It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

future of the Iraq airforce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
We have heard much about the new Iraqi army but what about the air force. In the short - medium term I see the Iraqi air force role as.
Intelligents gathering.
Supply and logistics .

Assuming Iraq becomes a democracy the countrie will need airpower to defend itself. No doubt the american tax payer will pay for the construction of air bases and other facilities.

How will they train recuits & officers ?
Where will they train the recuits & officers?
Will they need a bomber force? (say B52 or stealth bombers.)
Where will they buy the aircraft and hardware from?

Iraq has a small coastline but oil tankers have proven to be vulnerable which leads to the question.
What maritime capabilities should the Iraqi airforce have?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Great questions ... I hope someone knowledgable in this area can give us their opinions. I didn't think about this until you brought it up.

I'm assuming that coalition forces will help train. Though I have a feeling that the bulk of the cost will fall on the U.S. Maybe we'll just change the 'oil for food' program into the 'oil for B'52's' program.

Jemison

RAB

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   
They decided not to rebuild the IRAQ airforce ever!

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Apart from some mig`s the Iraqi airforce pretty much useless.During the first gulf war there was evidance of pilots flying to Iran rather than face coalition forces.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
Apart from some mig`s the Iraqi airforce pretty much useless.During the first gulf war there was evidance of pilots flying to Iran rather than face coalition forces.

So the Iraq Airforce made a poor showing in both gulf wars.
How do the allies turn the Iraq Airforce into a respectable force?
Perhaps there could be a officer exchange program.
Iraqi officers could serve time in the USAF,RAF and the RAAF and allied officers could serve in the Iraq airforce as instructors.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I say an Iraqi airforce is a long way off yet.The cost of training and equiping them would be huge.Along with ground support and training could be a long time yet

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
So the Iraq Airforce made a poor showing in both gulf wars.
How do the allies turn the Iraq Airforce into a respectable force?
Perhaps there could be a officer exchange program.
Iraqi officers could serve time in the USAF,RAF and the RAAF and allied officers could serve in the Iraq airforce as instructors.

Not the whole story. The Iraq Air Force was quite sick in the Iran-Iraq War. But it eventually took a toll, thus the poor performance in the Persian Gulf War.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
I say an Iraqi airforce is a long way off yet.The cost of training and equiping them would be huge.Along with ground support and training could be a long time yet

When it comes to rebuilting couintries money dosnt seem to be an issue with the USA.
If the Iraqi PM flys around Iraq or the world wouldnt be better if the plane he used belonged to the Iraq air force?
If the new Iraq air force transportsed US troops around the countrie it would free up small numbers of troops that could be sent home. It would only be a very small step but it would help Iraq take care of its sercuity. After all miracles dont happen overnight .

top topics

join