It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sonic Boom heard in Central Ohio

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
There was apparently a sonic boom heard across Central Ohio about an hour ago. Hundreds of people have reported hearing it from as far north as Marion County, all the way to the southern portion of Franklin County. That's spread out about 50-60 miles! I live near one of the areas listed in the linked article, but didn't hear anything unusual.

The Delaware County Sheriff's office is reporting a low-flying jet broke the sound barrier, causing the boom. Aren't jets usually restricted from breaking the sound barrier unless it is an extreme emergency? I did a search and saw that other areas have been reporting sonic booms recently, but didn't find anything about this incident.

Source

(MODS: I wasn't sure which section to post this. Please move if necessary.)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'm like a cat right now--super curious about what is going on.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SSPI07

This is the time of year for airshows. Check to see if your local airport or military installations are practicing. If the airshow is scheduled for the weekend, the jets fly in a few days earlier and start practicing by Thursday.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SSPI07

Aren't jets usually restricted from breaking the sound barrier unless it is an extreme emergency?

Not sure about "extreme", but yes, it's a no-no. Unless the situation was somewhat unusual the pilot will catch hell.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Strange considering the reports of a sonic boom in the UK , even the M.O.D dont seem to have their story straight , Earthquakes all over the shop , sonic booms , Korea`s submarine nuke ....... it`s getting hairy.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Something from Wright Patterson air-force base maybe?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'll S&F given that there were conflicting reports of a similar situation earlier in the U.K. It may be nothing, but it's something to keep an eye on considering time frame and similarity.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luckyxfactor
I'm like a cat right now--super curious about what is going on.

You and me both! I'm watching the local news right now, but they haven't said much about it other than the story is coming up.

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Something from Wright Patterson air-force base maybe?

Possibly, Wright Patterson is a few counties to the west of this area.

Originally posted by AFewGoodWomen
reply to post by SSPI07

This is the time of year for airshows. Check to see if your local airport or military installations are practicing. If the airshow is scheduled for the weekend, the jets fly in a few days earlier and start practicing by Thursday.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any airshows scheduled for this area until this summer. I'm not sure they'd be practicing after dark anyway.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I have to wonder if this is somehow related to the incident in the UK, or a totally separate incident.

I could see a coastal area running into sonic booms from patrol aircraft going +Mach1 too close while on patrol, but inland, I am not so sure there would be a reason to go supersonic to get anywhere unless it was some kind of training, or inland (non-coastal) threat, real or perceived.

Please keep us posted.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RyanFromCan
I have to wonder if this is somehow related to the incident in the UK, or a totally separate incident.

I could see a coastal area running into sonic booms from patrol aircraft going +Mach1 too close while on patrol, but inland, I am not so sure there would be a reason to go supersonic to get anywhere unless it was some kind of training, or inland (non-coastal) threat, real or perceived.

Please keep us posted.

If it is totally separate (and I'm not saying it isn't), the weird thing about this, is that the sounds happened around the same time (6-7pm) yet on completely different time zones.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Mhm...
Superman crossing the globe?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlutAusNord
Mhm...
Superman crossing the globe?

If it takes Superman 5 hrs to cross over from the UK to the US, then he must be laden down with Kryptonite!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Wow, that's pretty amazing that a similar noise was heard in the UK! That is pretty strange...

I missed the first part of the story on the news when it finally came on because the little tike woke up wanting a bottle. They didn't really know much more than what was posted in their article from what I could hear. Here's a link to the news station's Facebook page. Over 50 people have written in so far with comments on the story.
Facebook - WBNS 10TV

I heard from a good friend who lives on the southwest side of Columbus who said she heard what sounded like a "gun shot from a big gun." I also heard from a relative in Marion who said she thought a storm was coming when she heard the noise.
edit on 4/12/2012 by SSPI07 because: Spelling correction

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SSPI07
Wow, that's pretty amazing that a similar noise was heard in the UK at almost the exact same time! That is pretty strange...

