Average IQ is falling in Britain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
If you got a job that deals with the general public like me this wont be too
big a surprise.

Intelligence quotients (IQs) have risen in developed nations for almost a century. This phenomenon, named the “Flynn effect” after the New Zealand intelligence researcher James Flynn, was first identified in 1984 in the United States. It has been found to occur in all developed nations, and some others as well. The received wisdom became: IQs always go up. But this trend seems to be stopping and even reversing in some countries, research in Britain, Denmark and Norway has shown. It is discomfiting to find intelligence in decline. There is a strong association between a nation’s IQ, its prosperity and health

Over the last few years iv worked in retail i have noticed the behavior of people has got worst to
the point that its like dealing with adult children.here a few examples from the last few weeks of
the behavor .

(1) Drunk man 40ish coming in to the store a 9am drunk swearing a staff who wont serve
him a alcohol
(2) people arguing with staff over prices because they cant understand the POS(point of sale)
(3) A window smashed on the door for no reason by teenagers
(4) Man mid 30s urinating on the shop floor and walking out the door.

I dont know if there is a link between poor behavor and low I.Q. but most of the people above
were not to bright,

A study in 2009 led by James Flynn himself and published in Economics & Human Biology compared IQ scores obtained by British teenagers in 1980 and 2008, using the same test. The average had declined by two points on average, but by as much as six points among teenagers in the top half of the IQ scale, a fall that wiped out the previous two decades of gains in that group.

Over the last 25 years our schools have failed to teach anything other than to pass a
exam and responsibility is a dirty word as nobody wants to be responsible for anything
let alone the behavor of members of they own family.

But this is what happens when everything from media to tests is dumbed down to such a level
we dont need to think.

I know this post is turning in to a rant (didt mean to) but just needed to let off steam.
Prospect magazine
edit on 13/4/2012 by skuly because: forgot to add link im going thick too

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Mission accomplished in my opinion.... Aspartame, flouride, low sodium/potassium diets the list goes on and on.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

There has been a massive influx of people from third-world countries into GB over the years, mostly due to the constant strife in the Middle East and Africa. I wonder if the decrease in IQ is proportional to the average intelligence quotient of refugees from uneducated countries mixing with the "developed" world...

Edit to add: Don't take this comment as "hate speech". I was only bringing forth the supposition that there could be a correlation between a lowering average intelligence rating when you mix in a bunch of people who don't have the same levels of education as you are used to.

That being said, you may also want to fix the massive amounts of grammatical and spelling errors in your OP if you want people to take you seriously about a discussion of other people's level of intelligence.
edit on 13-4-2012 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
is it possible to fall below zero, if so, it will be a monumental achievement.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This stuff is real.

I used to be thought of as a bit bright, but not genius level or anything.

As of a few years ago, people 4+ SD's over the norm on an IQ are saying I'm likely the smartest person they've ever met.

What did I change? Diet, mostly. I stopped eating processed foods, and drinking soda. I started using shower and 3 stage water filters. Started balancing my macronutrient ratio as prescribed in, "the zone diet". Stopped consuming sucrose and replaced it with veggies, fruit, and whole grains for glucose.

I also started taking a daily natural sourced b-vitamin, vitamin c, fish oil, evening primrose oil, and cook with extra virgin olive oil, and extra virgin coconut oil.

Besides diet, I read a ton, solve problems for fun, make sure to sweat everyday to stay fit, and STOPPED WATCHING TELEVISION SEVEN YEARS AGO.

I think that while I improved a little bit, most people dropped off by quite a marked degree.

I swear when I see a TV and what's being blasted into people's psyches....I cringe. It seems to be getting worse every damned year.

Just disconnect from saTVan
, eat well, and train hard...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
There could be many reasons for the drop in IQ scores. There are many neurotoxins that young brains are being exposed to, at a time when their brains are still growing and developing. Add to the mix poor nutrition, constant television which doesn't require thinking, and an educational system that demands the robotic ability to regurgitate answers but not critical thinking skills, and you have a perfect recipe for a slow-witted population. That's one explanation.

Here's another: In the days of old, stupid people didn't live long. They got eaten by wild animals, fell off of cliffs, froze to death in cold weather, or somebody smarter and faster bashed their head in and took their stuff.

