It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dr sports science, same advice.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I just saw on tv a horizon program about exercise. There was some guys; dr, prof of exercise. They espoused the view that if you sprinted 3 times one after another, 3 times a week you would be fit. Has anyone noticed that this advice is very old and any university that says anything about exercise says that same thing. It seems to me that if someone creates a degree when there must be a phd. It is a little crazy that people wit less medical knowledge than a nurse can say what people should do. Trust me if you sprint like that 3 times a week you will get a training injury. What the hell next, if there are degrees in comics which there is somewhere then there must be a phd in comics. Then stan lee can get ignored for some bloke who hasn't even read a comic book ( not that I can claim to have read many myself) I suppose it's just a load of people avoiding chicken soup dispensar repairman and heading for Ace Rimmer.

I think exercise should be studied only in the context of medicine.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by s12345

Trust me if you sprint like that 3 times a week you will get a training injury.

Really? 3 sprints, 3 times per week will create an injury? There are plenty of people that have to do that just to catch a bus or a cab. To most that wouldn't even be considered training, but to a couch potato it would help them get fit.

This advice is very good actually. A lot of people walk miles and miles per week, but they never get fit, and they don't know why. A lot of people think mowing the yard, or vacuuming should constitute exercise, but it doesn't. The only things that will help you get fit are things with some intensity to them. They have to get your heart rate elevated, and elicit a chemical response in your muscles. The more consistently you do it, the more efficient the body becomes. 3 sprints, 3 times per week would be a nice, intense, consistent workout that would do a lot of good for blood pressure, metabolism, heart health, and more!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
We are talking a 3 20 second sprints as fast as you can, and yes it will eventually cause an injury because it is very high impact exercise. Plus as I said it is the same advice that a has been give for years. Has the subject of sports science ran out of ideas: at least for non-athletes.You would expect a person with a phd to create improvements now and then.

edit on 13-4-2012 by s12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Yes I've seen it and I enjoyed it. They did prepare though and made sure that the subject was in good health.

anyhows.. here is the show to see for all.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I could have got the information they provided on the program on any exercise web sites. They did not really provide very much. Sports science has reached an empasse; they are finding nothing of any use for most people.

top topics

join