It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shovel Ready in San Fran: $205,075 to ‘Translocate’ One Shrub from Path of Stimulus Project

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Shovel Ready in San Fran: $205,075 to ‘Translocate’ One Shrub from Path of Stimulus Project
By Thomas Cloud
April 12, 2012

They did it again !!!

This time it's more than $200,000 to move a shrub bush !!!

No problem with the conservation and saving the shrub, it wasn't its' fault it was in the way !!!

But with all the do gooders in Nancy Pelosi's beloved San Francisco, all normal people (especially taxpayers of all the nerve) would have to wonder why someone didn't simply donate some time and effort. Maybe some millionaire that has scruples, maybe somebody like Nancy Pelosi herself could have made a charity donation ?? Or how 'bout all the intellectuals that live around there ??

What's wrong with these people ?

(CNSNews.com) -- The government spent at least $205,075 in 2010 to “translocate” a single bush in San Francisco that stood in the path of a $1.045-billion highway-renovation project that was partially funded by the economic stimulus legislation President Barack Obama signed in 2009.

“In October 2009, an ecologist identified a plant growing in a concrete-bound median strip along Doyle Drive in the Presidio as Arctostaphylos franciscana,” the U.S. Department of Interior reported in the Aug. 10, 2010 edition of the Federal Register. “The plant’s location was directly in the footprint of a roadway improvement project designed to upgrade the seismic and structural integrity of the south access to the Golden Gate Bridge.

They wrote a memorandum with some details and other legal mumbo jumbo
60 pages (I wonder what that cost ?)

It looks like $100,000 went for the labor.

The $100,000 to pay for the “hard removal,” the $79,470 to pay for the “establishment, nurturing and monitoring” of the plant for a decade after its “hard removal,” and the $25,605 to cover the “reporting requirements” for the decade after the “hard removal,” equaled a total cost of $205,075 for “translocating” this manzanita bush.

Looks like everybody got a piece of that deal

Our stimulated tax money at work !!

Can you spell C-o-n-G-a-m-e ??

Can ya dig it ?

edit on Apr-13-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
You got to be kidding me.
Who cares about the bush!?
Get some free matches from 7'll and burn it down!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
200k to move a bush? Are you kidding me? I could understand $2000 for some prestigious gardener, but 200 thousand dollars is just a retarded number. This country is run by idiots.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
And here's the kicker -

The bush—a Franciscan manzanita—was a specimen of a commercially cultivated species of shrub that can be purchased from nurseries for as little as $15.98 per plant. The particular plant in question, however, was discovered in the midst of the City of San Francisco, in the median strip of a highway, and was deemed to be the last example of the species in the “wild.

Prior to the discovery of this “wild” Franciscan manzanita, the plant had been considered extinct for as long as 62 years--extinct, that is, outside of people’s yards and botanical gardens.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

At first thought.. ok .. I suppose I could see this being reasonable if it were a rare species or a species near extinction or .. I don't know, housed some fancy rare endangered species of beetles.

But a normal.. typical .. basic $15 shrub?

This is a perfect example of why I despise Progressive Liberals.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Okay...so after reading this...is anyone surprised that the U.S. National Debt is at $15.7 trillion?

Mind staggering to say the least. $200,000 to move a $15 plant.

If Politicians were required to re-pay foolhardy spending like this to taxpayers - out of their own pockets - this kind of insane spending would stop in a heart beat.

And the National Debt would likely have never risen above about $50.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
All i can do is laugh, I dont even know what to say about this.. I wouldn't pay $200,000 to move it even if what it grew was money. too hilarious to be angered by this

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This is the result of confusion.

Someone became excited by the prospect of moving Dubya to the middle of the highway and extended carte blanche to a finance committee.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This is why they send armed paramilitary teams to kick in doors and drag people out into the street.

They've got revenue to collect to fund great projects that empower society as a whole.

You stingy SOB.

Now that the bush has been moved the greater good has been served. Can you feel it? Feels good. Hella good.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Hmmmm.

They should've talked to me. I would have done that job for half the price that they paid.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

took the words right out of my mouth

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Its worse than I thought..

When I saw the bit about caring for it for a decade I thought, "Ok, they are going to water it, keep bugs off it and such". I guess they are going to that - BUT - they are also going to hold committee meetings! About a shrub!!

From the memorandum linked in the op..

