It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cult members arrested for cannibalism:"Voice made them do it"!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Police in Brazil say three people arrested on suspicion of murdering at least two women have confessed to acts of cannibalism.

The accused, a man and two women, allegedly said they belonged to a sect.

Police said the suspects claimed "a voice" had told them to kill.

Police found two female bodies buried in the grounds of the house where the suspects lived in the town of Garanhuns, in northeastern Pernambuco state.

Speaking at a news conference, Garanhuns Police Commander Democrito de Oliveira said the three had told police they had eaten the flesh of their victims.

Source

The three defendants formed a sect called "Cartel" that seeks to supposedly purify the world and reduce the population,they intended to kill three women per year.

The group attracted victims by offering them well-paying babysitting jobs and said they chose victims when "a spirit warned them they were bad people".

These people are the epitome of sick or were they honestly being misled by something spiritual,supernatural, unexplainable? Truth is that people like this exist,individuals who do not need coercing or an excuse....That's the scary reality of the matter.

Makes you wonder if any of the "voices told me do it" cases have any truth to them? or if they are lame excuses of defense,I like to think anything is possible...Many things remain unknown & mysterious yet to be discovered and understood.

edit on 14-4-2012 by PerfectPerception because: Corrections

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I do believe that their are such cases where something tells them to do whatever it is they are led to do.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

I am willing to believe that it is possible...I often wonder if many psychotic or schizophrenic individuals are not per say "crazy" but in their cases,could it be that the veil is not as prominent,or it is lifted abruptly causing insanity by standard definition.

Voices heard in schizophrenia,multiple personality disorder,psychosis could in actuality be disembodied spirits,demons,angels voices...Take your pick...We are quick to label them mentally unstable because surely having aural & visual hallucinations is not considered normal by society ...Of course presently we lack the ability to prove such a theory but it begs the question of what if?

Maybe the truth is stranger than fiction.

edit on 14-4-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

The three defendants formed a sect called "Cartel" that seeks to supposedly purify the world and reduce the population,they intended to kill three women per year.

They sure will make an impact on global population levels by killing 3 persons each year

on a more serious note.

i´m not going to deny that there are possibly (nefarious) voices that tell people to do certain stuff.

but this surely can't be a defense strategy in court.

i work with people that hear voices, they often tell them bad things (things they don't want to do) and not one of them has commited a crime.

maybe it's easy for me state but... just ignore the voices and tell em to take a hike

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I think we'd need far more information to know what the real causes were.

For instance, were drugs involved?
Was one of them a fanatical leader with the ability to persuade?

I'm betting it was a combination of things, probably a lot of drug use, and that one of them was probably a Manson character able to convince people to act based on religious craziness.

There are a lot of idiots in the world, looking for leadership. Some of them find a person they inexplicably adore and follow, and they'll willingly do what they are told in an effort to "please" them.

Just look at all the cults and sects all around the world, led by enigmatic and charming people, with potentially hundreds of weak-willed "fans" following them into whatever they demand.

I certainly don't think there is any evidence to suggest that they were directed to do it by some kind of spiritual or demonic being. I do believe in the paranormal and there are certainly things we cannot even begin to explain, but these people are clearly not all mentally capable - reduce population by killing three women a year? That's not gonna do much, and if they think it would have they are clearly confused.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Mmmm. Did they eat them with fava beans and a nice kianti? Those three wil never be normal again after eating a persons meat. Something about the flesh of a person gives them uncontrollable shakes for extreme cases. Its such a shame that the insanity defense is almost always used. Why not just throw them in a pit full of lions when they convict them? Or better yet feed them to anacondas feet first.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I agree,we would need a lot more evidence to prove if they were actually misled by disembodied voices telling them to kill & cannibalize their victims.

Fact is there usually is never any research or investigating in these kind of cases by law enforcement.
Paranormal investigators? sure but that is where it ends.

I believe the majority of cases that fall into this category are easily explainable with evidence that is able to prove the perpetrators as being mentally unfit,murderers but I am still curious about the rare case here and there that may not as easily be written off as "normal".

Still makes you think what if?

new topics

top topics

join