It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deleted Threads

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

The way ATS handles its censorship is suspicious

I couldn't agree with you more. There seems to be more then meets the eye even here on ATS.

Starred and Flagged.

I've seen many interesting threads, some quite interesting thrown away rather quickly.

There was no profanity, no witty, rude sarcastic, remarks that are so often allowed or talk of drugs or sex.........the sex threads are allowed for the most part if worded respectfully.

I possibly wonder at times, if, like the rest of us in the monitored and controlled matrix, ATS, does in fact, bow to a higher power?

Now, I do like ATS, for the most part you find out stuff much faster and what's really going on but concerning certain subjects, particularly a lot of what David Icke has hinted at, is automatically thrown in the trash bin and launched into the deepest abyss never to be seen or heard of again.

Personally, I would like once a year to see for a 24 hour period - all the threads that were black balled and why.

To "Deny Ignorance", "Freedom of Speech", not on ATS.

edit on 14-4-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
who deems a topic interesting and worthy? lol sounds like censorship power to the mods.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
if the pay is good then i wouldnt mind being a mod here.

what is the starting pay btw?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Other member's posts or OP's are not your concern.

Such a global statement seems counterintuitive to the ATS format. Other members’ posts & concerns are precisely what lands me here; in fact, this is the first place I lurk to keep from falling into the ever-present MSM voids.

There is no "censorship" on ATS, as you do not have freedom of speech here. Nobody on the staff or the ownership ever made claim to giving you freedom of speech.

This is a private board, governed by the Terms that you agreed to when you signed up.

Again, if it's not to your liking, why return and post at all? I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but honestly, how hard is it to understand that we will enforce the rules you agreed to?

Nobody is forcing you to post on ATS, nobody is forcing you to remain on ATS.

The reason we do not discuss staff actions or members with other members is for these exact reasons.

Members do not seem to want to accept our explanation of events, regardless of the topic. There are always those who wish to paint the owners and staff as being the thought police somehow. Or that we have some sort of nefarious agenda.

When in reality, again, you all agreed to these rules. All we ask is that you abide by them.

~Tenth

Interesting caveat that a mod would present what could be perceived as a curt retort for such a seemingly legitimate concern; that is, a member of this private forum is a contributor to a thread and doesn’t understand why the thread and or posts w/in are removed w/o explanation to the authors.

I’m grateful for staff & members alike as we collectively embrace & deny our ignorance. I’m mostly grateful for the combined dynamic that is ATS, not the disjointed condescension that frequently accompanies moderator and favored ‘authorities’ on a particular topic.

The later stated 70 to 250,000+ ratio of content monitoring is indeed daunting, but blatant moderator bias is more often the ‘rule’ than the exception that is frequently evidenced when mods choose to camp in threads where self-proclaimed expert contributors freely skirt T&Cs w/o repercussion.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

That happened to me too. I spent about 30 min writing a thread about something I can't mention just to have it deleted within 5 min. It sucks, oh well...

Never choked on a lie!
Peace

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Just call them the Fun Police and be done with it. Say no to mentioning drugs...but ensighting rebellion is ok.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
true, we are not forced to come here . if anybody knows of a good alternative ,
please let me know.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
No kidding. It seems like some of the mods censor posts based on their own biases, too, whether intentional or not.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I must repeat what the one Mod stated. This is a private website...with terms. Too many folks think because you say, paste or download something...its yours and you can say or do whatever. You cant.

Like copyrights. Just cause you get it somehow, doesnt mean you have any right to do with it what you want (like say what you want here just because it IS here). Society and PRIVATE-Club-like enterprises have their own rules.

If you dont like it after joining here...go start your own website.

Thanks Mods...for moderating.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Terms and conditions blah blah blah....you'll never get a different response from them, other than Skeptics famous banning for being a "conspiracy extremist"

I love this site but PLEASE ADMIT YOU HAVE DOUBLE STANDARDS!! We all know it

Examples:

Manners and Decorum = Completely vary on ones personal preference. I've been punished for very minor/picky things, whilst other concerns are allowed to continue.

Some thread topics may not be posted multiple times, when others can be.

edit on 14-4-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
thats exactly why im quietly searching the internet for a new forum to call home. ats is fast losing its way

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I don't know what the gripe is about. This site is "owned" by other than "Most" of us users. If I find a thread offensive, I go away. If the powers that be find it offensive it goes away. if yo don't like the way it's run, you might as well go away. It' not going to get much better for you, unless they make you head moderator, or part owner.

