It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"God" didn't put that meal on your table

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I have, at times, been irritated by the bloviate grandstanding of some people who use the ritual of "grace" to proselytize. However, I like the idea of a moment of thanks and calm before diving in and devouring a meal.

It's healthy to take a moment and address everyone at the table, the meal and the maker of the meal, the animals that gave their lives so that we can live, etc. Take a breath, and then chow down, don't forget to chew your food. It's just manners.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
He may not put the food on your table but he puts it on mine
. It is understandable that you would not want to thank him, he is not your King but he is mine hallel'u'Yah.

If i were to eat a meal at your home, i would thank him first for all of us and thank you second for inviting me to your table. When you invite someone into your home for a meal or to stay the night it is an act of kindness and mercy and those come from Yeshua and so we thank him.
edit on 14-4-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I injured myself doing a 96 hour working week.

I worked for a long time before I was injured.

I am not well-off, but I have enough to survive on. If you were injured and unable to work, what would you do - refuse the help? You never know what's around the corner, so your snarky comment really shows your complete immaturity.

Goodbye.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

Where I am today has nothing to do with god, and to think that is ridiculous. I work hard, and in return I get money I can use for necessities and luxuries, and health insurance that keeps my healthy. What I will not do is sit back after working a long hard week and say "Good thing GOD is doing all this hard work for me!".

God is just a crutch for the weak minded that refuse to take responsibility for their actions or face reality. How someone can wake up after an open heart surgery and thank god for getting through it is a mystery. God didn;t do #. That surgeon that went to school for 12 years and works 16 hours a day DID, though. Thank him.

reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

I never insulted you for being on benefits. If I was injured I'd hope they'd be there for me, too. But to sit there and thank god for those benefits is the equivalent of spitting in the face of every worker in the UK.

In this day and age where people who believe in aliens, big foot, The Loch Ness Monster, global warming, etc. are looked down upon, I cannot even begin to understand how god is such a widely accepted idea.

Note: It's funny, it seems the more religious someone is, the worse their grammar.
edit on 4/14/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

to thank god for those benefits is the equivalent of spitting in the face of every worker in the UK.

I find this highly offensive, as there is no way on earth that I would 'spit in the face' of anyone.

I thank God that I was born where I was born, so that I live in a country where the support systems exist for people who are unable to support themselves. As a taxpayer, I was happy knowing that my contributions were supporting people who needed the help. As a claimant, I won't degrade myself by saying that I'm somehow indebted to every taxpayer - if I hadn't been injured, I'd be one of those taxpayers, and what's more, I'd be thanking God that my health enabled me to work and pay taxes.

In an ethical society, nobody should complain about the support of disabled people, and they should respect the fact that part of their tax payment is needed to support such people. How is it spitting in the face of any of the taxpayers if I thank God for placing me in this world within a country where the systems are such that when I became unable to work, I was still able to support my family in a basic manner?

PS - I hope the 'bad grammar' comment wasn't aimed at me, as I generally consider mine to be quite good?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyInTheOintment

to thank god for those benefits is the equivalent of spitting in the face of every worker in the UK.

I find this highly offensive, as there is no way on earth that I would 'spit in the face' of anyone.

I thank God that I was born where I was born, so that I live in a country where the support systems exist for people who are unable to support themselves. As a taxpayer, I was happy knowing that my contributions were supporting people who needed the help. As a claimant, I won't degrade myself by saying that I'm somehow indebted to every taxpayer - if I hadn't been injured, I'd be one of those taxpayers, and what's more, I'd be thanking God that my health enabled me to work and pay taxes.

In an ethical society, nobody should complain about the support of disabled people, and they should respect the fact that part of their tax payment is needed to support such people. How is it spitting in the face of any of the taxpayers if I thank God for placing me in this world within a country where the systems are such that when I became unable to work, I was still able to support my family in a basic manner?

PS - I hope the 'bad grammar' comment wasn't aimed at me, as I generally consider mine to be quite good?

God also had nothing to do with where you are born. Your mom and dad were in the UK. You were born in the UK. Nothing miraculous about it. A cat doesn't thank a little kitty god for placing him in a nice home, he just lives there and that's how it is.

The grammar comment was referring to everyone else. Half the posts in this thread are gibberish.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I'm sorry but I believe you are missing the point. Humans have zero control over where their consciousness becomes manifest in the world. It does not matter who my parents are, because I did not choose them, just as they did not choose me. If we look into the mysteries of nature we can see compelling evidence for the hand of a designer, and in fact that's a thread I'm going to put together soon. I attribute this design to an Omnipotent God, who has ultimate authority over the things that happen on Earth. Of course this isn't to say that the hand of man and other entities hasn't had a significant say in the events that are currently rolling out across the globe (the outcome of free will and associated greed/pride). God determines the hand we are dealt, and it is up to us as to how we respond.

