It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glacier Formation Question along with weather question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Now I know this is WAY out of my realm of knowledge, but I am hoping someone on here can give a reasonable explanation for my question. I have been reading about this freak hail storm in Texas that the experts are saying will happen again in another region in the next few days.

Gigantic, Softball-sized hail to rain down on Midwest

With the strange weather, and by strange I mean a bit out of the norm since I have been living as far as seasons go, is it even a possibility that these hail storms are part of glacial formation should the temperatures in these regions become unstable and create a much colder environment on which they could build and become glacial areas?

I mainly ask because looking at the pictures from the storm, it almost looks like a glacial field and the story reports that it happened in 1993 in a nearby town as well and it took a month for it to melt.

“We had a situation in March of ‘93 near a town called Dalhart, 1.5 hour west of Amarillo,” Jackson said. “We had hail that accumulated up to six feet there. It was on the ground for about a month."

Now from what I have read on glacial formation it is simply the accumulation of multiple snow storms in an area where the temperature is cool enough that the snow does not melt but eventually becomes so packed it forms glacial ice.

Glacial Formation

Glaciers begin to form when snow remains in the same area year-round, where enough snow accumulates to transform into ice. Each year, new layers of snow bury and compress the previous layers. This compression forces the snow to re-crystallize, forming grains similar in size and shape to grains of sugar. Gradually the grains grow larger and the air pockets between the grains get smaller, causing the snow to slowly compact and increase in density. After about two winters, the snow turns into firn—an intermediate state between snow and glacier ice.

Again, I could be completely wrong about that, but the pictures I have been seeing remind me of glacial fields and the amount of accumulation is so large that it is almost unbelievable.

So say the temperature in the area dropped enough to keep this hail mountain around for a while and say more and more of these storms occur in the same area and the temps stay low enough they don't melt, would it be possible we are seeing a pre-cursor to a glacial formation? My guess is absolutely not simply because of the geographic location of this particular event, but suppose it happened in the northeast US where temps could remain cold enough. Would that be possible?

And please feel free to ridicule and poke holes based on knowledge on the subject as I have none...just going by reports and some pictures of what look very similar to glacial fields to me.

edit on 4/13/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
i think that's a really valid point. due to the location of recent freak hail i'm POSITIVE it won't build up but if it did happen in an area that doesn't get so warm in the summer.... i don't know!!!

oklahoma is getting baseball sized hail right now but i don't think its going to be like those pictures. and oklahoma is still not north enough for the hail to stick around.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
i think that's a really valid point. due to the location of recent freak hail i'm POSITIVE it won't build up but if it did happen in an area that doesn't get so warm in the summer.... i don't know!!!

oklahoma is getting baseball sized hail right now but i don't think its going to be like those pictures. and oklahoma is still not north enough for the hail to stick around.

That is exactly what I am wondering. I know the snow line for the area(s) and have seen pictures for different areas in the mid US region and if storms like this that bring oddly cool weather in the skies that produce these types of hail storms happened to continue, would they eventually create a new glacier region?

Again....not even close to being educated in this area of study, just a thought that ran through my head today after reading the story on strange hail storms and seeing a picture of someone shoulder deep in a field of hail in Texas in the last few days.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
i gave you a star and a flag because i think it's a really interesting question.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
i gave you a star and a flag because i think it's a really interesting question.

Thank you...much appreciated. I really do wonder if the earth cooled at certain snow lines and had constant hail
or snow this deep and never got warm enough to complete melt, would a glacier form and change the landscape of the region? Again... don't have any background in this, just asking questions...

join