The only thing I can't figure out, since I wasn't here for a long time is why *i can't get answers to my posts. Else, I'm not sure how to rack them unless I write down the page,, date, topic, etc. And that does seem excessive. But even aqt that, I'm not prepared to leave.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I don't enjoy posting here anymore.. the trolls are even worse than the over censorship by the mods.. I mostly just stop by for the alternative news then google it for more information.. no point discussing it here.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Morpheas

My point exactly. And you try and say something about it and...

Bam.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Unless it is an obvious issue such as a blank

Blank origional post

If this isn't the biggest mockery of the star, flag and moderator system i'm not sure what is!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
edit on 15-4-2012 by litterbaux because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2012 by litterbaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I never understood the "American," morality..

As long as even the sound of people making LOVE is considered a TLC violence because of sexual content
A naked person, a nipple, or even the suggestion off...

BUT

Shooting, killing, or other heavily violence is no problem....

It is plain stupid.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Having read this thread and being a long time lurker of ATS but a rather new member I can say that out of all forums I have lurked this has some of the most strict moderating I have seen. The mods here seem to have some sort of superiority complex when compared to other members.

I opt to use ATS as a quick place to get news, I usually decide against posting in discussions mainly because from what I've seen the past year members are just generally rude. This thread is an excellent example of how plain out condescending the moderators on this site really can be, some of the stuff said in here by the mods and their cronies further enforces my stance of observer rather then poster. & I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Peace.

edit on 15-4-2012 by heyitsphil because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

The simple yet effective motto of our membership is "deny ignorance", which signifies an effort to apply the principals of critical thought and peer review to the provocative topics covered within. More than a slogan, our members have embraced the motto as our collective cultural standard, demanding all to aspire to a higher standard. These simple two words have galvanized a broad membership that spans the spectrum from highly speculative conspiracy writers to staunch doubters. The result is a unique collaboration of diverse individuals rallying under this simple statement to learn from each other, discover new truths, and imagine new ideas that expand our minds. This motto has life. It has purpose. It demands ATS members to think. It is a state of mind. It is a sense of purpose. It is a statement against the paradigm. It is a rage against the mindless status-quo. The idea of "deny ignorance" isn't a goal that ATS hopes to accomplish. Instead, it's a challenge. A call to all those who come here to aspire to a higher state of awareness through informed discussion and debate. Deny ignorance is what we do. It's how we think. It's how we talk. It's how we listen. Ignorance is the social disease of history. Is the evil that men do, the reason history repeats, and the cause of intolerance. We deny it. it's not welcome here. Within these boundaries, it has no strength. Here, ignorance is denied.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The whining on this site never ceases to amaze me

Oh goody, an opportunity to use the phrase people like you always like to use......If you don´t like it, noone is forcing you to be here......cool huh?

No, they are not. You don't have "free speech rights" at ATS. Must I explain it to you, again? How many friggin' times do we have to go over this?

Noone is asking you to do anything. Self importance and arrogance speaking here, clearly.

Have at it. But if someone throws an egg or a tomato at you, hey. That's free speech, too.

No that would be assault.

"It's not FAIR that I can't talk about whatever I want to!"

Well it isn´t. Jeah we all agreed to the rules, but when you sign up you have no idea how much of a problem these rules potentially turn out to be, by the time you find out you have already invested your time and soul into this site.

Read the quoted text from the ATS about page.

Tell me this does not paint a picture in wich this censorship should be considered unfair. Tell me the two things are not completely contradictory.

Yes, these are the rules, but maybe a lot of people here feel that the rules should be changed, cause the situation is indeed, and this is a word I just learned at pre-school, hypocrytical.

"I generated this content. Without ME you are nothing, therefore this site is MINE!"

That would be We generated this content, without US you are our nothing. I wouldn´t say it is OUR site but WE surely are the biggest driving force.

Oh, and about this being YOUR site. That's laughable. You won't be missed if you leave. Trust me. Even if Phage left, people would just say, WTH happened to Phage? Oh, he left. OK. Next?

What if everybody left? Would there be a site left? I don´t think so, so it must be the members that make the site. I feel that your way of thinking is like a tyrannical dictator. As long as individuals are divided they have no power and mean nothing, right?

OK, so what should you do? I just have a simple suggestion. I humbly request that YOU concentrate on making posts and threads that are a) factually accurate, b) documented, and c) interesting to the rest of us so that we might all learn something together.