Now, even the dullest tool in the shed is breeding and being supported by government entitlements. I am not advocating eugenics, but the explosion of dimwits is due to the playing field being made "fair" for those who aren't the brightest bulb in the box. Just sayin....

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Just so you don't feel left out, I personally feel its happening here in the US as well (I won't do a study for that as its jmho)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

But this is what happens when everything from media to tests is dumbed down to such a level

reply to post by skuly

I could not agree more my son does his homework by copying & pasting wikipedia then printing it off
When i was at school i had too read books before i plagerised chapter and verse and then painstakingly hand writing it down for my homework

Saying that though if kids pay attention at school they should make the grade if not there
Fcuked

This is due to the fear factor that teachers can not disipline pupils anymore some of my teachers at school were terrifying you learnt from them just from that & being caned

Bring the fear factor back to the classroom and this would soon change

Cran

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

I've worked the doors on and off for 17 years, I've also been involved in the licenced trade, covering every aspect of it from customer to licensee and I believe I've seen the worst. I must admit I blame the idiotbox, kids programs were more intelligent when I was a child (35 this year) and I also blame a lot of the current trends on telly specifically big brother, x factor, britain's got talent, jeremy kyle, anyway but essex, big fat gypsy wedding. People are so obsessed with the cult of celebrity. I remember one advert we had that infuriated me, trying to sell gossip mags on the premise that the thirst for gossip means you are more intelligent! They're being dumbed down and allowing themselves to be. I have a tv but it's for the occasional dvd or console game

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Most brits and UK take a lot of shots against american IQ. Glad to see the playing field has been averaged out

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I have to disagree with this thread completely.

Yes the standard of education is falling . Peoples self respect is falling , but that has sod all to do with their IQ.

You can be a totally illeducated lout , but still have an high IQ .

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
On the bright side, we're all relatively smarter!

I think the problem has two obvious and probably more causes. The two obvious ones are the 'idiocracy factor' where people who are idle and/or of lower IQ are encouraged and paid to have more kids than they can afford to keep. This is done by providing them with cheap or free housing and then giving them larger properties as they produce more kids.

The other one which has been mentioned in the thread befiore is that kids in school aren't encouraged to think, so they never really develop their powers of reasoning and reasoning is what IQ measures.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I agree that dumbing down of society is happening, but it's not being kept to the UK. It's also happening in North America.

Schools are making tests easier, so that kids don't have to exercise their brains as hard during the crucial development phase.

Tests that used to be extremely hard, long courses, with essay type questions at the end of a two year course (such as "A" levels), have been replaced with multiple choice options.

In North America, teachers won't fail kids, they face too much of a backlash from parents if they do. "Why did you fail my little angel, it must be your crappy teaching, not my kid's lack of effort".

Everyone gets a trophy for participating in any event, the whole group has to go at the speed of the slowest member, instead of letting the strong ones move ahead.

It's no wonder IQ is dropping.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall says it all. Symptomatic to the problem if not part of the cause.

It is visible everywhere in the West. "Ignorance is bliss" as it gives the individual more time to focus on the physical enjoyments of the ME. That aspect usually wants immediate satisfaction in some form with little thought given to the 'morrow.

Since that philosophy/way of life is not uplifting of the human race in any form whether in the physical (job, family, education) or the mental (emotional well-being and deep thinking of all types) than the only direction is south to Hell in a handbasket.

England will collapse before Mexico or even my most cursed country, the US of A. Who's to blame? Everybody and everything.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
That's a pretty scary article. I can totally understand why you might be blaming society for its own woes, but I think there is something else at work here. I think the problem has to do with all the poisons we are now exposed to. Our food, air, and water are all polluted and all contain numerous hormones, drugs, toxins, and other industrial wastes. I would think that radiation exposure is probably the main cause. We have radionuclides in practically everything. Pregnant women can be contaminated and not even know it. Look at Fallujah and our democracy spreading depleted uranium rounds. You can guarantee that their IQ's will PLUMMET. Like literally just plummet. Radiation is known to cause low IQ's. This would be a good study in Japan and see if you can correlate lower IQ's to areas of known higher radiation levels. A problem would be the spread of radionuclides to the rest of the Japanese population through food, air, and water. Whatever the exact reason(s), I really think our contaminated food supply and environment are mainly to blame.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
The problem is not even a lack of education, or the poor quality of education, actually. While large scale immigration does reduce IQ rates, a two point drop would be about a rough estimate of such immigration, but the fact is that to point fingers at immigrants alone will not help us. People are becoming incredibly dumb. The general level of attention is incredibly low, most have probably never actually read a book for enjoyment or education (outside school), spend hours on the phone or social media, watch hours of television, and no one is allowed to tell anyone else to “wise the hell up” without offending them.

