It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Witch's Secret Letter. How Absurd Claims Have Made History.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
" The type of witchcraft talked about in the Bible would be Canaanite Religion. To those ignorant of History, the Canaanites believed in human sacrafice"

what is the source of this claim..?

Canaanite is tied to Phoenicia, from where the old testament was given birth. The Hebrew Alphabet is completely derived from Phoenician, which is the grandfather of western alphabet systems including roman. Phoenicia controlled trade on the sea's at this time, and it was through their trade system that fables and stories of floods and children being swallowed by whales and men taken up in chariots of fire by El were told to ancient Hebrew scribes who incorporated these stories into their books as well.
it was a Phoenician city called Byblos that these stories were further refined, and from where the word Bible is derived.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
Wow, we're really made no progress in all this time. Only instead of witches we have terrorists. That letter could have come from anyone at Guantanamo bay.

Wow, we're really made no progress in all this time. Only instead of witches we have suspected terrorists. That letter could have come from anyone at Guantanamo bay.

Corrected it for you.......

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I was under the illusion that this letter is not from America but rather Germany. Can someone verify where this occured?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by suntzewang

Canaanite is tied to Phoenicia, from where the old testament was given birth. The Hebrew Alphabet is completely derived from Phoenician, which is the grandfather of western alphabet systems including roman. Phoenicia controlled trade on the sea's at this time, and it was through their trade system that fables and stories of floods and children being swallowed by whales and men taken up in chariots of fire by El were told to ancient Hebrew scribes who incorporated these stories into their books as well.
it was a Phoenician city called Byblos that these stories were further refined, and from where the word Bible is derived.

What are the sources of those claims ?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Originally posted by Advantage
Thanks for posting that. Id never knew it existed. Such a horrible period in our history.. Americans torturing and murdering Americans in the name of religion.

Your sheer level of hatred has clouded your already ill equiped[sic] mind. If you took the time to read the article, it would become self evident* that the witch-hunt took place in Germany.

The only comment I see approaching hateful between the two comments, is yours. Though the OP might be about a German incident, it happened in the US as well.

And to the Christian haters I say this: Witch Hunting has it's origins in Pagan Rome(where witches where burned at the stake). The type of witchcraft talked about in the Bible would be Canaanite Religion. To those ignorant of History, the Canaanites believed in human sacrafice[sic](hence why God told the Israelite's[sic] to slaughter them all, but the Israelite's[sic] did spare the Canaanites; within 20 years the Canaanites began human sacrificing again.+ The Death Penalty was public stoning and it required witnesses, not a confession like the RomanPagan[sic] method of witch-hunting).

Trying to make excuses, or pass the buck, does not change the fact that it was people claiming to be Christian, but not acting in a Christian manner, the perpetrated these crimes. That is history, stating such is not hateful, trying to pass the buck, make excuses, or deny it happened is ignorance.

Also, Witch-Hunting has more in common with Domestic Violence in America then it does with religious intolerance. As most of the people who accused others of witch-craft(women), did so for revenge(similar to the cases of women in Nazi occupied Europe using the SS to get rid of people they didn't like via false testimony).

As such a majority of the victims where other women, but a quarter or so of the victims were men.

This fact still does not justify, or excuse what happened, or change where it happened

This is why I associate more with right wingers, because you lefties are intellectual light weights who just preform constant circle jerks, instead of actually READING BOOKS! You know they have in libraries, heck even some malls sell them, and you can even download them onto computers and these fancy new devices called Tablet computers.

You do realize that the reason you believe this is because you probably don't know any better right?

Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives?

Nevertheless, liberals are on to something when they question the IQ not of the conservative politicians themselves, but of some of the voters they represent. A certain bloc of the conservative electorate may very well be less intelligent than its liberal counterpart. Lazar Stankov, a visiting professor at Singapore’s National Institute of Education, published “Conservatism and Cognitive Ability” earlier this year in the peer-reviewed journal Intelligence. Here is a quote from the article’s abstract:

Conservatism and cognitive ability are negatively correlated … At the individual level of analysis, conservatism scores correlate negatively with SAT, vocabulary, and analogy test scores. At the national level of analysis, conservatism scores correlate negatively with measures of education … and performance on mathematics and reading assessments.

Provocative, yes. But two important caveats are needed. First, by “conservatism” Stankov does not necessarily mean people who favor free market economics. He has in mind a kind of traditionalism probably best described as social conservatism:

The Conservative syndrome describes a person who attaches particular importance to the respect of tradition, humility, devoutness and moderation; as well as to obedience, self-discipline and politeness, social order, family, and national security; and has a sense of belonging to and a pride in a group with which he or she identifies. A Conservative person also subscribes to conventional religious beliefs and accepts the mystical, including paranormal, experiences.

Study: Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives?

Most radical "Christians" tend to be far right, mainly because of their belief structure, and dare I say, level of intelligence. This does not mean all people that have a far right political stripe are radical "Christians" or all radical "Christians" are far right, but many are.

*It may not be self evident to lesser minds
edit on 14-4-2012 by korathin because: (no reason given)

IT is self evident that he was probably referring to it happening in the US as well, rather than he assumed this story was about the US.
edit on 4/14/2012 by RyanFromCan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

You trust that translation?

He wanted a PRIEST? The Vatican and Jesuits were the perps!

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Thanks for posting that. Id never knew it existed. Such a horrible period in our history.. Americans torturing and murdering Americans in the name of religion.

25 or 50 years from now, people will look back and say the same about us. It's all about one group trying to feel superior to another, when all the while They are the monsters.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I read somewhere, in days gone by, people were so ignorant, so utterly superstitious, insecure of their own mortality and death-fearing, that they actually thought (wait for it)... that there was a magical, all-powerful man in the sky that loved you with all his heart... BUT, if you stepped one foot wrong, HE'D BURN YOU AT THE STAKE FOR ETERNITY!!

