It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory on paperbound books extinction

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Star!

Yes, this new and improved tech, can an maybe destroy our Age of Modern tech, and if written materials become rare, will have and new and improved society that thinks "snookie" was a famous princess of our time.

-qouted from me on page 2
( That is just horrible and lame. Books will be artifacts one day, and the one, the only one that is saved after the world is destroyed is will be not the Bible, but some bad autobiography of some celeberty that many loved named the great "Snookie" from Jersey shore and when the planet repopulates to 100 million they with makes statues of her and ... well... here we go again.. )

Dependance on digital media can do much harm if it gets too out of hand. Good reply.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Yea, your snookie reference made me laugh outloud, and then sneer in fear of the possible reality of it.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

This reminds me of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
(Highly recommend)

With electronic books, subtle changes can be made. Idelogy can be inserted or deleted.

With print publications, the message can be sent and traded and copied and is, in a sense immortal.

I can see to a conspiracy where print media is eliminated so memes can be inserted into the public group-think via electronic publication.

S&F!

I don't see how can this be a conspiracy. That's just the evolution of technology.

There's a problem to this, it's true. But look at how easy it is to publish literature as eBooks now, compared to the pedestrian, expensive process of print books. You need a press, you need the right kind of paper, and then you gotta bind all these pages. Of course, it gives jobs to people, which is good by principle, but in the book edition industry, these were low-wage robotic jobs that you don't wanna do for long...

I might say that there could be a conspiracy on behalf of Google and Amazon (Kindle), who are the two big wrongs in this, but aside from that, the eBooks did not use to be in the way of print format.

And please, people, don't buy a Kindle... it's completely stupid. A big waste of money going straight into a bad corporate business (Amazon), while eroding the freedom of knowledge and expression.
edit on 15/4/12 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This is getting off topic! Let me see if we can get it back on track!

The world is changing and we need to be careful.

Take the online game WOW. The original version no longer exists. Players do not have copies of it. It is stored on company servers.

In high school the trend has started that you don't buy your books, you rent the online version. The good part is it is easily updated the bad part is that for some strange reason they are more expensive and you can't hand them down nor can you sell them at the end of the year. Hmm, money grubbing &**(holes at work yet again.

When I went to high school I did physics. We learnt about atomic weapons and even had to know the formulas for making one. They are not teaching that any more.

It is not only books, movies do the same thing. They change history to make it more "acceptable". The story of Robin Hood and Maid Marion is a classic example. Considering the era, Maid Marion would have been between 12 and 14 years of age. The last movie I saw had the dear lass at about 30! At that age she was not considered a Maid, rather she was a spinster! In Great Briton the ages that the kings and queens married at are also affected by revisionists.

Paper books are useful for 'checking up on things' The ability to go to the library and look up a resource from 1850AD and get the true state of affairs keeps the bastards honest. I have a set of Grolier Encyclopedias dated 1946. That is prior to the work of the revisionists. It is a handy reference.

All fields are affected by the ability to hide history. What Psychologists were doing back in '47 would curl your curlers! Same for medicine.

If online versions of books, that is, you don't own or download a book, you look it up in cloud computing come of age then the revisionists will have a field day.

My State library is already pulling books and magazines off the shelf. You cannot for example find any details of a number of scientific fields that I know with absolute clarity did exist. Ok, they pulled all the how to books on atomic weapons. Perhaps that is Ok. They pulled early work by specific scientists.

The question is, how far is too far. What happens when you want to show some friends in ten years time the fact that Obama made two near identical speeches a year apart and all you get is "That speech does not exist" "New search?"

It is hard for us to think that far into the future. I will leave you with this technology teaser.

In the 1960s the best SciFi minds got together and created Star Trek. The best they could come up with was Kirks flip communicator! Compare that to today's mobile phone!

It is a dangerous future when at the press of a few buttons recent history can be deleted or revised. Records of judgements, jail terms, birth records. The written word will be subject to the shifting sands of time. A very short time.

P

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Thank you, sounds to me a few are still actually reading the whole first page of the thread, Star.

Members like you keep it in perspective. Again, thanks

ADD: teaser, LOL your StarTrek comment,, I just want to say.......Idiocracy by Mike Judge, dun, dun...dun.......

