It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broadband question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I have just ordered broadband and am wondering how long i have to wait before i can get online with it.

I know i have to wait for BT to activate the line and they say within 10 days but i know a friend who said it takes a little less.

So for the members who have broadband could you let me know how long it took you to get online with it?

By the way i ordered Pipex but already have a adsl modem so i dont have to wait for their modem to arrive at my door.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Once they activate your account, and get you all setup with the hardware. It should be pretty fast. And with DSL and Cable your always connected to the internet, no need to hit some connect button to get on. Cuz you always are.

After the move 2 weeks ago we ordered Comcast High Speed Internet and besides the little network downtime on there part, it was up and running in under a day. It woulda been about an hour but stupid Comcast screwed up!

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
So you ordered broadband and was able to go online the day after?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Indeed...it woulda been an hour but Comcast had some downtime at the office.

Cable and DSL are much better than DialUp. Faster, more efficient, none of that #ing noise when you try to connect, and your always connected.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I ordered it yesterday off the internet so i should be able to use broadband today?

I have the modem already but i dont have any software from pipex so i dont know if i will be able to get online with it.

Also they said i will have to wait for BT to activate the line (they said it can take up to 10 days) but i take it they just say 10 days incase of any problems on their end right?

Hopefully their equipment will be at my house tomorrow or tuesday so il probably be able to get online as soon as it all comes.

I hate waiting im such an impatient person.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
ordered it tues 14th. bt upgraded the line on fri. got modem from aol on tues21st.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Cheers fred,

That could mean BT activates my line on wednesday and should get all the hard/software through by maybe friday.

I should be able to get online stright after BT activates line cause i already got a broadband modem but i wont have pipex's software so would i be able to configure it without the software?

They said they will send me my username and password by email once BT have confirmed everything so would i need to know any ip addresses or dns servers for pipex or does the modem only connect to pipex anyway?

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I use Optimum Online through my cable company (Cablevision). They day they came to install the service, I was literally online with cable within minutes after the modem was setup. My speed is constantly between 9,000kbps and 10,000kbps.

Optimum Online is the fastest High-Speed Internet Service in my area. I live in the lower Hudson Valley in New York.

Visit www.optimumonline.com... for more info.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

EDIT: I just checked my speed.. it's 9,379kbps... but of course this changes every second. I just wanted to throw out a number,... now its 9,400. Man, I LOVE SPEED. (Not the drug...
)

[Edited on 27-9-04 by prophetmike]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I would like to clear something up here... Broadband is ADSL - *not* DSL. Ok, so they are pretty much the same sort of thing though.

As for the set up, it can take a few days for BT to activate your line. And also, unless you have a dedicated network router, your Broadband internet access will not be up all the time. You will still have to click "connect" when your' computer is booted up everytime.

It really depends on your set up. On my small home network (with BT Broadband) I have a dedicated router & firewall (also where the ADSL modem is attached too), and a few swtiches. With this sort of set up, the router holds the ADSL connection 24/7 - so the whole network (whether client PCs are on or not) is on Internet 24/7 - like a normal Cable connection.

If you only have 1 computer, you will likely have a USB ADSL modem, and will have to use it like a dial-up modem, e.g. Click to connect everytime your computer is booted up. Obviously though, when you are connected - you are connected the whole time, until the modem cuts off obviously (in a single PC case, when the PC shuts down usually)

Back to the timing, I expect once you read this, you will already have it set up, lol. But, it all depends on BT really activated your line. Once your line is activated, it's pretty much ready then - depending on the ISP.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Mike were do u test ur speed at?

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver

if you want a connection speed tester try this site

us.mcafee.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJDOHBOY

Originally posted by Quicksilver

if you want a connection speed tester try this site

us.mcafee.com...

DJDOH, I tried your site, but it said (NaN) for my speed and such... and I have no clue why. If you'd like to try and measure your speed, I use my ISP's Speed Check... you can see if it works for you at speedcheck2.optonline.net...

(Java is required to run the test)

MY SPEED AS OF THIS WRITING IS 9,264kbps.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[Edited on 29-9-04 by prophetmike]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I have Highspeed cable and I tried the website and I got 1.6 Mbps. Is that fast or slow? I have seriously no Idea in these stuff, I just use the internet to surf and play CS and UT. How fast do you guys download? When I am lucky I get 360 kb/s is that pretty good? Thanks guys

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by COWlan
I have Highspeed cable and I tried the website and I got 1.6 Mbps. Is that fast or slow? I have seriously no Idea in these stuff, I just use the internet to surf and play CS and UT. How fast do you guys download? When I am lucky I get 360 kb/s is that pretty good? Thanks guys

That is pretty good speed, COW. It's a bit faster than me... and thats pretty darn fast. What's yer ISP? I'd like to have yor speed...

You're surfing at fast speeds my friend. PERFECT for CS, UT, Doom3 and the like... I get 350-400kbps in a lot of downloads... so I guess we're real close in speeds.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Great to see your getting Broadband.
I think it's quoted as 10 days or so here in Australia too, but mine
was ready in 4 days, which was fairly awsome I thought.
Have fun with your new broadband.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Wow I never knew my internet was good because I used one that downloaded at around 600 KB/s but that was business internet. If ur wondering what company I use, I live in Canada so Bell Sympatico is what I use. Its a Canadian company.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Wow thanks for your replies!

Everything arrived on friday but i went away for the weekend to see my other half in north wales (beautiful place)

So i only just got online with it today and im very impressed!

Its not as fast as some of you guys have at the moment my downloads are 50-60 kb/s so its about 10-15 times faster than my other dial-up connection which is absolutley brilliant!

One problem with broadband though!... im going to have to invest in a nice big hard-drive as im downloading so much stuff im not going to have any free space left soon!

But i love these new speeds and fast loading times for viewing websites

top topics

join