It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Echinacea(Purple Cone Flower): Medicinal Properties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Uses: Enhance the activity of the immune system, relieve pain, reduce inflammation, an antiviral, and antioxidant. To treat urinary tract infections, vaginal yeast infections, Colds and flu, skin infections such as acne and boils, ear infections, athlete’s foot, sinusitis, hay fever, as well as slow-healing wounds. As a mouthwash for sore throats, tonsillitis, mouth ulcers and gum infections.

Identification: Described as “daisy-like.” Bloom colour ranges from deep reddish-purple to white. Petals are numerous, narrow and droop downward from a spiny cone located in the center of the flower. Flowers appear from early to late summer. The leaves which are covered in short prickly hairs and will feel like sandpaper. They are staggered along the plant stem rather than positioned across from each other. Leaf shape varies from oblong to lance-shaped. You will find large leaves at the bottom. Stems like their leaves, feel rough to the touch. The top 6 to 10 inches is usually leafless. Grows 2 to 5 feet tall.

Harvesting: Roots are harvested in the fall when the tops have gone to seed and the plants have experienced a couple of hard frosts. Tops are harvested just as the flowers start to open.

Infusion: dried-1 teaspoon per cup fresh-2 teaspoons per cup

Tincture: 1 – 3 mL of standardized tincture extract (20 – 90 drops)

Mouthwash: Dilute a few drops of tincture in water to make mouthwash.

Warnings: It should not be used for more than 20 days. Do not use in children under 13. Do not use if you are allergic to daisies or anything in the aster family.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Thank you for posting these. I trust natural remedies much more than what the pharmacuetical companies try to sell to us.

Star and flag for each

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
earthnotes.tripod.com... - Extended description of this herb; uses, names, appearance etc.

As the OP states, apparently has some fairly nasty side effects/contraindictions, and as such, should probably be avoided if you have access to alternatives. The Martians (garlic, ginger and friends) can replace this for wound infection/antibacterial/antifungal uses, and most of its' other indications have alternatives as well.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I have been using Echinacea for years. I am half way through my sixties and use to grow this plant for its use against colds. I gave some to my mother when she was in her eighties, her doctor told her if she had a cold for three days, to go see him. Once she started using Echinacea and Golden Seal tea, she never again went to a doctor for a cold.

I have since been making a tincture of Elderberries, which I keep with me, since I have been tent camping for a year now, on the road . It will knock the flu out of you in no time, as well as a cold.

I should add, both of these should only be used for a few days at a time. Their effects work much better that way. Especially the Echinacea.
edit on 13-4-2012 by herenow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join