That's a scary thought, no?
edit on 15-4-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I don't think it is off topic so I will elaborate. If the best minds at the time could not even conjecture the thought of a video link what will life be like for us in 50 years!

The house artificial intelligence will read us a book if we don't want to watch it on the holo screen. The holo deck from S?T Next Generation could start to become real. When everything goes digital the ability for huge corporations and Governments to change "what needs to be changed" will be immense.

Today, Chinese children do not have access to details of (CIA backed) Tianamon? Square. We could be walking into the black pit of despair without even knowing it.

The next step is to get everything in cloud computing and do away with those pesky Cds and DVDs.

We are incapable of seeing that far into the future although very thought provoking movies give us a peek into what might be.

P

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
This is getting off topic! Let me see if we can get it back on track!

The world is changing and we need to be careful.

Take the online game WOW. The original version no longer exists. Players do not have copies of it. It is stored on company servers.

In high school the trend has started that you don't buy your books, you rent the online version. The good part is it is easily updated the bad part is that for some strange reason they are more expensive and you can't hand them down nor can you sell them at the end of the year. Hmm, money grubbing &**(holes at work yet again.

When I went to high school I did physics. We learnt about atomic weapons and even had to know the formulas for making one. They are not teaching that any more.

It is not only books, movies do the same thing. They change history to make it more "acceptable". The story of Robin Hood and Maid Marion is a classic example. Considering the era, Maid Marion would have been between 12 and 14 years of age. The last movie I saw had the dear lass at about 30! At that age she was not considered a Maid, rather she was a spinster! In Great Briton the ages that the kings and queens married at are also affected by revisionists.

Paper books are useful for 'checking up on things' The ability to go to the library and look up a resource from 1850AD and get the true state of affairs keeps the bastards honest. I have a set of Grolier Encyclopedias dated 1946. That is prior to the work of the revisionists. It is a handy reference.

All fields are affected by the ability to hide history. What Psychologists were doing back in '47 would curl your curlers! Same for medicine.

If online versions of books, that is, you don't own or download a book, you look it up in cloud computing come of age then the revisionists will have a field day.

My State library is already pulling books and magazines off the shelf. You cannot for example find any details of a number of scientific fields that I know with absolute clarity did exist. Ok, they pulled all the how to books on atomic weapons. Perhaps that is Ok. They pulled early work by specific scientists.

The question is, how far is too far. What happens when you want to show some friends in ten years time the fact that Obama made two near identical speeches a year apart and all you get is "That speech does not exist" "New search?"

It is hard for us to think that far into the future. I will leave you with this technology teaser.

In the 1960s the best SciFi minds got together and created Star Trek. The best they could come up with was Kirks flip communicator! Compare that to today's mobile phone!

It is a dangerous future when at the press of a few buttons recent history can be deleted or revised. Records of judgements, jail terms, birth records. The written word will be subject to the shifting sands of time. A very short time.

P

I agree... this is very, very worrying. Adding to this how scientific research is tightly controlled through the licensing/funding/review process... that doesn't look good at all.

You pointed the core of the problem: TRENDS.

For having studied sociology, I know how "horizontal influence" is much more powerful than top-down authority, even coercion and terror. SOme people in the industry got that, and they fully applied it in corporate marketing policies.

Now it's trendy for people to now put their personal and social life on Facebook, to buy commercial eBooks when these could be found for free already, and buy songs from Apple when these could also be found for free.

That's the conspiracy: how they can make it such a powerful trend that people, especially youngsters will never even dare questioning their use of such crappy, nonsense tech, that are a devolution from what the Internet used to be for so long.

It's crazy... many schools now are using Facebook as a teaching tool! And all thanks to the Arab Spring, no one dares questioning the relevance of Twitter/FB in their activism!

This. Is. Sick!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

BURN ALL BOOKS - all of them...wait I meant BURN them to your iPad or kindle...sorry for the confusion...

I carry an iPad 2 next to my M40a5, try humping 20+ clicks in mountainous terrain with 50 lbs of books onto of your 90lbs+ pack and 20+lbs .308...

Sniper...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by marinesniper0317

I can understand that, just don't rely on that, if a solar flare happens, your screwed friend.
edit on 15-4-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: HAHAHA, bad spelling

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by blupblup

You have put my thread back on topic!!!

Thank you for that info and great reply, 20 years and AS I said in the OP this is why if the few people on earth remained would barely have solid info, what damn tech is the "leftovers" going to have to process and access if the computers and tech is all destroyed?