I can tell that you are fairly set in your opinion on this subject, but all I would recommend is that you remain open to the possibilities of an intelligence responsible for the universe we see, and perhaps ease up on slamming people for expressing their beliefs.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
What is the purpose of saying grace? Personally I find it insulting that someone would sit there and thank a mythological being for bringing them food.

How about you thank the farmer for busting his ass so you could eat that food? How about saying thanks for the butcher that spends all day chopping up meat and goes home smelling of blood every night? What about the truck driver that drove that food across the country for you? How about you thank YOURSELF. I can't speak for everyone, but in my house God doesn't drop off free groceries every Saturday.

How can someone work their ass off all week and thank God for their food? Or worse, come to my house as a guest and proceed to thank God for the meal I put in front of them?

Did you make the sun shine or the earth turn today? Did you make your hair grow or your eyes see? Did you have a hand in making your digestive system work? No. The only thing you do to produce your life is think and move. The rest is done for you. You occupy the body that is given and that body is an image of Space, Matter and Energy in Time. We thank God for giving us the food because we are thankful that He gives us all that benefits our thoughts and actions. The food is not produced by us. We merely benefit from the seeds that express essence to form. The acorn holds a 75 foot oak tree within. The tree is what comes from the encoded information within. We didn't produce this. We are merely thankful the birds have a place to rest their bodies.

Claiming that the farmers are responsible ignores the one that Created it all. A Christian who prays over their food is being thankful for the provisions of life. That's all.

edit on 15-4-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
OP, you should let your "friends" and guests know that you hate their faith and they are not welcome to have their civil rights in your home. That would be like a white man who has a clansman robe and hood hanging in his closet and inviting a black family to his home for dinner. Not saying you are in the KKK, so don't take that and run with it, but it's the same concept when you say their exercise of their civil rights under the first amendment is not allowed in your home.

Those are not your friends. Friends welcome their friends to enjoy freely their civil rights granted under the Constitution.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

The way my body works can be explained easily with science. If god had a hand in making my body work, then why is it so imperfect? Why do humans urinate or #? Surely if our bodies were created by the creator of everything, our bodies would just run on pure magic. Why do humans get cancer when our bodies are supposedly this great creation of god?

You mentioning the acorn is another thing that disproves god. If god creates everything, including that oak, why does he do it by having the acorn fall from a tree and grow into another one? If god wanted an oak there, why not snap his fingers and "Let there be oak!"? Instead we have to wait 50+ years for that tree to grow.

I expect a reply along the lines of "God works in mysterious ways".

reply to post by NOTurTypical

I have a right to bear arms, yet I don't bring my guns to a friends house and start cleaning them or firing them in the back yard.

I have a right to free speech, but how would you like it if I came to your home and started an anti-semitic rant that made Hitler look like a Rabbi?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I have a right to bear arms, yet I don't bring my guns to a friends house and start cleaning them or firing them in the back yard.

I have a right to free speech, but how would you like it if I came to your home and started an anti-semitic rant that made Hitler look like a Rabbi?

You're talking to the wrong person about that. I'm a fierce defender of Constitutional rights, I even defend them of those I don't agree with. If you want to carry a gun on your hip, you may do so. Carrying one doesn't mean fire it. I'm in the city though, if I lived in the country you could do so, heck I'd join ya.

If you wanted to sing praises to Hitler, you'd have to realize I have the same right to challenge what you say. Where my rights end your rights begin, and vice versa.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

God also had nothing to do with where you are born. Your mom and dad were in the UK. You were born in the UK. Nothing miraculous about it. A cat doesn't thank a little kitty god for placing him in a nice home, he just lives there and that's how it is.

The grammar comment was referring to everyone else. Half the posts in this thread are gibberish.

Just because you dont see it that way, doesnt mean you're right.

Can you prove you are correct?

Didnt think so.

So, I guess you're in the same boat as anyone else. You, like everyone else, are unable to prove or disprove anything. So the topic of this OP is just as gibebrish as anything you would assume as the same.

*Sigh* So, I'll chalk it up to just little tommy wanting to bitch for whatever personal reasons he has... In responce... Who cares? How about something more interesting or something that actually brings up an interesting descussion. No the same old dribble every day. You say it's gibberish. I say you're whinning and just wanting to push peoples buttons that are obviously not doing anything to you but blessing you and your food.

What ignorant, toddler tantrum ways you have, my dear.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
Just because you dont see it that way, doesnt mean you're right.

Can you prove you are correct?

Didnt think so.

So, I guess you're in the same boat as anyone else. You, like everyone else, are unable to prove or disprove anything. So the topic of this OP is just as gibebrish as anything you would assume as the same.

