It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Creating Massive Edible Forest Filled with Free Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This is a beautiful idea and movement.

Just had to share, gave me another glimpse of hope for humanity.

This really is an awesome idea in my opinion and i applaud the people who came up with this and are making this a reality.

Taking the urban garden to the next level, Seattle, Washington has officially broken ground on a dedicated seven acre area of city land set to be converted into an “edible forest” that will produce free food for the city’s residents and visitors, human or otherwise.

Isn't this great news for the homeless and people that have to live paycheck to paycheck.

Awesome

According to the Beacon Food Forest’s website, the project’s mission is “to design, plant and grow an edible urban forest garden that inspires our community to gather together, grow our own food and rehabilitate our local ecosystem.” The perennial permaculture forest project, believed to be the first of its kind in the U.S., will eventually be self-sustaining, much like the way a forest in nature works. Creating the self-sustaining environment is reliant upon the types of soil, insect life and companion plants placed strategically within the environment.

I do hope the don't start growing GMO foods but keep it all naturel

Seattle’s Beacon Food Forest, located in the Beacon Hill neighborhood, will provide an array of edible fruit-bearing plants including apple, pear, persimmon, chestnut and walnut trees; and edible berries such as blueberry, lingonberry and raspberry.

The project, which is already underway, is set to take several years to fully develop the seven acre plot just 2.5 miles from downtown Seattle. After aggressive outreach efforts by the Friends of the Food Forest community group to secure the plan were successful, the innovative planting initiative is underway securing permits to create the nation’s first “food forest.”

wow

source

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
That is a really awesome idea!

I hope it works out well.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I don't live there anymore but, I would highly recommend visiting Seattle if you ever get the chance, it is a beautifully city with good people (mostly). Loved living there.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

what came to my mind: the ideas like this are promoted, because the cities and regions compete for intelligent and highly productive immigrants.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I hope there are plans in place for dealing with market owners and restaurant owners or just crazy people from swarming in and picking things clean.

Foraging is self regulating because very few people want to do the work.

A nice cultivated orchard though is quite different and any slob around could strip the trees.

link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by kn0wh0w

what came to my mind: the ideas like this are promoted, because the cities and regions compete for intelligent and highly productive immigrants.

what does this have to do with immigrants?

wonder how you made that link?

it's about free food

link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Seven acres?

That doesn't seem very much....

But cool idea anyway.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I hope there are plans in place for dealing with market owners and restaurant owners or just crazy people from swarming in and picking things clean.

Foraging is self regulating because very few people want to do the work.

A nice cultivated orchard though is quite different and any slob around could strip the trees.

Big Brother will probably put up cameras there.

And it's not like restaurant owners or market owners are going out of bussines.

I'd like to think people that would do these things will get whats coming to them, one way or the other.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Seven acres?

That doesn't seem very much....

But cool idea anyway.

that's what the article said

it's a start though.

i wish i would have seven acres of land

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

i don't think it is about free food, because free food would mean, less people buying fruits in local shops. so the farmers and shop owners would sell less and pay less taxes. not intelligent for a city. but to increase the attractivity of a city, it would be a good idea.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Well there are people who claim to have produced a million pounds of food on 3 acres. Although I don't really believe this kind of project sets up to make that much food, it's still very viable depending on the planning.

I Think it's a great idea. It will certainly help the less fortunate, especially the homeless in the area, ( I'm not sure how much of a problem Seattle has with that) and encourage a more community feel to it.

It'll be a great thing until they put up a fence around it and start charging membership or some nonsense like that.

Hopefully that won't happen.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

This is great. We should send a guy down there to pick and collect all the food then sell it to the visitors and then take the rest for later incase you go hungry.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Sounds like blankets infected with smallpox to me I wouldnt touch it with a pole. Nice thought though

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by loam

Well there are people who claim to have produced a million pounds of food on 3 acres. Although I don't really believe this kind of project sets up to make that much food, it's still very viable depending on the planning.

I Think it's a great idea. It will certainly help the less fortunate, especially the homeless in the area, ( I'm not sure how much of a problem Seattle has with that) and encourage a more community feel to it.

It'll be a great thing until they put up a fence around it and start charging membership or some nonsense like that.

Hopefully that won't happen.

~Tenth

Until someone starts sticking dirty syringes into the fruit then the rumours of such an act would make this trend a dead end.
edit on 13-4-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by loam

I Think it's a great idea. It will certainly help the less fortunate, especially the homeless in the area, ( I'm not sure how much of a problem Seattle has with that) and encourage a more community feel to it

True, i searched the vid.

But you're absolutely right.

that would be about 2.3 million pounds of food and lot of fish etc.

1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It is a great idea however, the question that comes to mind is. What seeds are they using? is it Monsanto's? or Mother gaia? If it's Monsanto, they will be doing much more harm than good.

If it's Gaia, Kudo's! this is certainly great news for the people in seatle. But still the question remains on what seeds will they be using.

new topics

top topics

join