It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States inhumane act of punishment toward NORTH KOREAN PEOPLE.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

the same right as the american people collecting welfare whom are using the system so y not the whole world just all apart into firey flames

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissCoyote

the same right as the american people collecting welfare whom are using the system so y not the whole world just all apart into firey flames

You cannot equate a 80 year old program to help the needy in America to the testing of rockets and nuclear devices.

N Korea has been a bully in that area since the 50s. They have attacked South Korean warships, shelled Yeonpyeong Island, blew up airliners, kidnapped people, AND have gone through with numerous nuclear tests and missile launches, all at the shigrin of the rest of the world.

But lets reward them for behaving badly.

Again, let China feed them. They seem to encourage the behaviour.

edit on 13-4-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I am not looking at it as behaving badly is the thing I am looking at it as them just trying to keep up with the jones. but obviously there is real credible fear for them having a "rocket" "missile" or whatever they want to call it these days.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I am not looking at it as behaving badly is the thing I am looking at it as them just trying to keep up with the jones. but obviously there is real credible fear for them having a "rocket" "missile" or whatever they want to call it these days.

North Korea has active nuclear and ballistic missile weapons programs and has been subject to United Nations Security Council resolutions 1695 of July 2006, 1718 of October 2006, and 1874 of June 2009, for carrying out both missile and nuclear tests. North Korea probably has fissile material for up to nine nuclear weapons, and has the capability to deploy nuclear warheads on intermediate-range ballistic missiles.

I would say any tyrannical maniac with nuclear capabilities should be taken seriously, if not for us, then the other innocent countries that may surround North Korea.

North Korea sends SOS to world to feed its starving people

The US stopped food aid to the country two years ago after continuing friction over Pyongyang's stance on atomic weaponry and South Korea has drastically reduced its contributions following a series of clashes including the capsizing of a warship last year. In the latest incident, North Korean forces shelled a South Korean island, Yeonpyeong, in November. Military talks aimed at defusing tensions between the two countries have broken down with no date set for any further meetings.

That is an article from February 2011.

February of this year there was an agreement between the White House and North Korea to send 240,000 tonnes of food aid AS LONG AS North Korea would halt its nuclear and missile testing programs.

They agreement was made. And subsequently broken.

So how is it that last year they call out to anyone who would listen about the ongoing famine, then reach a preliminary agreement with the US for a food aid program, then in a blink of an eye retract from the agreement?

Now they will attempt to make up for another failed rocket launch and will certainly attempt another nuclear test.

And their people will still go hungry.

The United States cannot be held accountable for their actions, nor can they applaud it and award them for it.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MissCoyote

I am not looking at it as behaving badly is the thing I am looking at it as them just trying to keep up with the jones.

Why does everybody seem to think that everyone should be on a level playing field as per fighting wars/conflicts?
If you don't have enough money to FEED YOUR OWN PEOPLE, why should you have rockets and nukes?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I give up okay

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

im not saying its our fault. im saying we have enough problems on our own soil who the h311 are we to judge and say who is allowed to do what when we have starving people who are out of jobs and can't afford the gas to even go to work....so why stick our big nose into others business

You mean like the business of starving? I agree. We shouldn't stick our nose into other people's business when they are trying to starve themselves, forcing our dastardly food aid on them and interfering with their emaciation. The proper thing to do is mind our own business and let them die of hunger. We should only interfere when they interfere with other people's business, like launching provocative missiles outside their own airspace. Then we should blow those missiles out of the sky as a reminder that other people should mind their own business, too, and get on with wasting away.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

So lets keep allowing them to test missiles and nukes without any repercussions until the moment where they finally get it right and bomb South Korea or Japan. Is that what you would rather have?

They have China as close allies. Why don't we let them feed them. Why should America be responsible for feeding their bellies anyway???????

They have as much right to test nuclear missiles as any other nation. Let us not forget the only country to use a nuclear device on a civilian population is the US..

Maybe if the US removed imposed sanctions they would be able to feed themselves....

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I give up okay

Do you now understand that what the US is doing is not inhumane?

We were all for helping them. We probably still want to help them, but how long can you be disrespected by the people that have absolutely nothing going right for them?

At least we aren't dropping bombs on them this morning.
edit on 13-4-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

What right does North Korea have to take money given to them by the US/UN/UNESCO for FOOD and put it towards their failure of a rocket program???

LOL that is like taking with one hand and giving with the other... They have as much right as any other nation to try and put satellites into space..

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

So lets keep allowing them to test missiles and nukes without any repercussions until the moment where they finally get it right and bomb South Korea or Japan. Is that what you would rather have?

They have China as close allies. Why don't we let them feed them. Why should America be responsible for feeding their bellies anyway???????

They have as much right to test nuclear missiles as any other nation. Let us not forget the only country to use a nuclear device on a civilian population is the US..

Maybe if the US removed imposed sanctions they would be able to feed themselves....

So after they sink South Korean warships and kill sailors they should just get off with a slap on the wrist?

Maybe if their leaders didn't act like lunatics they wouldn't have sanctions on them.

And if you have no money or food to feed you people, you automatically have no right to test nuclear weapons.

I will never understand the "give peace a chance" people who argue that any country that wants a nuke should have one.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

What right does North Korea have to take money given to them by the US/UN/UNESCO for FOOD and put it towards their failure of a rocket program???

