It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAPD Crashes into, Pumps 90 Rounds into a fleeing unarmed 19yo Muslim teen.. for wreckless driving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
apparently claiming u have a gun is enough reason for cops to kill you on the spot, even if you're just on a crazy teen night out.

no surprise, it's a police state. lethal force will be used from now on as needed, it's not the burden on the official anymore to make a visual positive ID of an armed suspect anymore before, before opening fire.

and once u open fire, you can fire away like a machine gun because we have a huge order of millions of bullets on the way.

one baby step closer to martial law, ya think?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Let's take a look at it.

Fleeing law enforcement.
Multiple red light runs, nearly hits people.
Gets pinned on the freeway.
Upon fleeing, turns and appears to shoot at the police officers.

I don't see the issue here. It's unfortunate.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

90 rounds? That's pretty extreme.

From what I read in the youtube description of the video, it seems to me this is a case of suicide by police. He takes off after being pulled over, endangers other people on the road, and at the same time, he calls 911 and says he has a gun. After his vehicle is taken out, he jumps out and acts like he's aiming something at police.

If I was an officer in that same situation, knowing he said he has a gun, has recklessly endangered innocent motorists on the road, and when he jumps out, he spins around and acts like he's aiming a gun at me, I would of fired to...... But 90 rounds? That is extremely excessive. Just a couple rounds should have been enough to take the guy down...but 90? That's insane. What would of happened if the bullets that missed him hit somebody else? A gigantic over use of force in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I'm the 1st to call police brutality if I see it but this is justified from all appearances
If police can't shoot back when they're fired on then why do they even bother to carry a sidearm?

90 rounds from that distance with a moving target sounds about right...especially if your talking about 6-8 officers

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
what happened to accountability though?

aren't officers required to make a visual id of an armed suspect?

and how do they explain the use of 90 rounds on a nevertheless unarmed driver? they were too lazy, full of coffee and donuts to bother with a chasedown and apprehension of the suspect?

the cops actions make it apparent they already decided real-time because of the wreckless driving it would take a hunt, collision and a killing to neutralize this crazy teen driver

and wonder what goes on in their mind when they have guns blazing for minutes, with no return fire, lol. pathetic.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
What am I missing here? The kid called 911 and said he had a gun. He then jumps out of the car and runs away while pretending to hold a gun towards the cops.

Had he just laid on the ground, he'd be alive and I'd be looking for Nibiru threads to ridicule.

I see no brutality here. I see a kid's own stupidity costing his life.

BTW, if you're looking at this incident, with THAT video, and you're wagging your judgmental finger at the police, then you most assuredly have an agenda. And for the record, I'm not a fan.

edit on 14-4-2012 by ColAngus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

I was thinking that about 40 or so rounds would of been a reasonable amount, but then again, I dont know how many officers there were at the scene. I guess I may of over-reacted a bit to the 90 rounds. Watching the video again, it looks like the guy made a good amount of distance from his car, and he dosent seem hurt while running and turning around and aiming at the police, until the end of the video, where it looks like he's side-stepping across the ground. Im guessing the officers missed alot while the guy was running (it is nighttime), until he stopped for a second behind the parked car, and that's where they finally began hitting him.

Im still thinking this guys motive was suicide by police.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
yea its apparent he decided he didnt want to survive this, so called 911 during the chase to specifically create the image of an armed and dangerous gunman on the loose.

the cops bought it. maybe thats what they want to hear.

as for all the rounds without return fire being reasonable:

group think.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I see no issue here... guy turned around and opened fire or pointed a gun at the cops. If someone points a gun at me they are getting shot no questions asked.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
If that wasn't "Suicide by Cop" I can't imagine what is, not once, but twice, he raises his arms appearing to shoot at the officers.

It's always a good rule of thumb, if you want to avoid getting shot, to do what the police tell you to do, and if you just can't bring yourself to do whatever they tell you to do, simply drop and let them arrest you. Don't act like you're shooting at them in a limited visibility situation unless you really do want to get shot.

You can fight them all you want in court later if they screwed up or abused you.

Springer...

