It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viking robots found life on Mars in 1976, scientists say

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
Knowing what we now know about how diverse life is, I would think a sterile planet would be rarer than one wth life.

Life seems diverse because it's everywhere here on Earth. It literally worms its way into every little nook and cranny. But there's really no saying how diverse or common it is anywhere else.

In fact, using your same argument that life will "find a way," if you land on a planet or asteroid and you don't immediately find obvious life then there's a very good chance it doesn't exist there. Land on Earth, and how long will it take you to find life? About 10 seconds. That should tell you something.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

There are structures on Mars folks. I cannot stress this enough without proof.

OOOOOOOOOOOk.
rofl

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11I11
reply to post by Human_Alien

Or more like this.....

.....according to the interweb

So whats the possibility that this rock is not just a chunk that ricochet'd off of another falling space rock/debree and landed where it is, or simply ejecta? How does a rock this size just set where no other like rocks are? There are no paths or anything that appears like a way it was brought here, it just looks like it fell out of the sky/space.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
^ I believe it WAS debunked at a different angle as a rock.

the shadow gives it the "form".

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I couldn't find it on Youtube, but if anyone has access to this file, please down- and upload it!
Link!

There is life on Mars, no doubt about it!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I consider myself a skeptical. But, to quote the famous quote, I want to believe. But most important, I'm a curious person. With that in mind;

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm amazed by the huge number of articles, news topics, reports, documentaries and general media interest in exo-planets and "ground-breaking discoveries" about life outside earth and/or its possibilities. Like this one for instance ( "Do intelligent dinosaurs really rule alien worlds?"

Again, even though I love to read crazy theories, speculations and unsolved mysteries, my skeptical approach never let me goes too deep on this matters. But since the military's disclosure "domino effect" around the world and The Kepler telescope started to public announce that we might be surprised by the actual outcome of Drakes' Equation, so to speak, I'm really starting to believe in some of the "wacky theorists" around here.

Almost every day something new comes out. The NASA's Alien bacteria, the Lake Vostok, earthlike exoplanets and now this. It's like we are being slowly and patiently fed with enough scientific data and support to accept something bigger. I just have this feeling; something huge is brewing.

Anyway, I don't want to jump into any conclusion or accept any theory as factual. But for the first time in my life I'm happily siding with conspiracy theory. I even create my own account here to be able to post.

Anyway, something bigger or not, life on mars being acknowledged is something big! Let's hope for more.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
**OOFFFF TOPICC**

... Your avatar should have a Canucks superhero suit on.. not a flames

thanks for sharing op

~ Love is an art

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by templar knight
Seek and ye shall find. Various scientists have suggested that Viking discovered life on Mars:

Astro Biology 2007

My apologies, I meant to add this link in a earlier post, it's not a counter action, just more 'from the horses mouth' so to speak.

www.biology-online.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by smurfy

Originally posted by Sinny
Can someone please post a link to this NASA monolith thingy please

Hope this helps.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Isn't that ironic?

A monolith placed on Earth by aliens in the classic sci-fi film "2001: A Space Odyssey."

I know, more than that, how can you know at the top of the class, (NASA) when you are talking about your own viewing technology not being able to define it properly, and so saying that this is simply a rock, it is an educated guess taking in circumstance. Could be right, and could be wrong. Strange, and a bit 'Micky taking'

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Perhaps microbiological life has no correlation to any structures made by intelligent life.
Yes there may well be a secret space programme outside of NASA
Also Yes they may have been a prior Earth civilization that was more advanced than our own - shock horror
Perhaps some of the so called anomalies found on other planets and moons are the remains or ruins of a prior Earth space traveling civilization - they certainly do not look pristine new buildings or structures
Perhaps a lot of things are true and a lot false perhaps there is no conclusive proof or proof is being witheld

edit on 12-4-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Wow thanks!!

3 times this week my threads have made the front page

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

I wonder if they were waiting for irrefutable evidence to present to a international press conference. Also, this may increase funding to NASA, as they desperately need from what I've heard.

From the article it seems to me they aren't exactly waiting for "irrefutable evidence" as such.
More like they are waiting for peer review of the methods used to determine Viking found life.

It's interesting, but personally I would wait for a peer reviewed article stating that the methods used are xx% reliable.
The article mentioned that the validity of the methods used have yet to be fully tested/determined.

Still it was an interesting read S&F for you.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
LOL I thought the title read "Viking robots found on Mars"

I was going to say "And they invade us when?"

But seriously, I won't doubt there is some kind of life on Mars, either it's some organisms or bacteria, whatever. There could be something residing there. Intelligent or advanced? Up for debate.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax
Took the humans 36 yrs to figure this out? lol.. that red tape must have been quite THICK.

2.1 millions years ago, the core of mars cooled enough to weaken the magnetic field, and the solar flare winds blew off much of the atmosphere. 4.1 million years ago, I expect Mars was lush, and full of life...

Question is... did they have the tech to reach Earth?

You meant Billions, not Millions, right? Must be a typo, since Mars internal dynamo ceased 4.1 billion years ago.
The solar wind was also much stronger back then due to the Sun's higher ultraviolet output.

Now, billions of years for life to evolve makes it much more probable that there could have been technology to reach Earth. Would that not be really something if that could be proven if they ever get their hands on live microbial life on Mars, and then conduct DNA analysis!
edit on 12-4-2012 by charlyv because: clarity

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

I believe that Mar's once did have life on it, but now it's just a dead planet. It's atmosphere vanished for some reason and life evaporated. As far as the Universe in general, surely something so vast as it must have atleast 100's if not 1000's or maybe more of planets that can or do sustain life. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

It says they'll know in August for sure, after the data analysis is complete with respect to changes in behavior during dust storms above, in response to which biological systems are expected to be altered by the environment whereas geologic only do not, that will nail it down along with the calibration to earth experiments differentiating the complexity level between geologic and biological.

Very interesting development, the idea of life existing in simultaneity on not just one but two planets in a single solar system, especially when we consider not just the planets surrounding other stars but also their moon systems, and we may find life there also, on one or more of the moons of Jupiter.

LIFE - teeming throughout the universe, now wouldn't that be something. Exobiology - if I was a kid again, that's the field I'd probably gravitate to - evaluating proof of life in the universe, what a cool job that would be!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

in 1976? And they never said anything?

IMO this should be the reason to do the complete opposite of funding NASA. Destroy NASA, dismantle it. Let the private sector take over and generate true results in space exploration. NASA is a destroyer of ideas and dreams, they stifle advances and hide the truth.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

Critics counter that the method has not yet been proven effective for differentiating between biological and non-biological processes on Earth, so it's premature to draw any conclusions.

Misleading thread title. Lock. Ban. Delete.

The OP copied the thread title from the news source ~exactly~ as per the rules.

Now, whether or not "MSNBC" is a "reputable news source", is questionable, but
the OP followed the ATS rules to a T.

I think we'll eventually find life on Mars. And if we do, It is probable that its origins
can be shown to have come from Earth....

Or maybe it was the other way around.

It's the old "Did God create man in his own image, or did man create God in his own image"
proposition. I personally think our earthling egos may be in for a bruising on this one.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
PLEASE NOTE:

This thread is for discussion of recently released/reasessed findings of microbial life on Mars, NOT the "monolith" or other Mars formations.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I always said that when we find evidence of life outside Earth, it would treated like a "ho hum" instead of a "OMG". Go job Viking

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join