It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are fighter generations classified?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
How do you determine what generation a fighter belongs to?

And what are examples of each generation?

For example, the JAS-39 Gripen is a 4th-generation fighter. Is this correct?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I was wondering about that too.

I hope someone wil post a reply

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   
So what generation is Harrier and JSF?
And the MiG-17?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I don't think the generational thing is a rigid classification, it certainly isn't an official one. It is more like a general point of reference which allows us to band aircraft of a particular vintage or technological level together or easily classify the difference between a Lightning and an F-15 for example.This 'grouping' is more commonly associated with fighters because they usually represent the cutting edge of current design so you wouldn't really use the system with say a Harrier as it could itself quite correctly be termed a 1st gen VTOL fighter with the Yak 141 representing the ultimate form of the 2nd gen type which the P1154 was hoped to be and the F-35B the third gen of that category. It is neither right nor wrong but a useful reference device. Thats how I see it.

I would call the MiG 17 an 'late 1st gen' type. This tells me that it is an early jet fighter but more developed an with a higher peformance than the normal 1st gen types, other late 1st gen fighters would be the Swift, Hunter and F-86D for example.

Its a question of your point of reference, the JAS-39 Gripen is a fifth gen fighter for Sweden as it follows the J-21, J-29, J35 and J-37 which were the previous generations but in a globall sense the Gripen is well short of what we accept to be 5th gen technology.

Like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I don't think the generational thing is a rigid classification, it certainly isn't an official one. It is more like a general point of reference ...

Yes, there is nothing offical about this "generation" scheme that has become so popular in recent years. In my opinion, it is more a marketing ploy than anything else. Here is my group's take on the subject:

www.aerospaceweb.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
does anyone know how many mph is mach 1?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2009

The speed of sound at sea level is 760 mph, or around 660 knots, assuming that the temperature is around 60 or 70 degrees Farenheit.
The mph will decrease as the temperature decreases, for example the speed of sound at around 32 degrees Farenheit or 0 degrees celcius is around 740 mph.
It's also important to note that the higher you go (altitude) the lower the speed of sound.

If you want more precise numbers you might ask one of the folks in ATS's Science forum.

Intelgurl

[edit on 26-9-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2009

intelgurl is correct that the speed of sound at sea level is generally accepted as 761 mph using the international standard atmosphere. Speed of sound varies with temperature, and temperature varies as altitude increases. As a result, the speed of sound varies considerably at higher altitudes. Look here to learn more.

www.aerospaceweb.org...
www.aerospaceweb.org...

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It is not an Official term, so there is no fixed definition. I'm not sure but I think it has to do with sucession in Air Superiority in the Jet age:

F-80 and its siblings = 1st Generation

F-86 = 2nd Generation

Century series and F-4= 3rd Generation

F-14 through F-20= 4th Generation

F-22, F-35= 5th Generation

The above list shows the Generations of US fighters as I understand them. I hope this helps answer your questions.

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Russian 5th generation aircraft are same level as US except stealth...
According to russian standards, she has seven 5 generation aircrafts - MiG-35 (MiG-29M2), MiG-39, MiG LFI, Su-47, Su-37, Su-32/34, Su-55 (Su LFI)

RU 5th gen = US 4.5th gen

In early September 1997, Defence Minister Igor Sergeyev revealed that Russia simultaneously develops six new generation fighter aircraft. This means that MAPO MIG and ANTK Sukhoi proceed with more development programmes than Europe (Rafale, Eurofighter and Gripen) and US (F-22 and JSF) together. Same revelation was followed by a statement that Russian military-industrial complex was working on technologies that were 10 to 15 per cent ahead of the rest of the world.

Most of the work financed by Sukhoi and Mikoyan themselves.

so its up to a nation to define generations.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
WOW Sukhoi already created a Su-47 and MiG? What did MiG do? They didn't even release MiG-31
What generation is MiG-31 in comparison to Su-27, 30, 33, 35 & 37?

new topics

top topics

join