

I could write more, but consider this. The laptop I am using to write this reply has enough space to hold thousands and thousands of books. I can carry it, with all of the software required, practically anywhere.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

I want to mention that when in a dooms day sernario that a library contains damn near all knowledge one and his family needs to survive.
Star!

God bless, good reply!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MarksThoughts

And a EMP or solar flare with F*** your day all up, so books are not your thing, okay cool.

And if your not a govt. official, you can kiss your research in hardbound books goodbye being a person in the general pubic. There not going to say "no problem" help yourself. If this idea wasn't true, you would know everything the FBI, CIA, And other dept. would be doing...LMAO

Relying just on tech makes one a weak and closed minded individual, not you, but
speaking in general. I see your point, no offense, just MO
edit on 15-4-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I'd say we are one CME or EMP away from really appreciating good old fashioned Books .

In the event this happens and it will printed media may just save our bacon ...

during the decades of darkness that could follow such an event .

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I think that its kind of funny reading a few posts how much certain people are sooooooo dependent on tech that they think the salvage and safety of old items or possible artifacts is a dumb waste of time and money and the super technologies well save us and live on forever, is pure ignorance, and plain idiotic IMO. PLEASE DENY IGNORANCE PEOPLE

Well. oh good example is the move about the fallout and the KJV Bible, called The Book of Eli....

Its like people that say that the military is there to protect us, and Obama works for the people...LMAO

PHISSS POSHHHH!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Serious question for you, ......

Do you know what a EMP or solar flare is, and what their capabilities are on the effects in small areas and on earth.

I am very confused on your rational thinking here,

HUH

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Computers were originally much as like this Victorian British "Babbage Machine" illustrated above. It was only the drive to defeat Hitlers Germany that created the electronic computers that we know today. Electronics having superseded the cogs and wheels illustrated above. I too envisage that books are going to be completely electronic such that ten years from now high street book shops will be shutting down. Printing will become out of date to be replaced by electronic distribution. I can imagine that book stores will be replaced by electronic outlets where you plug in your USB stick or portable device, hit the button and your purchase is loaded up onto your stick or portable device. Notice the craze with which everyone is buying themselves a Kindle ? Or the like of it ? Just the fact that we are here communicating via this website is proof of my point. The point being made about the vulnerability of such an electronic civilization is a valid one, but I think that efforts will be made to counter any such threat. It would have to be an apocolyptic disaster to destroy us. Disasters might slow us down, but could not stop us.

The law that I live by and which is holding us all bonded is called PRAECEPTAE CAELENIUM (tm). I did not read it in a book. You will not find it in any book. It was revealed to me by audio clairvoyance during the celebrations of the New Millennium in 2000. Summed up it basically means no sex no drugs and no violence. (1) From eternity to eternity, infinity to infinity, there be the one absolute. The One True God. Her names are many but she be the one true God there be no other God. The one judge there be no other judge. (2) La Deus Nostra, Notre Dame, Our Lady, The Holy Spirit, the cause the maker Cosmica. (3) Angelic powers of truth and beauty and righteousness be sure to be loving Her Holiness Above with all your mind and with all your heart and with all your strength. (4) So as to be pleasing to Her Holiness Above therefore do not be serving the masculine. (5) Do not be and do not allow masculinity into positions of government. (6) Honour and respect the virgin pureness of the christae. (7) Honour and respect the Immaculate Conception [parthenogenesis] reproductive process of the christae. (8) Do not fornicate or adulterate or sodomize. (9) Do not bully or torture or murder. (10) Do not lie. (11) Do not steal. (12) Do not be covetous. (13) Do not be jealous. Copyright NGL(c)2000.

He who trusts in violence to be his security cannot speak that he trusts in God to be his security.

Vampire

Shimono

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Also I wanted to say that if past civilizations had the same tech we had today And these "paper" documents were no more, maybe that's why we do not have there info on their cultures.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

i know very well what they are. if you're that concerned about them electronics such as HDDs and thumbdrives can be sheltered from the effects. it's not hard, the army does it all the time.

ETA: how is rational thinking confusing?

edit on 15-4-2012 by optimus primal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Okay, the Army does not have the interests of the people, and the main population of any given country does not have or can get, or can afford that necessities to obtain that kind of protection.

Maybe your affiliated with a branch that gives you that type of protection, I'm fighting for my family and community, not for my military. so it all goes back to my OP.. re-read my friend

or add to the choas, LOL, I welcome all challengers.

And Again, I can see your point, so I won't dismiss. Thx

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD

Okay, the Army does not have the interests of the people, and the main population of any given country does not have or can get, or can afford that necessities to obtain that kind of protection.

Maybe your affiliated with a branch that gives you that type of protection, I'm fighting for my family and community, not for my military. so it all goes back to my OP.. re-read my friend

or add to the choas, LOL, I welcome all challengers.

And Again, I can see your point, so I won't dismiss. Thx

first off, i'm not in any armed forces. secondly, it's pretty amusing to me that you think it's expensive. here's a blog with some pretty usefull information, which you can double check if you like.

EMP protection cheap and easy

that took 20 seconds to find, and is one of approx. 125,000 results on how to protect electronics from EMPs. like i said before, it's not hard, and it's not expensive. anyone can do it.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I have too many books. I keep buying more. I get them for $1 plus shipping at www.abebooks.com mostly. If they printed a lot of them they are usually only $1. Sometimes they cost a little more.

I prefer paper books to books on the tube, Mostly because my computer display is small. I also have one of those kindle things, it is ok, still prefer the paper books.

I almost never buy new books, mostly old dusty books.

Hard to imagine no more books but that is the way we are headed...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The ultimate goal of the elite tech companies is to have us pay every single time we want to read / watch / listen to our entertainment. Be warned that this is a very dangerous thing and we should be on our guard.

The other point no one has mentioned is this. I am an author. How do I get paid for my book if I publish in E-book. The publishing industry does not yet have an answer to this riddle. Of course the Publishing industry is thinking only of itself. A modern fiction author may make 5 - 10%. Guess who makes the other 90% This whole area of printed books is undergoing massive change at this very moment for some very valid reason.
P

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

except you can get payed for publishing ebooks. i play an mmo with one such author, randolph lalonde. there are many ways to do this, one of which is Smashswords. worked well enough for him that he is now getting printed copies of his books made.

i myself would like to try to write a book and if i think it's good enough i'll go the ebook route for publishing, you make a larger percentage of the profits(smashswords i believe takes 20% or less, i forget) than traditional publishing via paper books and the ebook industry allows you to target a wider audience.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
there are a lot of declarations in this thread about "how things are" that are patently untrue. i suggest everyone take a few minutes googling what they think they know to be fact in the form of a question, usually you'll find you're not entirely correct, i know i often do.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
reply to post by pheonix358

except you can get payed for publishing ebooks. i play an mmo with one such author, randolph lalonde. there are many ways to do this, one of which is Smashswords. worked well enough for him that he is now getting printed copies of his books made.

i myself would like to try to write a book and if i think it's good enough i'll go the ebook route for publishing, you make a larger percentage of the profits(smashswords i believe takes 20% or less, i forget) than traditional publishing via paper books and the ebook industry allows you to target a wider audience.

They have 37000 authors and 100,000 books. The signal to noise ratio is just awesome. The moment that site says you can upload your own book, spelling errors, grammar errors included, it lost me. The two things normal publishing do, and do well is to make a work presentable and to do the advertising. Otherwise you will become the 100,001 book.

P

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join