It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please, Please, Please, Stop ramming ads down my throat..!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I am on the edge of a nervous breakdown, The entire world is tits up, and people wanna ram adverts down ya neck.
Everywhere you look, some pratt is advertising, phone call this morning, some twat wanting to know if i needed double glazing. Where do these people get ya phone number from...big tv ad last night, for BMW..no bugger round here can afford a push bike..
All i'm asking is Please, please..leave people alone...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Please do not tell members to violate ATS Terms & Conditions of Use

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.
edit on April 13th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Against ats terms, am I right?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I feel the same way, my ATS turns into some heavy.com website every time i leave it idle, i cant even listen to a youtube song without some dish soap ad coming up .. it is literally driving me crazy .. i think they want me to go nuts and start looking to drink some of Jonestown's Kool-aid

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by union_jack
I am on the edge of a nervous breakdown, The entire world is tits up, and people wanna ram adverts down ya neck.
Everywhere you look, some pratt is advertising, phone call this morning, some twat wanting to know if i needed double glazing. Where do these people get ya phone number from...big tv ad last night, for BMW..no bugger round here can afford a push bike..
All i'm asking is Please, please..leave people alone...

O.k well pay for the service. Internet and television companies let other companies advertise on their networks because in most cases, the web page or television program your watching doesnt charge you.

We have a Television network called BBC that charges you for a T.v license, you can not have a Tv in your house if you dont pay this license. Paying this lisence allows you to have Tv in your house, and view the BBC chanels, BBC1,2 and 3, which have no breaks for advertising/commercials - Paying them this, allows you not to have adverts in the breaks..which is proppa crap. Theres been loads of talk trying to get it axed but it seems that it will continue. the BBC could stop transmitting to any Tv, but they choose not to and force you to pay £11 a month for their services, which you have no choice of getting out of, I hate paying my T.v license as I dont even watch the BBC, tossers.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
You are absolutely right, i hate ads to...except some are just cool

I do get your point

edit on 13-4-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRottenTreats
I feel the same way, my ATS turns into some heavy.com website every time i leave it idle, i cant even listen to a youtube song without some dish soap ad coming up .. it is literally driving me crazy .. i think they want me to go nuts and start looking to drink some of Jonestown's Kool-aid

It would be nice if they removed that one.
I still haven't seen a mod even admit that it's an ad.
IT IS AN AD, and irritating when you're reading something, and it takes you bungee jumping suddenly......

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

yes, didn't see this coming. is it true, that i have to switch off my ad blocking software, when i enter ats ?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Remember the start of cable TV. You pay, no ads.

Now a person pays for TV service and get ads half the time plus many of the so called channels you get for your money are shopping and infomercials. There is nothing but the search for the almighty dollar.

Internet, ya it needs to get paid, but some of the ad stuff is way out there.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Saves me from starting a thread on this. I often wonder why advertising is treated as above everything. Adverts are allowed to creep into absolutely everything because 'they pay for it' so you don't have to is the myth.
Advertisers are allowed through the money argument to deface, creep into and splosh all over every bloomin' thing there is.
I had enough.
Why has advertising more rights than customers/ users/ readers?

Just remember advertisers are just snake oil sales men [SOSM], standing on a garish carriage trying to flog you whatever cr*p they want to get rid of.
The only difference is that the SOSM nowadays can use TV and other things to convince you but deep down they are just trying to sell their produce by telling you lies.
So why is selling like that held as if it is something really important and official?
It is not.
The only reason is money. But we allow it by rationalising that we pay less if we put up with adverts.
Well I rubbish, because if nobody would be allowed to have adverts apart from maybe dedicated advert magazines or dedicated TV channels/ websites, the advertisers would still have to pay to get in and the money can then still go to towards whatever you like, with the difference that we showed advertisers that we have the upper hand and their snake oil sales pitch is really just a sham and not important at all. We have to stop giving them all the rights.

Websites could say "ok you can advertise but only on our dedicated advert page and not all over the place". How about taking the control back?

Oh and to all advertisers, I switch off as soon as adverts come on, turn pages and have adblock for the internet. I hate you so much!

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by Snoopy1978

yes, didn't see this coming. is it true, that i have to switch off my ad blocking software, when i enter ats ?

That's what I've read somewhere.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I do agree with this rant. It's not just the ads themselves, but the repetition, too. Whether on the internet, radio or television, the same ads pop up over and over again. I don't know how many times I've excited to see an upcoming movie at first, but then got sick of seeing their trailer and decided not to bother.