People do so, and uphold the motto of the site, and still their work gets trashed because it touches a forbidden subject, even if it does so barely, wich is ridiculous. No matter how many times we agreed to fine print.

Go away, kid. You bother me.

Maybe this should be the site´s new motto.

edit on 15-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

I will tell you what i told another member a few days ago,on a similar thread:
It's annoying how people first complain on how the forum has gone down the drain and then come back and complain about the censorship.Some of the members that agreed with your OP,have complaint in the past about the quality of ATS and why the Mods don't take action.

Please people make up your minds.

I have seen some really good(in my personal opinion) threads get trashed,but since i don't know what happens behind the scenes i don't complain.Apart from the TC violations the members themselves seems to get offended with everything and propably alert the mods themselves.
I have seen good threads that are overflown with trollish and offensive posts,just because they don't agree with the OP.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble,but it's the members' fault that usually a thread is deleted/closed.
You have to understand that being a member,doesn't make you the master of the universe.We are all guests here and (like it or not) we have to follow the rules.

reply to post by schuyler

And what he said

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well, thanks for the responses.

Other member's posts or OP's are not your concern.

What do you think I come to this site for then?

Staff discusses ALL actions taken against member accounts and threads, prior to making a decision. Decisions are made on two basic principles:

1.Does it violate the Terms & Conditions?
2. Is this content good or worthy of the ATS community?

It's really simple, you come here and ATS provides this venue free of charge. The Terms & Conditions are very clear regarding what is acceptable and what is not.

Anything outside those Terms & Conditions gets removed. If there is such a problem with the way the owners and staff run things, then why keep coming back?

Why can't we have a forum for deleted threads that members can read? I would like to be able to judge for myself if I want to see the thread and its information without having a moderator or a business choosing for me, this is exactly what the MSM does and we all know the general consensus on them.

The terms and conditions are hypocritical to the purpose of the site IMHO, they are flawed. A lot of really bad things have happened because of a flawed order or law. I don't think anyone should have to abide by something that is fundamentally unsound, or at least it should be changed to be correct.

That being said, another member point out an idea of a separate forum with a disclaimer upon entering. Why not have a forum for threads that the business/ownership is more "sensitive" to. That way we can choose which information we want to see and which we don't according to the current T&C.

There is no "censorship" on ATS, as you do not have freedom of speech here. Nobody on the staff or the ownership ever made claim to giving you freedom of speech.

Again, if it's not to your liking, why return and post at all? I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but honestly, how hard is it to understand that we will enforce the rules you agreed to?

Nobody is forcing you to post on ATS, nobody is forcing you to remain on ATS

I don't think anyone in their right mind wants to come to a conspiracy site preaching "deny ignorance" and have information routed around and erased from them in a certain manner, which is what I would call censorship.

I return and post because I want to, despite all the flaws I see. The whole world is flawed and I'm still here kicking. Don't hold it against me for pointing out things I think are wrong, obviously I'm not alone in that. I think something needs to be changed so members who don't want to be censored don't have to be subject to it, so = this thread.

I come to this site because this stuff disturbs me intellectually, but I would rather be disturbed and informed than I would be blissfully ignorant. The "censorship" of topics based upon what appears to be a quick opinion (once again referring to the 73 year old woman kingpin thread) of the whole point of the thread and the quick manner that they are erased sometimes suggests someone wants to quickly remove the information... this is disturbing.

Nothing better than a disturbing aspect of the world that can be easily fixed.

I'm just saying, some transparency would be nice just so us members can be comfortable here. Can there be a way of opting to view all deleted threads? Or a separate section where we read the stuff that is seemingly erased from a regular members view?

I can't be entirely comfortable with the ideals of ATS while there is any sort of information patrol. I'm not claiming to say ATS is a government entity, I'm sure everything you guys do is probably of modest intent, but maybe just as a show of good community allow us to opt to see what is deleted?

- - -

I don't think removing topics remotely related to certain things is good, because sometimes topics and concepts have relevance to each other. This is why you can't have certain things as "no no"s, because they always have to do with a host of other things. When you censor one thing you are censoring everything related to it and effectively removing information that could provide valuable insight.

This perpetuates ignorance about certain things and all things related to that thing. The site motto says to deny this, so that is what I am doing and why I made this thread... to deny ignorance.

Strikes as a kind of metaphor of the American government in a way, a nation that doesn't follow its core principles of freedom and liberty anymore yet still feels inclined to use it as a selling point.
edit on 15-4-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join