It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Witch's Secret Letter. How Absurd Claims Have Made History.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

It says that the politicians weren't blamed but that the people looked to the supernatural...but that seems to me to indicate a very clever diversionary tactic employed by the Prince-Bishop...who was an individual force in this case rather than an institutional one.

Fascinating. Not in American history books, only the Salem trials. But really how different is this than the trials going on now with the worshipers of Gaia(earth goddess) claiming that mankind is destroying the earth and therefore must pay a global tax to fight climate change....

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thegagefather

His power and authority, yes...they were bestowed upon him but who knows whether it was political tradition or church authority...it being an episcopal town makes me think it was a combination of the two...

HOWEVER...the abuse of power is an individual choice...and while I realize the truth about power and corruption...there are far more examples of individuals doing their best to TRY to do their best in any given situation as a person of authority and command...I don't see it as legitimate to blame an institution for the issues of an individual under it's authority anymore than I think it is okay to blame all who come under an institution for that institution's crimes and mis-deeds.

By that, I mean that I no more blame Christians for the crimes against others done in the name of the Church behind Church authority than I blame whatever religious authority is connected to the incident in Bramberg for Dornheim's tyranny. Malignant motivations and deeds will always seek to hide behind something more benign...otherwise they can't operate and achieve their self-oriented goals...

The last paragraph makes it clear:

Many rich and powerful people of the area fell victim to the frenzy of accusations, and had their property and assets confiscated, which made Dornheim and his officers extremely rich. Anyone who questioned what was happening was also arrested and subjected to the same treatment. Finally, after complaints by several influential persons (although, in reality, largely due to the fact that business in the region was suffering), the Emperor Ferdinand was forced to issue mandates opposing the persecution in 1630 and 1631. Dornheim died in 1632, and the sorry episode drew to a close.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

so, seeing from your answers you understand my point about discernment and show your exclusion from it's use.
By design or by a simple lack of ability for it's use?
All your examples have been of satanic influence as posers to denigrate His name.
Does that really fly over your head without notice?
You cannot call a dog a cat and change it's appearnce by name alone.
If you describe a dog, it is a dog.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by manna2

yes yes its always an imposter isnt it
silly to think ignorance could in any way contribute or lead to these sick acts
"wasnt me it was my evil twin....honest and for true!"

these arguements didnt fly when you were a child and they dont fly now (unless of course you are willing to provide substantial evidence to your claims....which i would really like to see)

religion is a political tool
its used to manipulate the masses and has been for thousands of years
that said ive come full circle on the issue and know most religious texts to hold powerful truths and show a profound understanding of life.... though not when read in any literal sense
and the real crime has been the effort to misrepresent these writings in such a way they look bat # insane (by association of whatever followers they may have) and drive off anyone with half a brain that hasnt spent vast amounts of time trying to understand them (and who would based on how theyre represented by the masses ....most of whom only know what theyre told by their priest or the tv ......one would assume its all insanity with no base in reality)
edit on 14-4-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

This was born from superstition. Superstition is one of the things Paul warned against. This is what happens in any religion when you allow someone to tell you what to believe instead of finding it for yourself. So many people in the 1600's were so afraid of "the devil" that they forgot that Christ has more power than he does and he is forgiving and merciful.

The people that did the torturing of the innocent? They are paying for it with eternal death. The thing about God is he repays to you according to what you have done and Christ has already said murderers will have no place in his kingdom. No one that does those things can claim Christ nor shall he claim them. Thank God those days are beyond us in the West, but as for the middle east? Still going on everyday wherever Muhammad's name is revered.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The witch hunters today just wear black uniforms with badges.

The magic substances the witches deal in are plant extractions known as drugs.

The torturers are the jailers - who prefer to call themselves corrections officers or acronym C/O.

Torture is replaced by "treatment" where sensory deprivation is the name of the game. Take the clothes away for safety then put them underground in darkness and cold for days at a time. Take circulation away in the heat and let them sweat naked. 1500 Watt bright lights above their heads for days at a time day & night. Attempts to overcome such tactics labeled a safety violation or a institutional criminal offense for those who attempt to shade themselves from such light by erecting a curtain using a sheet, towel or clothing.

Terrorists are anyone who does not go with the program.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
These same beings that killed all those innocents and the same ones in the white house today killing all the innocents. Reincarnation is real, and some people are pure evil.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Yes, when the human race will document history objectively and honestly, only then will we be in a better position to avoid REPEATING history! I think what you said is true.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Anyone remember John Todd used to say that the witch trials were nothing but a way to kill christians under the "Witch" accusation? That it was really christian persecution.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
That's absolutely disgusting!
It astounds me how people could have ever been so ignorant and cruel. Honestly, I really am glad to have not lived in that time. Someone like me would've been a prime suspect for witchcraft.
Thanks for posting!