Following relocation of the Mother Plant, the Agencies shall hold annual
meetings amongst the Agencies in which they may, as appropriate:

1. Evaluate the effectiveness of the Conservation Plan;
2. Determine whether the goals and objectives identified in the
Conservation Plan are being adequately achieved;
3. Review completed implementation actions;
4. Review new information, including genetic data;
5. Decide upon the actions to be implemented in the future and assign
those actions to the appropriate Agency or Agencies; and
6. Discuss whether the Conservation Plan requires any adaptive
changes to better conserve Franciscan Manzanita in the Presidio.
All new information and specific adaptive management actions
that the Agencies agree to shall be incorporated in writing and
appended to the Conservation Plan for implementation.
7. Describe any conservation actions scheduled for implementation in
the upcoming year and over the next five calendar years;
8. Discuss the Agencies’ reviews and recommendations regarding the
Conservation Plan over the previous year; and
9. Provide this information annually in electronic format or, if
necessary, in writing every five years at the Agencies’ discretion.

How do these people even keep a straight face when they do this? Surely they can't think this is necessary or justified?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
A waste of money you say? Maybe to us, but not these guys...

But really. Nothing is surprising anymore. They act as if they are using this money to take care of a PERSON, rather than a shrub.

That's it! The NWO/TPTB are really the Knights who say Ni.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
And here's the kicker -

The bush—a Franciscan manzanita—was a specimen of a commercially cultivated species of shrub that can be purchased from nurseries for as little as $15.98 per plant. The particular plant in question, however, was discovered in the midst of the City of San Francisco, in the median strip of a highway, and was deemed to be the last example of the species in the “wild.

Prior to the discovery of this “wild” Franciscan manzanita, the plant had been considered extinct for as long as 62 years--extinct, that is, outside of people’s yards and botanical gardens.

Actually, the shrub in question is a subspecies of Arctostaphylos hookeri, or the Hooker's Manzanita.

A. h. Franciscana is actually the last of it's kind as far as we know, either in the wild or cultivated.

That being said, I still can't believe that Frisco would pay 200k to move a Hooker's bush.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
In my book this would be the only plant/tree worth that much money. www.dnainfo.com...

Just about makes a guy want to start a bush removal company. At $200,000.000 a bush I could retire in about 6 months. Hell more like 6 days! This is insane! I do see the mentality but I don't understand it. Ok it's the last wild one of these alive... I get it! But it's a damn bush that can be purchsed for a local green house. Is the store bought one any different than the wild one? Sure it's a decendent from the same strain... So a store bought one is genetically identical. I'm all about protecting nature and what not. But to waste so much money on a plant thats not threatned is down right stupid.

Can't find any info on how much was spent to save the "Survivor tree" but I bet my bottom dollar it wasn't $200,000.00. Plus it wouldn't matter this tree represents every one of us... It's a symbol.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The $100,000 to pay for the “hard removal,” the $79,470 to pay for the “establishment, nurturing and monitoring” of the plant for a decade after its “hard removal,” and the $25,605 to cover the “reporting requirements” for the decade after the “hard removal,” equaled a total cost of $205,075 for “translocating” this manzanita bush

(Taking a deep breath, slow exhale) Okey, trying not to flip out here. I didn't notice anything in here about a psychologist for the poor plant, should'nt there be $60-70k to cover the mental needs of this plant? I mean come'on a move is bad enough, but a "hard" move has got to do some damage to the plants self image.
Seriously those, this is way beyond freaking stupid! IT"S A FREAKING SHRUB!!! grab some clippers, snip and problem sloved! You want another shrub go to freaking lowes, homedepot, ect! But $200k+ to move a freaking $10.00 bush!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
ABC news broke this story when it happened...where was your outrage then?

Protected plant may delay Doyle Drive project - November 18, 2009

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

This country is run by idiots.

People are only now just figuring this out now on the same note a couple of illegals would have done it for less than $50.

Sorry.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Ron Paul itemizes $1 debits and credits on his transparent campaign balance sheet.

But yet some fools even on here don't get it.

This kind of thing happens ALL THE TIME - LEFT OR RIGHT!

WAKE UP

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

If that is really the last one of the species, I would have taken a few cuttings before attempting to transplant the bush. Propagate the damn thing. Wow, that would be cool if there were more of them, huh?

I would have taken care of that for free, then charged them half price for the shrub relocation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join