It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has ATS ever been approached by the FBI,CIA,or NSA for member account information?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

It's a lot to explain but this and this should get you started.

edit on 14-4-2012 by Gemwolf because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Quick answer: Jared L went on a shooting spree in Arizona, and shot US Representative Gabrielle Giffords in the head. She survived. Others were not so lucky.
Jeff W also went on a shooting spree, but at his High School in Minnesota. 9 killed and 5 injured.

Both had posted on ATS prior to commiting their heinous crimes. Information on either can be found through a quick Google search.

ETA: You are all much quicker at responding than I am. Sorry for the late reply.
edit on 4/14/2012 by GoodDocGonzo because: late to the party

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Anthrax suspect Bruce Ivins (linked to ATS)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I seem to recall the FBI found it by digging in the ATS trash bin...

edit on 14-4-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Do you know what is even sadder? All the future mentally ill criminals still here on ATS. One step away from snapping. This is real life, and like the moderators said, ATS will get its fair shair of nuts. But the "no subject is taboo" atmopshere will attract more of them. You know, I can still rememebr Jared L's avatar from the past.
This gives me the willies.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Originally posted by abe froman
In regards to an oncoing case maybe? For evidence.

Why do you want to know? Just curious.....

Because we all have the right to know.
edit on 14-4-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

Originally posted by amongus

In regards to an oncoing case maybe? For evidence.

Why do you want to know? Just curious.....

Because we all have the right to know.
edit on 14-4-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

your right goes only as far as we allow you to go.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Generally when that sort of thing happens, the court order includes a gag precluding the site owners from ever mentioning who, when, or what. They generally aren't told the why part.

Thus you will generally never get an answer to that sort of question.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
What "account" information are you referring to? ATS provides a fair degree of anonymity. Barring the fact that I gave them an email account (to receive the newsletter, because I like the newsletter), all they really have is my UN and PW. Oh, and location, which I provided in my profile, but it only lists the state I am in. Both my email and location are both optional for ATS membership. Technically, just a UN and PW is all ATS has, and your posting record, but that is public info anyway, no warrant required for that, aye?

Oh, and my IP addy, which they log, but it's dynamic, and even if you did a traceroute on it, it points to a location in another state, which is the headquarters of my ISP. So said agencies would also need a warrant for my ISP as well. Hmm, I suppose I should include a u2u log of every PM I've ever sent to other members, which also would need to be provided under warrant during an investigation.

I'm surprised you didn't include the DHS as well, as it is the bigger beast with authority over said agencies, the new guy on the block, so to speak, with a bigger agenda.

Yes, ATS is the perfect hiding spot for those extremely paranoid. It's nice to feel safe, even if you don't do anything wrong.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Considering we've had two famous shooters who posted here and the anthrax suspect ... I'd be willing to guess yes. I seem to remember something about the ATS management saying they were cooperating with authorities over the postings from the Indian Reservation shooter (up in the northern midwest) ... but I could be remembering that wrong.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

How do you know ATS isn't 'run' by the FBI, CIA or NSA?

For all you know you gave them your info the first day.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Anthrax suspect Bruce Ivins (linked to ATS)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I seem to recall the FBI found it by digging in the ATS trash bin...

edit on 14-4-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

If true...

Did ATS give them access to the database or did they go thru the hosting service?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

reply to post by Gemwolf

I didn't know there were active criminals on ATS at any time!!! links por favor?

You never heard of Jared Lougner or Jeff Wiese?

Look them up. Both were members of ATS at one point. Though to be fair, they weren't really active criminals while members....They were members with issues who killed people.

The media jumped on Jared being a member of a conspiracy website (ATS).... I can remember Bill making a public post about it. I can't remember too much of what he said. I do remember him saying something about the authorities being in touch with him just to let him know they might have some questions....I don't know if they ever did ask any questions though.
edit on 14-4-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea

If I may say, I know they aren't. There was a time that I was a staff member here for two years.