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
but this is clearly a case where the teen wanted to get shot instead of face punishment alive. not 'if u don't want to get shot..."

what i'm pointin out is wreckless, unrestrained trigger-happiness upon a nevertheless unarmed teen.

who is in control of the situation here? the crazed teen who tricked the officers into killing him, or the officers doing their job and exercising due diligence? how do they explain several minutes of continuous spray of bullets from 8 different directions at a teen holding only a cell phone?

thesop.org...

The tremendous volume of firepower utilized in the unfortunate incident, that ran the course of no more than 15 minutes (from 9:45 - 10:00 PM, late Wednesday night), is an enigma unto itself. That is, Abdul Arian`s family has asked why did the LA police use such drastic deadly force on an unarmed teenager? Why couldn`t they have used lesser prevention tactics, such as taser guns or merely rubber guns? Why use live ammunition? And another question is, just how many officers were firing? A full accounting is in order. Bits of the unexplained 911 tape have been issued by LAPD. Of course, the public would like to see and hear the entire transcript. And then we can`t help but wonder whether Abdul may have had some mental health issues as well. Why say you have a gun when you don`t? Why would you want to become a policeman when you are deathly afraid of the police? An odd logic might be ascertained here. If you become what you fear, you can conquer the fear. Still, this is weird logic in anyone`s book! Another source for puzzlement, is the low profile status the story has taken in the larger context of what news is currently being promulgated to the public. I suspect the arrest of George Zimmerman has a way of overshadowing a minor local feature about another LA car chase, and yet another abuse of deadly force by the LAPD. In spite of its low profile, I further suspect this story will emerge from out under its rock, once people see how crazy this is. Did Abdul think his smart phone was his gun?

edit on 14-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Does it really matter if they shot him 5 times or 50 times? The point was 1) he was endangering others by leading the cops on a chase, 2) he claimed to have a gun and threatened to use it, 3) he got out of the car and motioned at the officers as if he was going to shoot them. They had no choice but to bring him down to end the situation without anyone else getting hurt or killed. Do you want them to wait to see if he shoots first to confirm whether he's actually armed?

You obviously have some authority issues. Arguing the amount of shots fired or who was in control of the situation is rooted solely in your agenda. If you want someone to jump on your train and high-five you with some "Eff the police!" type rhetoric, maybe you oughta head on over to a like-minded board.
edit on 14-4-2012 by ColAngus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
nevertheless unarmed teen.

This is utterly irrelevant given what actually occurred. I live in So. California and watched the thing as it happened. I had no knowledge of the 911 call, and I still thought he was armed when he got out, based on his actions.

I honestly cannot comprehend anyone else watching this incident and not thinking that what happened was inevitable and justified. And again, I'm no fan of the cops, but I don't immediately take the opposing viewpoint based solely them being involved, which is what you're obviously doing.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
You honestly can't comprehend the consensus of multiple others' viewpoint of this situation, other than your own.

That says it all.

another recent example where police open wildfire at an unarmed supspect: - in a gas station!

while an innocent bystander is pumping flammable GASOLINE is caught in the one-way spray o

obviously the whole gas station could have blown up and who to blame:

the unarmed suspect or the triggerhappy police squad who shoot up the gas station while gas is being pumped?!?

like minds think alike, lol

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Isn't this the sort of incident that the tasers were meant to avoid? I clearly remember in the 90s them being marketed as an allegedly 'non-lethal' alternative to an officer using their firearm in this exact sort of circumstance. Instead its being used as what is essentially a torture tool.

It seems to me that officers would just rather use their firearms.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

You know? I watched the gas station one too. And I absolutely agree that in THAT situation, the amount of force wasn't warranted.

That's how a truly discerning mind works. Not one that is blindly set in an anti-police mentality without any regard for the specific facts surrounding a specific situation.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
Let's take a look at it.

Fleeing law enforcement.
Multiple red light runs, nearly hits people.
Gets pinned on the freeway.
Upon fleeing, turns and appears to shoot at the police officers.

I don't see the issue here. It's unfortunate.

I gotta agree with you here, he was clearly turning and making gestures like he had a weapon. Unless he just got here from another planet he should have known that was not a good idea. Give the cops a break on this one, I'm sure there will be a new police brutality video in a few days.

new topics

top topics

join