IMO, the scrolls and books that have been found, and all the "TECH" that was lost from atlantis????

Well just think.... The Ancient Library of Alexandria was destroyed and many, many works were lost...

en.wikipedia.org...

but this is only one, important incident that we know of.... this of the millions of texts we've lost over the few thousand years that people have been writing?

Also the House of Wisdom.... Destroyed by the mongols...

en.wikipedia.org...

Also the Dark ages...The amount of literature and knowledge that was destroyed, hidden away or just concealed and locked away.... in favour of "Religious works"

Who knows what great secrets we have lost along the way.

Who knows was amazing, profound knowledge was burned or shredded in years gone by...
edit on 15/4/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by marinesniper0317

BURN ALL BOOKS - all of them...wait I meant BURN them to your iPad or kindle...sorry for the confusion...

I carry an iPad 2 next to my M40a5, try humping 20+ clicks in mountainous terrain with 50 lbs of books onto of your 90lbs+ pack and 20+lbs .308...

Sniper...

You may be missing the point!

Don't throw your Kindle away! They are just too damn convenient as you rightly point out.

Just don't throw the paper versions out either.

Otherwise you will be reading Huckleberry Finn and it will be completely modernized so no one gets offended. There goes another good book down the toilet.That sort of thing will never stop until all you will be able to read are Mills and Boone, the sanitized versions.

P

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

I recently was able to test that with EMP while it was off and no problems...solar flares hmmm how about metal trash cans with a grounding wire on it and it is inverted and you put electronic equipment in it along w batteries etc...that will keep mu iPad safe... : ) this is what my geeky air force friend tells me...

Sniper

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Wasn't there the Library of Jupiter that was burned and destroyed? Romans?? Or something?

If I remember right it held most of the greatest works of philosophers of all time.

Don't quote me on that, but thank you for that awesome Info friend!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by marinesniper0317

Really, it works [-posing the thinking man-]

Well you should do a thread on that in the survival forum

Still, I think that books could possible become a rarity before pad and such go out of style.

Thanks for the solar flare heads up..

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD

Wasn't there the Library of Jupiter that was burned and destroyed? Romans?? Or something?

If I remember right it held most of the greatest works of philosophers of all time.

Don't quote me on that, but thank you for that awesome Info friend!

The most catastrophic loss of information of all time was the destruction of the Library of Alexandrina. The Egyptian empire at it's height of power grabbed all the scrolls it could find and placed them in a great repository. The same general concept as The Library of Congress.

Very good stuff and very well intentioned. In those days there were almost no copies of much of the work. Then the building, made of wood, lit by oil lamps, burnt to the ground. Who would have thought.

P

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Well Alexandria springs to mind, that seems to fit your description?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Same place, modern / ancient / American / English spelling?

It was in Egypt.

P

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Okay, that makes sense. Just to throw this out there in the open. Is there any chance that a machine of some sort back then was ever used to keep the most important written works? Could it exist? maybe 10's of 1000's years ago. if so who would hold it, would it ever come to light?

So by saying this many are stating, your an idiot. (me)

say in a 100 years some finds a stone box or water proof box at the bottom
of some sea and it contains books from 24,000 years ago, will I still look
ignorant by this thread? Anything is possible.

And for the Christians out there, God said, "there is nothing new under
the sun, LOL take it or leave it members

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by marinesniper0317

Sniper...

You may be missing the point!

Don't throw your Kindle away! They are just too damn convenient as you rightly point out.

Just don't throw the paper versions out either.

Otherwise you will be reading Huckleberry Finn and it will be completely modernized so no one gets offended. There goes another good book down the toilet.That sort of thing will never stop until all you will be able to read are Mills and Boone, the sanitized versions.

P

NO... THROW YOUR KINDLE AWAY. This is a piece of trash.

100% proprietary, 100% bad. Hundreds of dollars worth of rubble...

Why pay when you can get it for free?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

One more thing to make somebody's life easier, and makes
tons and tons of profit from people that "NEED" it, that can't
afford a car, rent, or food. More people need to hear the
quote:

If its not broken, don't fix it!..?

Everyones out to make money, and have things that we
really do not need as a human race, but hey, who am I
to judge, right?

edit on 15-4-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join