It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I guess I'm a member now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I've spent many years and hours browsing through ATS for various reasons: knowledge, enlightenment, but mostly entertainment. I figured I might as well step up and make it official instead of being a lurker in the shadow. I don't have many reliable friends in life, and I have a feeling I may find some kindred souls here.

So what can I bring to ATS? Probably not a whole lot. My education only extends to 2 years of anthropology study with some psychology classes on the side. But I would like to finish my BA and onward in anthro (some day, maybe). I lost my job at a time when I had to make a financial assessment about finishing at the university level. So, I'm going to try and get back to work instead of pursuing higher education at this time. No student loans, thanks.

So, my expertise doesn't exactly come from my education--just my sense of wonderment and willingness to deny ignorance. My experience does rest with a lot of paranormal encounters. So, it might not be bad to just say where I lie on a few ATS topics.

First and foremost I have narcolepsy which is a neurological sleep disorder. Sleep paralysis, or hypnagogic/hypnapompic sleep, is something I experience quite frequently as a symptom of the disorder. I don't believe that it is just a quirk of the sleep experience like many sleep techs might say. I have experienced this since I was a young teenager and experience quite frequently to this day. I can usually initiate the experience at will if I want. But since it is usually a frightening experience, I choose to avoid it. It does happen without consent though. I believe there may be some spiritual significance to it as a result of my accumulated observational data. I am always eager to read a post on sleep paralysis when I see one. But I am always dismayed that no one has really spoken of the spiritual connection. Perhaps I have a unique perspective on it due to my frequency of the experience? I'd be happy to discuss my personal experiences more if anybody is interested in the topic like I am.

I am a cancer survivor and during my 2 years of treatment I have transformed from an atheist into--well, something else, I guess. I identify as Hindu now, but I am American and was raised in a Judeo-Christian family. I am aware of atheism on ATS. That's no reason for us not to get along. However, I am deeply interested in the metaphysical and I am open to all sorts of possibilities. That is just the result of my experience. I have an intimate knowledge of yoga and meditation and have been practicing for many, many years. I would have to say that the events of my life and the cancer thing has pushed me in this direction. I consider my illness a blessing in disguise after being in remission for about 6-7 years.

I like to believe I hold a delicate balance of skepticism and belief in all things. I have an understanding and appreciation of good scientific method as well. Just thought I'd add that in case anybody is doubting my ability to question, be skeptical, analyze, or synthesize what with all my paranormal/ metaphysical background.

I am a drummer. I am a poet who has had a few poems published; but writes for pleasure and catharsis instead of recognition now. I play inline hockey. I am really just a jack-of-all-trades. I have passion for living life and helping others enjoy life as well. I continue to struggle with some health issues, but am never going to let that stop me from enjoying. I keep my attitude positive (most of the time). I really wouldn't mind having a job again either haha.

Basically, I'm not here to assert or argue or convince anybody of anything. I'm not sure that I will be posting my own threads too often. I will probably just chime in when I feel I'm needed on topics such as that sleep paralysis debate. Otherwise I am expecting to just continue to enjoy reading the posts of everyone else.

My thanks to those who took the time to read my introduction and welcome me to ATS.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Hi, feels wrong to welcome you since I joined about ten minutes earlier than you did, but what the hell? Welcome!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Very nice, in-depth intro...I did so enjoy getting to know you. Welcome to ATS...you'll fit in nicely....

Des

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Great intro and welcome to ATS. Enjoy the show or enjoy being the show. You can do both here, that's the beauty!!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Thats a nice cover story for a disinfo agent of the man........so how much they payin ya?

JK...welcome to the abyss of narcissism that is a conspiracy theorist.....may you not develop the urge to peep out yer window at all hours of the night.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BooKrackers

Haha! Cover story too obvious? Dang, and I was all ready to split hairs, confuse the issues, and initiate loaded arguments! Way to rain on my parade.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Welcome Buddha....
Enjoy yourself,and have a blast.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Welcome to one of the best websites and internet communities on the planet,low earth orbit, and elsewhere.
Its a wonderful thing.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS

we are all friends with benefits here

new topics

top topics

join