It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paying to Graduate from High School is BS,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Sorry for the sloppy post but my bloods about to boil. I was just watching FOX news. They had a story about Detroit making the kids pay $350 to do the graduation walk. Detroit is one if not the poorest city in the country.

A kid goes to school for 12 damn years and earns his/her diploma and has to PAY to participate in the ceremony.
Cussing---$%^!)*&&% %%$@^__)(!@ Get freaking real!!!!! It;s hard enough to complete High School these days, so you want to make some cash off it? OK time for all the rich, actors, rappers, and all the folks who do have $350 to pay for a kid to graduate from school. For some of these kids it's going to be their biggets accomplishment or only accomplishment in their lives. Sorrry for no link, check FOX site I'm sure the story is still there.

Hell I challenge all who have $ 350 to let go , help these kids get that feeling of accomplishment we felt. I will try to find out how ,later today , and post the info on here,If any one else can that would be great ,as I have to work now. Piss'es me slap off that they could do this at this time in these kids lives.Shamefull BS.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

clarification.....

Is that a price just to be in the ceremony, or is that the price of the cap and gown? Because I had to rent my cap and gown for high school graduation, as well as some other fees, and if I didn't return the gown on time, my diploma and transcript would be held hostage.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

Who would you suggest pays for that students cap and gown?

Taxpayers? it's not enough that we pay to put them through school, we must now pay for them to participate in an optional ceremony?

When I graduated I didn't walk because I couldn't afford it. I am not angry at anyone, and I have the same peice of paper that everyone else got.

In this life, there are luxuries. Some people cannot afford them, does that make it unfair? no at all.
edit on 13-4-2012 by Cdaddy1034 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Is the cap and gown compulsory? If I turn up in my regular clothes will I be denied my certificate or whatever it is they receive?
ETA Poster above answered my question. Thank you.

edit on 13/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

ETA2 I don't remember having seen your guys cap and gown ceremony type thing apart from in the movies. I just did some exams at school (UK) one day and a few weeks later received the results somehow, letter, school noticeboard, something like that. No ceremony, no prom, no nothing.

edit on 13/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA2

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Where I'm from, in high school if you're late to class, you get a U. A U is an unsatisfactory mark of anything connected academically. You can get a U EVERY DAY if you're late to class, and depending on the teacher that can be 1 second after the bell rings to 5 minutes late. You can get a U for swearing, not having a clean locker, parking in the wrong area, wearing inappropriate clothing, fighting, or being a pain in the a$$.

Now any student, good or bad, can accumulate U's over the course of 3 years, and in order to graduate you MUST have all of your U's paid for... The cost of each U is $5.00, and that doesn't seem like a lot but... If you're late all the time, don't care where you park, and absolutely love being a pain, that 5 bucks adds up.

I had 32 credits (28 req. to graduate) and 142 U's...

Paying to graduate... No shock to me...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by richierich931

So, Rich(ie), what were the majority of your 'U's for?
It costs a lot more in the real world when you park in the wrong spot or are habitually late for work. I hope you learned something.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

99% i was tardy to class...

What did i learn?
While in school I didn't learn how to absorb and regurgitate useless information over and over again.

From that particular experience, I learned that unless you think and act like they* want you to, you're going to be punished...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by richierich931

I'm sorry that's all you learned. Everything is what you make of it.
Why were you always late to class? I was maybe late for class a hand full of times while in school and I have a bum leg.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If the cost is for cap and gown, etc., there are certainly ways to mitigate the cost. Both of my kids ordered their cap and gowns online instead of from the school at a fraction of the price, and their caps and gowns were exactly the same as the ones that could be ordered through the school. We also saved a bundle on their Senior pictures- we had a professional photographer (also outside of the one the school set up a deal with) and paid for the photography session and the proof disc and printed what we wanted ourselves for a fraction of the cost. Their pictures ended up being even better than the ones other kids got using the studio that the school set up a deal with, and we sent a lot of new clients to the photographer we used.

There are many ways to save money on graduation costs if people will just take the time to investigate. The "deals" that the school sets up are not the best deals to be found, and there are no laws saying you HAVE to use the suppliers and services they have made arrangements with!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
They are not paying to graduate. If they have the credits, they get the diploma. They are paying to go through the ceremony. Poor school districts don't have the money to rent the halls and pay for all the bells and whistles necessary to put on what amounts to a party. Is that sad? yeah, it sure is that it's come down to that, but Detroit, like OP said, is on its last legs.

The thread title is misleading. Everybody who has the credits graduates. Just some of them don;t get to hear Pomp & Circumstance.
edit on 4/13/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by richierich931
reply to post by Afterthought

99% i was tardy to class...

What did i learn?
While in school I didn't learn how to absorb and regurgitate useless information over and over again.

From that particular experience, I learned that unless you think and act like they* want you to, you're going to be punished...

I wish I could give you more than one star for this one.

While I did learn to absorb and regurgitate useless information (that I found out later was half lies) - I also learned that I "fail" to conform, and therefore did not graduate.

I did however take my GED and I have an actual Diploma - it does not say "GED" on it.

I had no idea they charged for graduation stuffs, but I'm not surprised. My oldest son has already graduated, but he's not much for conforming either and refused to walk at the ceremony so we didn't go. Meanwhile, when I did have both kids in school, I SWEAR TO YOU on whatever, that once a week they were trying to get me to buy something or sell something or pay for this or that. If I didn't know better, I'd say my kids were not in public school for the amount of money I spent.

Kinda makes a person wonder - where exactly is that tax money going? (rhetorical, I know where it goes, they publish teachers salaries around here often).

top topics

join