It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient antibiotic-resistant bacteria found in isolated cave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I did a search on this and couldn't find anything so I thought I would bring it up.

"Bacteria that have never before come in contact with humans, their diseases or their antibiotics, but are nevertheless resistant to a variety of antibiotics, have been discovered in a U.S. cave."

Link

Okay I know this is from CBC but still. It is still an interesting find. This bacteria that would not have had any contact with us would be immune to some of our antibiotics...There is probably a good scientific reason behind all this but darn...what more could there be out there that we are yet to find in undiscovered caves al around the world? An infinity of possibilities IMO.

I hope this bacteria stays underground, how would we heal ourselves if we'd get infected by this

**I wasn't sure where to start this thread so if it's in the wrong spot. please feel free to relocate. thanks**

Teye22

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

Hmm I wonder if there is run off from cattle pasture seeping into those caves?

If so there may be anti-biotic resistant bacteria derived from human waste fertilisers sprayed onto the fields (maybe).

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Could be........Wouldn't that mean that they are immune to our sh**t!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
all jokes aside though that is a possibility...they would have to have been in some sort of contact to be immune wouldn't they?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Um.. no name, no genus.. not even a Gram stain... but they know its resistant to Antibiotics.. give me a break!

In order for it to be antibiotic resistant if there are any mushrooms that grow near it, or like someone said, water through the soil.

The only part im interested is the

The diversity of antibiotic resistance among the cave bacteria means there could even be undiscovered antibiotics among them

/unpissed off.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well there are sulfa drugs that are effective against resistant bacteria and also Manuka Honey and a type of honey from Chile that they use which works on resistant strains etc.

Not ordinary honey, but honey from bees that visit plants that have medicinal properties.
en.wikipedia.org...

The one from Chile is even more potent. Honey keeps forever so this type of honey is a must for the bug out bag.

Simply because before anti-biotics one of the leading causes of death, right up there with cancer, was Scarlet Fever.
And scarlet Fever comes from strep throat, and strep throat is common wherever there is children like in a school.
Some people are carriers of strep throat, so its always around and highly contagious and airborne.

And Manuka honey will cure strep throat. So its like an anti-biotic but its a topical anti-septic. But thats good enough to kill strep throat. But if you don't kill strep throat, it certainly can kill you by causing Scarlet Fever.

The only reason you don't hear about it these days is because anti-biotics cures almost all cases.

But ancient bacteria in a cave well there and in a vent at the bottom of the ocean, and in amber, and dug up in Antarctica, and even maybe from a glacier, and even in grains of salt they have found bacteria in suspended animation in a grain of salt.

Bacteria are everywhere and they outnumber us a gazillion to one.
Its a love hate relationship because we can't digest food without them.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
And when the SHTF we are supposed to bug out, possibly, into these same caves. Hmmm and we are just now finding out about this new strain of bacteria that lives underground and is resistant to our antibiotics?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
We don't even know if it will have an effect on humans to start with. It might be just like common staph or strep.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Or perhaps it will reside in our gut and aid in digestion, do people here realize 90% of the human body is made up of non human cells? You are literally a bacteria factory.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
We may not be immune to the bacteria, and anti-biotics may not kill it. BUT it may not be immune to many of the things outside the cave as well ;-P

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Looks like I'll be the first to say it... and this is how zombie apocolypse started, primordial bacteria that's resistent to all!

Maybe it'd have the reverse effect and give us all super powers...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Maybe, juuust maybe it is a good bacteria! Like something that fights off cancer.
They probably made it resistant !!
Can't Human Beings quit f@^%ing with around things

Teacher!! Leave those kids alone !

edit on 15-4-2012 by azureskys because: added a word

Maybe It is the Aliens and we are doing to It what we fear they are doing to us

edit on 15-4-2012 by azureskys because: added more

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by agentofchaos
Looks like I'll be the first to say it... and this is how zombie apocolypse started, primordial bacteria that's resistent to all!

Maybe it'd have the reverse effect and give us all super powers...

Quite the theory!!! Needed the laugh.

I guess we'll never know will we. If it turns out to be nothing, it will make headlines, and if it's a breakthrough, it 'll take forever for the news to be out if it does!!

new topics

top topics

join