People sure were crazy back them...

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It is pretty sad how people can do this in the name of religion. In America at the time of the witch hunts, Calvinism was dominate religion.John Calvin and Martin Luther were brutal religious leaders..The funny thing is I have had a few chats with Calvinist and a couple have said those witch hunts were just in the movies.I have seen this pattern in most religions they deny their history and the new followers are never taught the history.In the mid 1800's is when they stopped and that is not too long ago.In Africa sadly it still goes on.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

That thing about the statue is horrible!
And it's not a 'new' idea. Back in the middle ages, the churches had all sorts of 'fake' relics and 'contrived' miracles...
like, a statue that was bolted to the floor with a wing nut (a great big one)...The congregation was invited to come and try to lift the statue off the floor...
saying that 'he who is holy (or forgiven or whatever) will be able to lift the statue off the floor, and none other'

The communicants one by one would try to lift it. Nope, (being as how it was still bolted to the floor)...but when the right guy came up, a monk beneath the floor (in the catacombs or whatever), simply loosened the wing nut, so that guy could lift it off the floor.

History is FULL of these stories.
Read Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth for more info....
a fun read, historical fiction, but describes LOTS of these "shams".
Yes, they are shams.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Star and Flag! Thank you for posting.

It angers me to no end how badly the church treated these people.

Even today you find churches, especially those "born again" that blindly accuse and spew crap about the pagan religions, without really knowing. They are blind and run with what they are told, rather than INVESTIGATE or RESEARCH a subject.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

You realize that America still tortures innocent people until the point that they admit to something that isn't true right? not saying the rest of the world doesn't i'm just sick of people claiming America to be the pinnacle of modern society. most of its population are below the poverty line, they have a high number of innocent people on death row, they believe themselves to be the police of the world and demand that people follow their rules, they are probably one of the worst nations on the planet.

and yes i am British and am aware of the damage in history that my country has done and is still doing but america at least most of its television presenters seems to believe that the country is the greatest. i mean America even changed the name of their prisoners of war to Enemy Combatants so they can torture them and keep them in their Guantanamo Bay without breaking the POW acts.

Again i know what people might say, that theres worst countries out there Syria etc but just pointing out a fact.

(When i say America, i dont mean all Americans, those who are willing to accept the truth is different. i am talking about people who are so fix minded that they believe themselves to be right.)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I'm not sure if you are referring to this letter, but if you are, I don't think that the incident recounted here happened in America.

Either way, a tragic time in any history regardless of where it happens. I will say that in my opinion our puritanical beginnings made witch-hunting hysteria almost a certainty at some point. I'm surprised it wasn't worse frankly.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Just another reason to stop teaching kids in public school how to cursive write.......

Just so future generations can never read the real history that has taken place....

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
I guess after seeing the stats for innocent people on death row..its safe to say
not much has changed

Except now they are not tortured, they are given a hot meal and a warm bath, books to read, tvs to watch. I guess even the death chamber is more humane. Plus now they have to give their undying love to the secular system. However, behind the secular system is the real Magic....the Satanic Rothschilds cabal of secret society ritualists.

Muahahahaha

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by djv1985
reply to post by Advantage

i'm just sick of people claiming America to be the pinnacle of modern society.

Advantage never said or even alluded to any such a thing... Anywhere. I think that your ax-to-grind is affecting your judgment and reading comprehension. Go grind it where you won't be so off-topic. There are plenty of America The Evil threads here, and entire forums on the topic elsewhere. I'm sure you will be much more satisfied getting your self-righteous jollies in one of those places.

If you wish to yell at me about it (I'm American, I'm sure it will make you feel better.) pm me, or start your own thread maybe. I will not derail the thread any further by contributing anymore to your tirade here. I did however, think it was worth a brief public mention in the context within which you "contributed" it.

edit on 14-4-2012 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by djv1985

I do have some English ancestry, but don't exlude your lovely Tony Blair as a Bilderberg attendee, and all those CCTV cameras, the ones in the parks that laugh at people to humiliate them into not littering.... and those nanny cams that watch to see if parents are feeding their kids broccoli or chocolate.....no obesity will be allowed in the UK.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
My great-great-great- (not sure how many greats - 10 I think) - grandmother ... Mary Barnes

Mary Barnes of Hartford CT - Witchcraft

On the 6th of January, 1662-3, Mary Barnes, of Farmington, was indicted for witchcraft and found guilty by the jury. It is quite likely that she was put to death; but we know nothing of her evil deeds, nor is her name mentioned in any of the depositions of evidence which have come to our hands.

Short story on Mary Barnes

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Sounds like horrors from the Inquisition era where people who believed in reincarnation were condemned. Today people who believe in any religion are condemned to ridicule by secular humanists. Perhaps it's all the same evil angels reincarnating to condemn the children of the Light, they just changed their modus operandi.

Edit; Inquistion was earlier than the classic witch hunts of the Salem Witch Trials but the effect is the same, anyone with a different belief system was considered heretic.
Even earlier, the Emperor of Rome had Origen anathematized over his belief in the pre-existence of the soul.

edit on 14-4-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

And to the Christian haters I say this: Witch Hunting has it's origins in Pagan Rome(where witches where burned at the stake). The type of witchcraft talked about in the Bible would be Canaanite Religion.

To those ignorant of History, the Canaanites believed in human sacrafice(hence why God told the Israelite's to slaughter them all, but the Israelite's did spare the Canaanites; within 20 years the Canaanites began human sacrificing again.

So, God appeared to believe in human 'sacrafice' as well?

Please describe how the God of love and compassion fits into this picture?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join