I missed the first part of the story on the news when it finally came on because the little tike woke up wanting a bottle. They didn't really know much more than what was posted in their article from what I could hear. Here's a link to the news station's Facebook page. Over 50 people have written in so far with comments on the story.
Facebook - WBNS 10TV

I heard from a good friend who lives on the southwest side of Columbus who said she heard what sounded like a "gun shot from a big gun." I also heard from a relative in Marion who said she thought a storm was coming when she heard the noise.

Yeah, I am one of the ones posting on that FB page...and if you scroll further down, theres another post by WBNS with 250-odd comments too. I posted on that also.

Yeah..its dead weird that at 6-7pm UK time (1-2pm US time) they had what they thought were 'sonic booms'. then at 6-7pm US time (11pm-12am UK time) we had the same things...
I have no idea what it is, but its definitely piqued my interest.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by shaolin_dragon

Ah, I didn't see all of those comments!

In regards to the comments on the Facebook page, most of the people who commented said it sounded like a loud, low-flying jet. The sound apparently lasted anywhere from 1-5 minutes. A handful described hearing a distinctive 'boom'. Very few of them have claimed to have seen an actual aircraft and those who did said it looked like a military fighter jet of some sort.
edit on 4/12/2012 by SSPI07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I was walking with my girlfriend in high banks park when we heard this, which is about 15 mins north of Columbus. It was around 6 o'clock when it happened and it was sunny and clear but I didn't see any kind jet at the time. It sounded more like a rumble than a boom or explosion, and it lasted for a couple minutes too. I tried to record it but you can barely hear it on the phone, even though it was really loud in person. With the same thing happening in the uk where "sonic booms" are heard over such a large area on the same day it seems kinda weird.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
i started a post about this on columbus craigslist. people where coming out of there house to see what was going on. i was outside the whole time and never heard a distinct boom but it did sound as though it was staging. the best way i could describe it, is if you have ever watched the space shuttle launch before it was retired. very loud and very long with what sounded like stages of whatever it was firing off. but i heard no clear boom. just a rocket sound. i have been to many airshows seen many fighter jets an stealths in action, and this was way louder and hung around as if the jet was around. but nothing could be seen anywhere on a otherwise clear blue, beautiful sky. i am in columbus, there is an old military airport(rickenbacker) but has only been used for commercial vehicles for a few years now. and it is on southside while we are on north side. did sound as if travelling northwest, but since couldnt see anything. all i can describe is a sound.

btw, how do you start a new thread on this site now. since the new format havent been able to find the new thread button anywhere. thank you!
edit on 06/02/2010 by letscit because: add

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The local news just aired an update on the sonic boom. Apparently they called the Air Force, Air National Guard, and the FAA and none of them took responsibility for the sound. They also said there wasn't any unusual seismic activity. The mystery deepens.

Source
edit on 4/13/2012 by SSPI07 because: Added sentence

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I heard it too.In galloway, near the west side of Columbus.I didn't see anything.It sounded like a low flying jet or something.It was quite loud.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SSPI07

yes, thank you for that update. i know from personal experience it was no military jet. the sound was something i have only heard from nasa. but then again i have never seen an icbm launch either sooo... or whatever they call the nuclear missiles now. if you closed your eyes you would have thought you where a good safe distance away from the shuttle launching. is there a chance that the new unmanned space shuttle was sent into orbit? dont know what this vehicle sounds like. wright patterson is near dayton/springfield, about 1.5 hours away doing 70 m.p.h. and didnt seem to be coming from that direction. but it was not just a boom and over. i cannot stress enough that what was the weirdest thing besides how loud, is just how long it lasted. long enough for people to step outside, look for it for a minute and try to discuss it for another minute all while the sound was still going. and when i say discuss, it wasnt with an inside voice. me and my friend checked the clock and at 6 exactly the sound stopped, and seemed to start at 5:55 p.m. est.
edit on 06/02/2010 by letscit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join