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
reply to post by Advantage

I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I felt the need to make it known that America was not the only place where these things happened. I'm not sure of exact statistics or anything, but it happened in Europe too. And it happens today also in Africa at least. I'm sure there must be other places historically and also today.

Yes sadly this still happens today in Africa.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This is a perfect example of how dangerous religion is. Those people were nutcases. One can't even imagine how much human history and technology that has been buried or erased by it. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TooManyTheories
That's absolutely disgusting!
It astounds me how people could have ever been so ignorant and cruel. Honestly, I really am glad to have not lived in that time. Someone like me would've been a prime suspect for witchcraft.
Thanks for posting!

If you consider that simply wearing 'male' clothing, or wearing your hair short was considered grounds for a woman being accused of witchcraft, I think many of us would have been victimised for simply being 'ourselves'. The charge on which Joan of Arc was found guilty and executed was because she had disguised herself as a male...even though the laws of the time stated that a woman was permitted to do so if her virtue was otherwise in danger. She was of course pardoned, but a tad too late.

Many women were burnt at the stake simply because they had to diguise themselves as men to carry out their professions. Midwives and health practioners in particular. Occupations which women were increasingly and vehemently excluded from in the middle ages even though, previously, they had been the natural and accepted domains of women. The exclusion of women from midwifery in particular had a devastating effect on the health and welfare of women and children for centuries following these witch-hunts, one that we are only recently starting to recover from.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
They turned me into a newt!

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

That's really interesting. I didn't know any of that. I know of some instances where women dressed as men but I didn't know it was illegal. And that whole thing about excluding women from midwifery seems so weird. It seems that they are naturally suited for it. Why were they forbidden from doing it in the Middle Ages?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan

That's really interesting. I didn't know any of that. I know of some instances where women dressed as men but I didn't know it was illegal. And that whole thing about excluding women from midwifery seems so weird. It seems that they are naturally suited for it. Why were they forbidden from doing it in the Middle Ages?

Mainly due to the rise of 'academic study' and it's accepted superiority. There were very, very few institutions at that time that allowed women to study to that level, and those that did, considered it scandalous, given the increasing perception of women as the 'fairer sex' and therefore more corruptible than men, that women should be allowed to observe the human body in all it's glory, male or female. Much of the teaching was done using dissections at that time, and since men were not allowed to look at naked women, under church laws, those cadavers were exclusively male.

With the rise of 'towns', governed by councils, only those recognised, or licenced to practice medicine could do so, or even gain access to the town at all, and then they were lodged in seperate districts and restricted by curfews. Anyone breaking those curfews or restrictions would be subject to being brought before the council to account for their actions. Hence why so many women practioners, called upon by the women-folk to help them deliver or for other 'women's ailments' were condemned as witches. The middle ages though were generally not a good time to be a woman, even the slightest voicing of an opinion could lead to an accusation of witchcraft. Increasingly another hinderance to the craft of midwifery was that fear and superstition prevented girls from becoming apprentices, and the practioners had no-one therefore, to pass their skills on to. Many traditional midwives continued to practice in rural communities and their victimisation can be seen in tandem with the later witch-hunts, but with increasing regulation, it became harder and harder for them to practice anyway, and education, much of it organised by religious orders and led from the bible, increased superstitious beliefs associated with their practices, even in close rural communities. And according to some of the recent studies, may of the women accused were identified by other women, those who were barren, or had not had a successful pregnancy...so like in the Salem Witch Trials, there was also elements of general malignancy and nastiness involved by those who felt less blessed than others and felt the need for blame. Church and town laws empowered them to do so.

What was particularly perverse about the situation is that men were not allowed to visually examine women, so basically women were left without health care at all. Women were excluded from practicing medicine, and men were allowed to touch but not to look, if even that, and often had no frame of reference for women's reproductive systems anyway. Up until the 18th century, it was still being taught in teaching hospitals that the fetus was formed by a coagulation process in the womb of the mentrual flow...as bizarre as that may sound. And even in the Victorian era, pictures were issued showing the correct way in which a doctor should examine a pregnant woman so as not to look at her 'bits'...which basically entailed reaching up her skirt while pointedly looking the other way.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Well thank you for that wonderful explanation! Amazing too. Humans are weird.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink

though not when read in any literal sense
and the real crime has been the effort to misrepresent these writings in such a way they look bat # insane (by association of whatever followers they may have) and drive off anyone with half a brain that hasnt spent vast amounts of time trying to understand them (and who would based on how theyre represented by the masses ....most of whom only know what theyre told by their priest or the tv ......one would assume its all insanity with no base in reality)

Awesome. I starred you, but decided to quote you here as well.....
MISREPRESENTATION is the prob. And yeah, they drive off anyone with half a brain......
the priests are not the authorities.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ArnoldNonymous

They turned me into a newt!

But, it got better. Right?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It's 1:18 over here and I am not able to read the whole thread now, so I add this comment to find it back in My ATS tomorrow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join