It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory on paperbound books extinction

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by reitze

Why on earth would libraries ban Sawyer and Finn books, are you sure?? Please elaborate that for me.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

I don't think books will ever be extinct. Shoot, I'm 23 and my wife and I have too many books for the space we have. We have 7 4x2 cabinets full, and then-some.

Twilight isn't in our house.
edit on 14-4-2012 by Mr Headshot because: nosparkles

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lukku

I agree, its part of a dumbingdown of the world and to gain more control of the masses, thanks to txt msg (LOL) real words are becoming obsolete.

Thx 4 ur rply

FB dsnt hlp eithr. totl bs
edit on 14-4-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Awesome your right.

The Christians say that the reason Satan rules the world and to keep tabs on the world he doesn't have the power of God so to know and see anything survallence and digital devices are placed everywhere. anyone else see it?

The Vatican. I so would want to see the book archive down there. As an example of that, isn't that why its so protected, to preserve the Vaticans power. Do you think that the masses would be in such dismay if the public new the info of the Archive?

Great reply! S!

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Well I am glad to hear that twilight is not a resident in your house hold, regaurdless, I am not saying that this issue it huge, but the supression is happening with the important information. read more of the other members replies and re-read the OP. I understand what you said, but some are missing my point.

Maybe I failed in my OP presentation.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I don't see what the problem is....technology is ever expanding and more people are enjoying the luxuries of being able to read a large number of books on a single device... I personally think it is a good thing and definitely better for the environment. Look at the postal service, I don't think I've mailed something in the last 10 years to be honest because of e-mail... less books, less mail, less trees cut down, no conspiracy here!

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by porky1981

Like I said, its an Idea only. And I'm looking at over 10,000+ years of history because it seems history repeats itself.

I can agree with you though. The postal service is only good on BD's and X-Mas, and benefits those in prision,

Ahhhh, so sad that they don't get IPad's an such, wah

Thanks for the input friend! BTW love your Avatar, brings back good times,

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by porky1981

The big problem I see is if you turn over a book shelf you can pick it up and place the books back on the shelves. Drop a kindle or an iPad too hard and your library is gone.

If there's a Carrigan (SP?) level event in the world again, the books on your shelf are going to be just fine. Good luck with the E-devices.

Of course, both mediums are subject to mother nature. Floods, fire, and tornados, for example. But there's a greater chance a book is going to survive better than an E-device even in those scenarios.

I prefer the touch and feel of the book on several different levels, I hope the printed medium never disappears!

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SumerianSoldier

Great reply friends. "dropping" totally has a benefit: BOOK-1 DEVICE-0

YES, the touch, feel, and smell of a very old leather bound book is just classic, but most youngee's wouldn't understand that at all. I guess the older you get the more appreciation you have for things and life, thanks for a laugh and some truth!

!!!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I'm a smell person. I love the smell of books and food lol. I tried reading kindle. Doesn't catch me like a book.

Guess I'm getting old

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

right there with you, I am glad to see that there are many on ATS that are book lovers but it seems that some are getting off topic for the OP. What are your thoughts on the history of books and knowledge that may be suppressed by tech?

Penny for your thoughts??

Thanks for the Smell comment, I feel the same

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Mirror mirror, on the wall, when will we upgrade you to Ice Cream Sandwich(Android Tablet?)

Was Merlin just another name for Jeeves?

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by blupblup

Great sum up! That's right, I agree that that may be very true about mankind's downfall is that the "BigWigs" as some say are too busy accelerating electronic tech that they are forgetting how to protect it by as you said "a solar flare." Or, maybe there's a safe protection device they have, but only available to the elite and not the masses.

Okay, bare with me....

So let's say that today's kings and queens, presidents, and others have the protected tech and we fall into a doomsday senario. most of the earths masses (poor and middle classes worldwide) fall into a Medieval Age so to speak and all the manmade resources are consumed, cars are melt down to make tools, weapons...etc. languages, tribes, communities are lost and separated. Mean while the kings and elite lose most of their resources and have to take what they can from the poor masses to keep their interests confined to themselves, and as their mean to upkeep their "tech toys" have no way to keep them working. So, they keep them bury them, as 1000's of years go by people find them buried around the world........ getting the picture I'm painting?

History repeats itself, and repeats itself.....

ADD: Wanted to also say that, do you really think it was a surprise to a select elite when they find these amazing and wonderous artifacts around the world? I'm sure there are a few that may say, "damn, my family has been talking about that for 200 generations and somehow got stolen from our house 8000 years ago and now its sitting in a museum. my great, great, great.......uncle just had to pawn it for the whor......... and the elite parent may teach their kids not to tell others about certain things, less may we lose control of the masses
edit on 14-4-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: ADD

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Is it true, that a long time ago, firemen used to put fires out and not burn books?

We must burn the books Montag, all the books...

The fire engines are way cool.

edit on 15-4-2012 by kawika because: add video

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
You have google going around the world scanning books. You have bookstores closing down all over. I think we are on the brink of a new dark age.