Also, what's really the point? Surely they don't expect me to go switch my car insurance because I've seen a talking lizard or a woman with too much make-up on tell me to, do they? Or that I'm going to buy a brand of shampoo because there are pretty naked women in the ad? I mean, I usually try to be nice, but come on... that's just stupid.

Come to think of it, other than movie trailers, I honestly can't think of a single time when a commercial or ad has convinced me to buy a product. Maybe I'm an exception to the rule?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

Can not agree with you more.

When I read this post, I could not help but feel compelled to tell of how and why I left "one of those ISPs" several years ago.

I had been with this ISP for several years and noticed more and more "pop-ups" as time went by.
They offered, and I down loaded, a new version of their software with a built-in pop-up blocker.

I had no sooner down loaded this new version than I noticed no more outside pop-ups just their's. As I only had dial up service, it took several seconds to begin with, to get on line. Then it began to take lnoger and longer as more of their pop ups would come up before I could go to "anywhere".

I called them up and said I was leaving them because of this; I could not see paying them too look at their ads.

Next month I got a billing on my credit card. They had not stopped my account. As I had not used it, I called them again. and again I explained I was leaving. The woman told me "No one leaves _ _ _."

After which I kind of went-off. I suggested she re-read the service agreement and she assured me she knew what it said.

At this I ask her how her company would treat someone who sent "naughty" pictures to the little girls on the members list and sent "very suggestive" e mails to old ladies on the members list? I assured her, I would be willing to trade a little jail time for being removed from their service and that I wanted my money back for the last billing.

She then suggested I needed to speak to a supervisor. I told him the same things, and he suddenly assure me that my service would be cancelled as we spoke and I would be getting a check in a few days.

I did recieve a check and my credit card showed a re-embursement for the same month.

Ever sinse I have not bothered to use a pop-up blacker. I have just gotten very good at ignoring the parts of a page I don't want to see.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

edit on April 16th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Can't help but wonder what you said befor you deleted you reply to this post.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by thepixelgarden

No, your not an exception to the rule, I'm totally with you on this one.
Lots of people i've spoken to find them annoying or find themselves humming jingles throughout the day and even though they are aware of conditioning techniques through repetition and music and subliminal messaging, they still seem to think that the concept of those techniques being used on consumers is exaggeration or paranoia.
If it does'nt work why do they spend so much on an advertising campaign?
I think that when you know the extent to which the general public are constantly manipulated, advertisements in general loose their grip on you.
Have to agree with someone above that advertisers shoot themselves in the foot when their bombardment of a film trailer for example is so hyped and intrusive that it has the reverse effect and you won't go and see it on principle. Same with certain Insurers, fast food restaurants, supermarkets etc, their ads are so annoying I won't go near them.
When the telly/radios on always mute /fastforward the ads....
Thanks for the rant, feel better now.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by daydoesez
Have to agree with someone above that advertisers shoot themselves in the foot when their bombardment of a film trailer for example is so hyped and intrusive that it has the reverse effect and you won't go and see it on principle. Same with certain Insurers, fast food restaurants, supermarkets etc, their ads are so annoying I won't go near them.

Yeah, that was me posting about the movie trailers. It first happened with Alvin & The Chipmunks 2. I thought the first one was cute, and wanted to take me 11-year old to see the sequel. But by the time it actually came out, we were all so sick of the trailers that nobody wanted to go see it. Now we change the channel or mute it whenever ANYTHING chipmunk-related comes up.

Lots of people i've spoken to find them annoying or find themselves humming jingles throughout the day and even though they are aware of conditioning techniques through repetition and music and subliminal messaging, they still seem to think that the concept of those techniques being used on consumers is exaggeration or paranoia.

It's strange, you wouldn't think that social conditioning would be the point of ads, because how does that translate to sales? But it's true, even I get jingles stuck in my head. Half the time I don't even remember what commercial they are from though. I just want to write a letter to Geico and say: if the point of being bombarded by your ads was to get me to squeal out the window like one of the three little pigs in that commercial, in order to make my family laugh, then congrats. Mission accomplished. Howwever, if you wanted me to actually purchase your car insurance because we all know that commercial, sorry. Not happening.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It was happening 50 years ago as well. People bought homes in the countryside around LA for the green views of farmland during the day and the starry dark skies at night. The car companies would build showrooms along the roads with huge corporate logos that were lit up brilliantly at night.

top topics

join