It's just a bunch of volunteers from all walks of like, helping to enforce the rules that Bill and Mark set.....And the only ABC organization THEY work for....is ATS....Well...They don't work for it...They own it.

I also know from experience that chances are....You wont believe me.

But for what it is worth, I am an ordinary member again and while being a mod was great, there is nothing quite like just posting and sharing your thoughts as an ordinary member.

edit on 14-4-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Like "Druid42" points out in his post above, what information are they going to get from us?

Let's see, a user name, something like "BigAppleUFOHunter", ok...

An email address, "BigAppleUFOHunter@Gmail.com", ok...

And finally, the IP address you registered with, all that does is tell them who and where your ISP is (unless you used a proxy to register with, then it tells them nothing), not where you are. My ISP info leads to well over 100 miles away from where I am sitting right now.

The story about the FBI "digging through our trash bin" is utter bollocks too, we've NEVER been asked to turn over the keys to any of the servers.

All that being said, we are very clear in our Terms and Conditions of use that we WILL turn over the basically useless three pieces of information we have if ordered by a court to do it. We have to, that's why we ask for and keep only the info necessary for your account to function (registration IP, email address, and user name). That's the ONLY way any piece of information on ANY member ever gets beyond us, we value our member's privacy above all, we never have and never will share our user data with ANYONE without an executed court order.

Springer...
edit on 4-14-2012 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea

More likely your facebook account already gave them all they need
I thought it amusing that FB asks for your email password to add your friends... but hey they promise not to keep it

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
+reply to post by Springer

Seems to me that user info would not be what they would be looking at. I would figure more likely that they would want to read the POSTS made by those they have interest in.

I mean talking about endless UFO hoaxes has got to bore them to tears... but if someone is chatting about going around town blowing up Mosques, Temples or Churches, I would think THAT would perk up their ears

So you mean to tell me the spooks can't find you behind your proxy server where they inclined to look?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thanks for being responsible with our information (what little you keep.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Obviously the owners of the site would have been contacted by said agency - if there was any contact. The owners would typically share this kind of information with the rest of the staff...

I doubt that and if they were served with a National Security Letter (or one of its many equivalents), then they would be constrained by rule of treason not to inform anyone of the contact.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
What "account" information are you referring to? ATS provides a fair degree of anonymity. Barring the fact that I gave them an email account (to receive the newsletter, because I like the newsletter), all they really have is my UN and PW. Oh, and my IP addy, which they log, but it's dynamic, and even if you did a traceroute on it, it points to a location in another state, which is the headquarters of my ISP. So said agencies would also need a warrant for my ISP as well. Hmm, I suppose I should include a u2u log of every PM I've ever sent to other members, which also would need to be provided under warrant during an investigation.

You are expecting too much from the requiremt to enact of a warrant and way too little from the power of a threat of a warrant. Way too much from your ISP in terms of the privacy of your location and way too little from the ultimate resolution of a dynamic address lookup...if you know where to look.

Originally posted by Druid42
Yes, ATS is the perfect hiding spot for those extremely paranoid. It's nice to feel safe, even if you don't do anything wrong.

Feeling safe and being safe are two entirely different and separate matters.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
+reply to post by Springer

Seems to me that user info would not be what they would be looking at. I would figure more likely that they would want to read the POSTS made by those they have interest in.

I mean talking about endless UFO hoaxes has got to bore them to tears... but if someone is chatting about going around town blowing up Mosques, Temples or Churches, I would think THAT would perk up their ears

So you mean to tell me the spooks can't find you behind your proxy server where they inclined to look?

"They" want every possible piece of information, if anything we know this to be true. What might be considered irrelevant does not preclude it from being sought, retrieved and stored.

"They" are a highly, highly advanced set of information interrogators. Data on (y)our Internet activity reaches back to the early 90s. Think of the billions of $$$ in research in this area alone (data gathering, storing, analysis, etc.), then ask yourself "what is possible". Take that answer, double it, take it to the third power and you're approximately one tenth of the way to their set of capabilities.

What information "they" receive from ATS could very well be, and I suspect that it is, unknown to the Owners of ATS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join