Oooh the dark age. Has it occured to you, that generally stores are closing down? They close down because we don't need them anymore. With onlineshops around, where you can find and buy absolutely everything who needs store with rather limited inventorys where you generally never find what you're looking for? I haven't bought something in a store for the past 7 years and i'm happy. Because back then every time i was looking for a CD or DVD, i never found what i wanted and i always hated it.
I am really thankful for the modern times we live in, i'm happy i can get everything with a couple of clicks, can save money (stores generally have more expensive prices, it's crazy) and get everything.

It's the same with newspapers: Why pay for a pack of papers which are completely outdated? Thanks to the internet, we can get news in real time, who needs newspapers?

Originally posted by Germanicus
I also think we are in a semi-dark age right now. Nobody reads anymore,people are getting dumber. Most ATS users are evidence of that.

One of the absolute dumbest arguments is this. "Oooooh only reading makes you intelligent". It's something old people say who don't have a grasp for reality anymore and dislike everything that is modern.

As for books: Who needs paper books, when you can get everything in e-form? Paperbooks get damaged, they smell horribly and books made in England or USA generally have a extremely crappy paper 'quality' even after a one-time read they look like they're 50 years old

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

There will always be people (like myself) who much prefer to have a real book to read rather than a wall of text from a computer screen. Don't get me wrong, I have read E-Books but they send my eyes funny. I agree with what you are saying but it will be many years untill books are phased out because so many older generations love real books.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

There will always be people (like myself) who much prefer to have a real book to read rather than a wall of text from a computer screen. Don't get me wrong, I have read E-Books but they send my eyes funny. I agree with what you are saying but it will be many years untill books are phased out because so many older generations love real books.

I'm the same actually but I've never read an ebook.... much prefer real books.
Also still have Vinyl, Cassettes, CDs and DVDS... but the problem is that 80%+ of people have probably made the "Digital switch" in many countries.

If something were to happen, it would be up to the very few to "redistribute" the knowledge and arts and there just wouldn't be enough to go around, plus much of it would be bought up by the wealthiest people.

I agree It may talk a while before everyone stops owning books and so on...

But just look now at what's happened to music in the space of just 10 or so years.

And what's currently happening with books and has done for just 3 or 4 years?

It really wouldn't take that long for most of the worlds books and art and music and film to be "discarded" and traded in for digital, smaller more practical ways of accessing our fav things.

I think within 20 years almost every library will be closed, every music store, book store and possibly gallery.... Google have just released their own "Virtual Art Project" that enables users to view galleries around the world from the comfort of their own homes.

www.googleartproject.com...

This is a growing trend and almost all forms of entertainment, art, music and literature will soon only be available wirelessly and via the internet or electronic devices.

edit on 15/4/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Wow you must be a genius- thats what you were looking for, right?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I enjoy digital books. But not as much as holding a real book in my hand. And enjoy that new book smell.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
When I was little: the neighbours had an old set of encyclopedias that I would flip through when we visited them - it had tons of full-colour, full-page illustrations - too young to read.
Mom later bought them at the neighbour's garage sale, and I started using them in school til I saw how outdated some of the info was, compared to the ones at the school library.

One of the illustrations that stayed with me was one of the hollow earth. I also remember a photo of a plane, with the copy, but can't remember ever reading it.

Fast forward to 3 years ago when I first read up online on the hollow earth theories. Admiral Byrd, all that stuff. In the midst of that info was the same illustration I saw as a young child - the hollow earth, and it's interior.
It took some time before I realized I had seen it in that set of encyclopedias that were probably from the early forties.
Part of the online info stated the printed info of the hollow earth theories, and Admiral Byrd's reported trip in to the entrance at the north pole, were removed from textbooks and other print resource material, in the forties.
In another online article, an elderly man reported his distinct memories of men coming in to their school and replacing their textbooks.

I forgot to add I do realize the validity of online resources - and can be akin to the credibility of all digital materials, no?

Digital material can be changed instantly and quietly.
And to ShadowAngel85, just accept the fact there are some things you don't know til you live through them, and at age 26 or 27, if "85" is your year of birth its clear to see you just haven't been around long enough to see how the new is not really new at all, its just in a different format.
Not an insult, just a statement of ages.
edit on 15-4-2012 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: forgot to add

To tie this in to the OP's topic at hand: Using the hollow earth excerpt as an example of how information can and was suppressed/removed/censored.
I can't believe that would be the only thing removed - what else has been?
Really wishing I still had that old set of The Book of Knowledge books as I'm sure there is other info that was contained in it, that has been suppressed. And why was it? Are we not bright enough to be provided with all the knowledge possible?
The ancient knowledge is closer to the truth than obviously we have been told. Hoping my example illustrated an example of it occurring.
I want some!
edit on 15-4-2012 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: to clarify

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

You have put my thread back on topic!!!

Thank you for that info and great reply, 20 years and AS I said in the OP this is why if the few people on earth remained would barely have solid info, what damn tech is the "leftovers" going to have to process and access if the computers and tech is all destroyed?

IMO, the scrolls and books that have been found, and all the "TECH" that was lost from atlantis????

Anyone else painting this picture? Socrates wrote many things about the lost city, but where are the records, did their dependance on tech become a downfall of written hard , wise knowledge?

Just a thought..

I want to add again, I notice "ONE LINERS FROM NEW MEMBERS" please give more of a response and please re-read the ATS T&C (terms and conditions) if you need 20 posts, do it wisely.

edit on 15-4-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join