People act like they were not hit by the dumb stick, but the whole damn tree.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by skuly

Development of IQ tests are some what of a form of Masterbation in my opinion. They are...at least all the ones I have seen...all FLAWED and the people who develop them have Psychological issues that include Narcissistic Personality Disorders as well as Ego's so large that it won't allow them to aknowledge the flaws inherent to the tests.

I have actually answered a certain way on an IQ test because I knew that was what the testers were looking for as an answer...even though the answer was wrong and had greater association to a different answer given in a Multiple Choice.

That is the problem with these types of tests...they ask questions to things that the testers believe that THEY have the only viable answer...nor do they take into account Social Intelligence or many other varied forms of IQ.

I scored Very High....174....but a friend I know who now works on Engineering U.S. Subs....scored Low....and he is one of the Smartest People I know. This stupid test almost forced him to go to a Community College when he should have started at MIT....he eventually got there.

When I was in High School these tests were mandatory like SAT's as well as Psych tests. I have come across some people who told me...actually made SURE they told me...they worked on this IQ test or that test. I wouldn't trust them to get my Suits to the Cleaners. Being Analitical is not the end all to end all...your Creative side is just as important and as far as certain other things....even though I scored 174....I can't spell worth beans and can never find my Sunglasses or Keys! LOL!

Acadamia...is a bunch of little kids who went from 1st to Senior Year...then went back to school in a University or College...then went back to school again as a teacher or Prof. They have never left the comfort of the class room. Get them in a Real World Situation and all that IQ and 50 cents won't buy you a cup of coffee.
Split Infinity

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776
reply to post by skuly

There has been a massive influx of people from third-world countries into GB over the years, mostly due to the constant strife in the Middle East and Africa. I wonder if the decrease in IQ is proportional to the average intelligence quotient of refugees from uneducated countries mixing with the "developed" world...

Edit to add: Don't take this comment as "hate speech". I was only bringing forth the supposition that
there could be a correlation between a lowering average intelligence rating when you mix in
a bunch of people who don't have the same levels of education as you are used to.

That being said, you may also want to fix the massive amounts of grammatical and spelling errors in your OP if you want people to take you seriously about a discussion of other people's level of intelligence.
edit on 13-4-2012 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

Most of the people iv meet from eastern europe and beyond are usually very polite and come
across as well educated so may be it is a lack of empathy or as SplitInfinity pointed out Social
Intelligence which some men under 30 in the uk do seem to be missing.

But despite of my poor grammar and spelling iv still yet to go up to a stranger working in a shop
and call them every name under the sun and pee on the floor like a 3 year old child.
edit on 14/4/2012 by skuly because: mi spelin

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by skuly
Over the last 25 years our schools have failed to teach anything other than to pass a
exam and responsibility is a dirty word as nobody wants to be responsible for anything
let alone the behavor of members of they own family.

I don't think schools are that bad. Within that 25 years, I did my time at school from 4-16 and I did quite well. It's all about the amount of effort the student is willing to put in as much as it is about the teachers and also about how much the parents are willing to put in as well. I make sure my older ones read every night (fiction and non), I have them practice creative writing and generally make an effort with education at home, not just relying on the school to do it.

I will say though that many youngsters these days are more concerned about being the next big pop star than actually putting in some effort at school just in case the music career doesn't pan out...

And, we have to accept it, but most people are idiots. Also, with a growing population and immigration it stands to reason that there will be a drop in averages.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
This is due to the fear factor that teachers can not disipline pupils anymore some of my teachers at school were terrifying you learnt from them just from that & being caned

No, it isn't. The only thing expressing this opinion does, is demonstrate your own lack of intelligence.

No matter what the problem with society, the fascist rednecks around here always attribute it to one of three things.

a} Race, as in, whites no longer completely dominating society.
b} Gender, as in, white males are no longer completely dominating society.
c} The fact that people no longer brutalise their children.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join