LOL that is like taking with one hand and giving with the other... They have as much right as any other nation to try and put satellites into space..

I have heard that before. Bring something new to the argument instead of just saying "they have the right" to everything that they do.

Because the rest of the world obviously thinks otherwise.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Apparently you're not aware of the immense number of treaties restricting doing just that. No atmospheric nuclear tests have been carried out by the US since 1963 when the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty was signed. Here's a map of signatories to the PNTBT.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
no i dont understand and never will.......i can not be persuaded to think a way other than my own

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
What is inhumane is how the government of North Korea treats it's own people.

First some background on the agreement and the rocket or missile whatever one chooses to call it.

On February 29, 2012

North Korea agreed on Wednesday to stop nuclear tests, uranium enrichment and long-range missile launches, and to allow checks by nuclear inspectors, in an apparent policy shift that paves the way for resuming long-stalled disarmament talks.

The State Department said that in return, the United States was ready to go ahead with a proposed 240,000 metric-ton food aid package requested by North Korea and that more aid could be agreed to based on continued need.
Source Reuters.com

The unha-3 rocket has been likened to an ICBM, it is a long range rocket carrying a payload thus it being likened to an ICBM, and considered a violation of the February 29th agreement, prior to the launch North Korea was warned that such a launch would violate the agreement but went through with it anyway.

Going beyond simply the idea that the North Korean government would knowingly put severely needed nutritional aid for the starving people of it's country at risk by going through with the launch and the inhumanity on their behalf in doing so, it should be a fairly well known fact that designing earth orbiting satellites (what they claimed to be launching), building said satellites, designing a rocket to carry the satellite into space and deploy it into orbit along with further monitoring of data obtained from the satellite is a substantially costly venture, a venture best put on the back burner until the country is better able to build up it's internal stability which in turn will better provide for the needs of the people of the country.

Attempting to get an idea of what this failed launch cost the country (aside from the loss of the food aid package) I came across this rather eye-opening article

$815m spent on North Korea rocket could have fed millions

North Korea spent $US850 million ($815 million) on the launch of its failed rocket, enough to feed millions in the impoverished country. The cost, disclosed in restricted documents seen by London's The Daily Telegraph, could have bought 2.5 million tonnes of corn and 1.4 million tonnes of rice.

Further on the article states:

In Pyongyang, a complex of 3000 apartments for the regime's elite is undergoing a $US140 million makeover. An estimated $US50 million is being spent on a theme park, which will boast a dolphin show pool and new swimming pool.

While I can't verify the numbers listed in this article...I only found one article in my search dealing with dollar costs rather than the loss of food aid, the amount spent on the failed launch doesn't seem to be majorly out of range considering what such a launch would cost in the US.

While my heart goes out to the people of North Korea who will suffer as a result of the excesses of their government, my anger regarding the inhumanity of the situation is at the government of North Korea, who would place attempting to launch a satellite into orbit (or test a long range missile as some believe)...when all previous attempts have ended in failure higher in priority than the ability of a major portion of their population's ability to meet their nutritional needs.

The amount of money lost on the failed launch attempt could have provided the people of North Korea 3.9 MILLION ton of food, which far surpasses the 240,000 metric tons of food aid the US agreed to provide if North Korea honored their agreement.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

And if I did google it I would get a bunch of words on a bunch of paper by a bunch of people I dont know. I have never been there, never spoken to anyone in NK so how would I know what is truely happening there. We have no business there if the people dont like what they are going through (if they really are as bad off as your beautiful mainstream media claims) they would rebel and take the leaders down. You could isolate incidents in the US (which happens a lot on this site) and paint the country as a whole and the leaders as a whole to look like saints or psychos which ever you want. You see this everyday.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

And if I did google it I would get a bunch of words on a bunch of paper by a bunch of people I dont know. I have never been there, never spoken to anyone in NK so how would I know what is truely happening there. We have no business there if the people dont like what they are going through (if they really are as bad off as your beautiful mainstream media claims) they would rebel and take the leaders down. You could isolate incidents in the US (which happens a lot on this site) and paint the country as a whole and the leaders as a whole to look like saints or psychos which ever you want. You see this everyday.

How can they rebel when they are starving?

Kim Jong Il actually pleaded for the rest of the world to send him food. How much more proof do you need?

There is a link I posted earlier that states just that.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

How do you know this guy isnt just some two bit actor in hollywood? Im not saying your wrong by any means Im saying without first hand experience dont believe something just because you hear it on the news. For all we really know they could be filming south korean people and telling the world its north koreans starving to death.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

So after they sink South Korean warships and kill sailors they should just get off with a slap on the wrist
? Maybe if their leaders didn't act like lunatics they wouldn't have sanctions on them.

Are you for real....?

Who are you to judge there leader being a lunatic... I would say the democratically elected leaders of the US have shown far greater psychotic tendencies in recent years.... Maybe a million dead in the recent spate of wars... How many people have NK in the same time period.

And if you have no money or food to feed you people, you automatically have no right to test nuclear weapons.

This line is priceless....
There are lots of countries in the world at the moment that do not have the money to feed their own population.. The country with the greatest debt in the world atm is the US. So I guess in your book the US should not be testing new weaponry either..

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Because the rest of the world obviously thinks otherwise.

Do they...

I dont

Below is a link to a world map for you to study... You should note that the world consists of more countries than the USA..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join