*Sigh* So, I'll chalk it up to just little tommy wanting to bitch for whatever personal reasons he has... In responce... Who cares? How about something more interesting or something that actually brings up an interesting descussion. No the same old dribble every day. You say it's gibberish. I say you're whinning and just wanting to push peoples buttons that are obviously not doing anything to you but blessing you and your food.

What ignorant, toddler tantrum ways you have, my dear.

Can you prove a god exists? There are things I can't prove, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. I can't prove bigfoot exists, but that doesn't mean he isn't sitting in a cave laughing at all the idiots hunting him. Some things are just common sense. People cannot fly, the Easter Bunny isn't real, and god is just an invention to give the weak minded hope.

There is an EQUAL amount of evidence proving the existence of Santa Clause as there is god, yet there are MILLIONS of things that disprove god. I'll just cover one area for now, the human body. The intelligent design theory falls apart if you just take one quick look at the human body. Why do men have nipples? If humans are the creation of some higher power, why would it think to add this? Like having a finger sticking out of your chest, it's just useless. Another one is body hair. Scattered so randomly and sparsely, it serves very little if any purpose at all. I don't see how a creator would look at a human and think "Hmm, needs a few random knuckle hairs, and just one single shoulder hair. Perfect.". It makes zero sense. The fact humans actually require food, water, and oxygen to survive disproves god because why would a god create imperfect creatures?

What ignorant, toddler beliefs you have, my dear.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

The intelligent design theory falls apart if you just take one quick look at the human body. Why do men have nipples?

If Evolution is true, as you claim, then explain why men have nipples.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

Originally posted by Adyta
What is the purpose of saying grace? Personally I find it insulting that someone would sit there and thank a mythological being for bringing them food.

How about you thank the farmer for busting his ass so you could eat that food? How about saying thanks for the butcher that spends all day chopping up meat and goes home smelling of blood every night? What about the truck driver that drove that food across the country for you? How about you thank YOURSELF. I can't speak for everyone, but in my house God doesn't drop off free groceries every Saturday.

How can someone work their ass off all week and thank God for their food? Or worse, come to my house as a guest and proceed to thank God for the meal I put in front of them?

Did you make the sun shine or the earth turn today? Did you make your hair grow or your eyes see? Did you have a hand in making your digestive system work? No. The only thing you do to produce your life is think and move. The rest is done for you. You occupy the body that is given and that body is an image of Space, Matter and Energy in Time. We thank God for giving us the food because we are thankful that He gives us all that benefits our thoughts and actions. The food is not produced by us. We merely benefit from the seeds that express essence to form. The acorn holds a 75 foot oak tree within. The tree is what comes from the encoded information within. We didn't produce this. We are merely thankful the birds have a place to rest their bodies.

Claiming that the farmers are responsible ignores the one that Created it all. A Christian who prays over their food is being thankful for the provisions of life. That's all.

edit on 15-4-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

Lol alright man, i am absolutely certain you are superiored now, way too many coincidences and if you add enough coincidences up they make a picture. That being said i agree. I don't always succeed at being thankful but i am not a total ingrate. My wife actually thinks i am wierd because i pray out loud when i give thanks. I'm sure God can read our minds or hearts. It's not a matter of me trying to offend anyone or be holier than thou, it's just my style that when i give thanks i say it out loud and without shame.

edit on 15-4-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Adyta

The intelligent design theory falls apart if you just take one quick look at the human body. Why do men have nipples?

Lol, do not get me started on that. I've been wanting to ask God why he did that myself. I mean nipples on a man? What was he thinking? Everytime i think of that i nearly die laughing.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Adyta

The nipples are added to the embryo before the embryo receives the necessary hormones to start growing male or female parts. Surely if god had created humans, he wouldn't have overlooked this jumping of the gun.

Evolution is imperfect... something a god wouldn't be.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Boy, nobody call him a God hater.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

The nipples are added to the embryo before the embryo receives the necessary hormones to start growing male or female parts.

I have a much more simple answer:

He created us with nipples so we could also tell when it was cold outside and we wouldn't freeze to death.

No, I kid.

God gave us the nipple for the same reason he gave them to women, for sexual stimulation.

Evolution is imperfect...

It's impossible actually.

edit on 15-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

A laughable idea. God doesn't exist, so hating him would be impossible. Would it be possible to hate the tooth fairy?

God gave us the nipple for the same reason he gave them to women, for sexual stimulation.

Um, what? I may be wrong (I'm not a doctor) but women use nipples for breast feeding. Sexual stimulation is just a bonus. I've never seen a dog tweak another dogs nipples before getting it on.

It's impossible actually.

Oh now this ought to be spectacular. Please, tell us how evolution is impossible yet a super-being that controls everything in the universe is realistic. If evolution is impossible, then please explain how we can take a wolf and breed it down into a teacup chihuahua.
edit on 4/15/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join