It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Man Rodney Brossart Arrested With Drone Evidence Vows to Fight Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

The tiny town of Lakota, N.D., is quickly becoming a key testing ground for the legality of the use of unmanned drones by law enforcement after one of its residents became the first American citizen to be arrested with the help of a Predator surveillance drone. The bizarre case started when six cows wandered onto Rodney Brossart's 3,000 acre farm. Brossart, an alleged anti-government "sovereignist," believed he should have been able to keep the cows, so he and two family members chased police off his land with high powered rifles.

Read full story here:
www.usnews.com...

Am wondering your take on drones now? How do you feel about this - you can run but can not hide?..
I think it is getting more like Enemy of the State with ea passing day. Couldn't help but to think of that movie which helped open my eyes to all of our advanced technology.. Also comes to mind is William Cooper. Hope the guy doesn't end up like that.......The guy sounds pretty serious to me...

Would love to hear your thoughts. ... Does he even stand a chance? Also, how do you like the idea of drones being overhead, knowing your every move, etc?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Drone or not, he's getting arrested for threatening cops with rifles.

He's lucky he wasn't shot up.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I hear that... Yeah, again, it made me think of some of the scenarios with Cooper though. Cooper and this guy have seemed to have lost their cool.. and gone over the edge too far..

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I by know means
like the idea of drones
over the USA...

and the excuse
they are gonna use
is that they are more
cost effective than a Helicopter
to operate
in some area's that don't have
the funding ...

in a situation
like an armed stand off
calling in a Drone for over watch
is no different than calling in a Heli...

what might concern you
is when they are just out on
patrol hovering outside your window
or over your back yard BBQ...

because.... “If you’ve done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.”.... right

edit on 4/12/2012 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

I don't see using drones to pinpoint a persons position as being any different from using a helicopter or satellite. Different technologies, but all used for the same purpose.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Drone or not, he's getting arrested for threatening cops with rifles.

He's lucky he wasn't shot up.

thats why the 2nd amendment is pretty much useless.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

Any technology can be used for good....or misused for bad purposes. In this case it seems to have been used for a good purpose....Pinpointing the location of a guy in an armed standoff with police.

Now, on the other hand...if they had used the drone to take out the guy...much like the US does to terrorists in the middle east (often taking out innocents by accident at the same time)....then I'd be much more concearned..... But, I don't see any misuse of drones in this case.

Honestly I'd be much more concerned about the misuse of smart phones in tracking, and spying on people than I am drones (at least within the US). That seems to be a much more likely place where technology has the potential to be misused within our borders.
edit on 12-4-2012 by bhornbuckle75 because: Mahabone

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

thats why the 2nd amendment is pretty much useless.

I'm confused... how does the presence of a drone make our right to bear arms useless?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I don't think police had a search warrant until AFTER they were chased off his property, I'm not sure though.

When they say "chased police off his landwith high powered rifles" I want to translate that as "the suspects told police to leave, and they had rifles" because I'm almost certain that if they were aiming rifles at police there would have been a gun fight right there. I also think the media would specifically say that they had brandished instead of the obscure phrase "chased police off his land.."

If they didn't have a search warrant until after he "chased police off with high powered rifles" was he within his rights to carry his legal weapon on his property and demand they leave without a warrant? I don't think the constitution distinguishes between a law enforcement officer and a civilian when talking about your private property and your rights to defend it.

If the police came and Brossart asked them to leave unless they had a warrant, and they had a legitimate concern that he would do something crazy, I guess getting a warrant and finding him this way was much safer than sending police in on foot.. Still, it's kind of disturbing.

edit on 12-4-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Thanks guys /gals for the replies. I realize the things you've posted but I can't help it, this bad feeling I have about these things being here. Maybe, I've watched too many scary movies and been at ATS too long but this is real life , folks. Satallites/ GPS , drones and they've been wanting to chip for ages. That's my bottom line complaint . I feel more these days, they are out to get the patriots, etc. too.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
For what its worth, this was discussed at the time, and as far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with "six cows wandering onto his property". Thats just a misprepresentation created to stir up outrage.

North Dakota Uses Predator Drone to Bust Family for "Taking" 6 Cows
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Thankgoodness us tax payers are paying for these drones that are catching cow herders.

The U.S. military complex is out of control... this was a simple job for local law enforcement

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I think the real question here is why are million dollar drones being deployed for cattle disputes. Huge waste of taxpayer dollars no wonder the country is bankrupt. Whats next drone deployment for truancy?
Lets put some cents back in government spending and stop blowing all the dollars on wast full practices like this.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
If I see a drone and I have a gun handy, I am shooting at it. I won't have to be responsible for killing any living thing because it is only a machine.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Attorney: 'Guerilla-Like Police Tactics' Used in First American Drone Arrest
www.usnews.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Court.
First American Arrested by Aid of Drone Argues 4th Amendment ...

www.thenewamerican.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
there is a serious cliff we are getting ready to fall off of here. A helicopter called in to assist is one thing but a drone hovering over your property 24/7 watching is quite another. Technology that can be put on these things is almost unlimited. I can see a total infromation gathering platform including hacking and being able to see through walls to capturing any audio.

So, basically there is no privacy left. If the government is allowed to set up and operate a wide network of drones we are no longer a free country... other uses for drones not thought of here are or could be...

traffic enforcement through cameras like a "red light photo"
for parking tickets;
jay walking;
speeding if a radar is on board

even going out looking for hunters and fisherman without licenses;
checking out boating on a lake
or remote camp ground......

I also see like in the movies as these little drones being the "first on site" to document evidence/scene

My prediction is that in a few years there will another division in the drone licensing of "low level" drones as they get smaller and more capable to do a variety of domestic lawenforcement work.... yes they will carry tazers and small arms to shoot back
edit on 6-6-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: spelling/content

edit on 6-6-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Yeah.... appreciate your post.

For those dismissing concerns about drones by claiming (falsely) that they are the equivalent of police helicopters, won’t those same people dismiss concerns over weaponized drones by arguing: there’s no difference between allowing the police to Taser you or shoot you themselves and allowing them to do that by drone? This is always how creeping police state powers are entrenched: one step at a time.

www.thenewamerican.com...

top topics

join