It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viking robots found life on Mars in 1976, scientists say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+62 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Viking robots found life on Mars in 1976, scientists say

www.msnbc.msn.com

New analysis of 36-year-old data, resuscitated from printouts, shows that NASA found life on Mars, an international team of mathematicians and scientists conclude in a paper published this week.

Further, NASA doesn't need a human expedition to Mars to nail down the claim.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4/12/2012 by dbates because: Edited title to reflect article

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I wonder if they were waiting for irrefutable evidence to present to a international press conference. Also, this may increase funding to NASA, as they desperately need from what I've heard.

This is very interesting and since it's breaking now, it may be a few more days before anything additional is released.

I will keep this thread updated, as I do with my others.

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I think Curiousity is due to land within the next few months. Im hoping that whatever data that gathers puts the question wether there is life on Mars to rest.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Does this have anything to do with the monolith that NASA is reporting via Yahoo?

Get ready people.....the truth is about to come out!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I remember when they originally found life on Mars from that same mission,I think.

But then they came back and said the data was false or something.
But,with new light on the possibility of life elsewhere,maybe back then they didn't think the masses were ready for that and covered it up.

Here it is.......

The Viking landers conducted biological experiments designed to detect life in the Martian soil (if it existed) with experiments designed by three separate teams, under the direction of chief scientist Gerald Soffen of NASA. One experiment turned positive for the detection of metabolism (current life), but based on the results of the other two experiments that failed to reveal any organic molecules in the soil, most scientists became convinced that the positive results were likely caused by non-biological chemical reactions from highly oxidizing soil conditions.[10] Although there is general consensus that the Viking Lander results demonstrated a lack of biosignatures in soils at the two landing sites, the test results and their limitations are still under assessment. The validity of the positive 'Labeled Release' (LR) results hinged entirely on the absence of an oxidative agent in the Martian soil, but one was later discovered by the Phoenix lander in the form of perchlorate salts.[11][12] The question of microbial life on Mars remains unresolved. It has been proposed that organic compounds could have been present in the soil analyzed by both Viking 1 and 2, but remained unnoticed due to the presence of perchlorate, as detected by Phoenix in 2008.[13] Researchers found that perchlorate will destroy organics when heated and will produce chloromethane and dichloromethane, the identical chlorine compounds discovered by both Viking landers when they performed the same tests on Mars.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12-4-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hmmm, interesting. Let's see if any thing comes of this.

What is the possibility that the bacteria didn't come from earth via Viking?
edit on 12-4-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Critics counter that the method has not yet been proven effective for differentiating between biological and non-biological processes on Earth, so it's premature to draw any conclusions.

Misleading thread title. Lock. Ban. Delete.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Does this have anything to do with the monolith that NASA is reporting via Yahoo?

I've always talked myself in believing that there will be no such thing as 'Disclosure', meaning that there has never been an 'Elite' group or government with knowledge of life existing outside of Earth. I've always thought that when the time comes, that we have proof of their existence, all of humanity will pretty much be enlightened to this truth at once, or at least with in a small time frame...

But now, considering that this information is being derived from older documents and knowledge, points my reasoning back into the other direction. That people have known this, and possibly even had contact previously...

Either way, this is awesome. If there is to be disclosure, I am all ears and 'giddy' with anticipation! Can't wait to hear more!

+4 more 
link   
There's been a sort of quasi rule involving 'alien' anything and that's a 25-50 year window before it's talked about.

This was discovered almost 40 years ago.
There is a definite desensitizing and preconditioning (cleansing if you will) on this planet right now.

This information is almost subliminal to the average person who doesn't park their butt on forums like this.
But...the average person (when asked) will say they believe in life off the planet.

That wasn't the case almost 25 years ago. We were still considered black sheep for thinking so outside the box.

I think what in part is happening is, China is about to find or even disclose what they're finding on the Moon which are structures. And the United States is trying to soften the blow even though.....we're getting primed to accept this life changing moment of truth.

There has never been a doubt in my mind that not ONLY are there artifacts on both Mars and the Moon but .....Beings too. Some alien. Some Humans. I have no doubt at all that that is true.

You'll see.

link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Life FOUND on MARS

www.msnbc.msn.com

New analysis of 36-year-old data, resuscitated from printouts, shows that NASA found life on Mars, an international team of mathematicians and scientists conclude in a paper published this week.

Further, NASA doesn't need a human expedition to Mars to nail down the claim.

The sad truth is that they will probably REDUCE the budget with this. Because the "Further NASA doesn't need a human expedition to Mars to nail down the claim," quote negates the need for a budget if NASA has already found life. No need to fund an expedition.

NASA has lost much of its staff and funding. This has been in large part because of the success of the *secret* space program.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I saw that article earlier today on Yahoo before I left for school. In addition to that, there was another article about a police officer and another person seeing some green object the size of a whale crashing into a lake. Here's a link

news.yahoo.com...

The Republican-American of Waterbury reports that a person driving in Litchfield at about 2 a.m. Tuesday reported that a green, glowing object the size of a whale fell from the sky and crashed into Bantam Lake. Officials say that at about the same time, a state trooper 10 miles away in Warren called dispatchers to report that something fell out of the sky and landed near Bantam or Morris.

Morris firefighters made several passes up and down the lake in a boat looking for a possible plane crash, but didn't find any debris.

And now this article comes out....

I dont spend much time on extra-terrestrials or UFO stuff, but today seems to have alot of buzz about them.

To the OP - This is awesome. Earlier, I read an article about how there's a good possibility of other life below the surface of Mars, because the chance for water underground is alot higher (I think that was the basic jist of the story). I'll try to find it again.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Great Find.

At the time (I am showing my age) there was a great deal of controversy about this where certain experiments showed life, others did not. I remember reading of the experiments that at the turn of the century when great fires were lit at the Sahara Desert to see if anyone from Mars could see these and did wonder - if someone was to visit Earth with low technology would they aim for the dry / plain like sands of the Sahara where they can see the craft but which is nearly lifeless. And have we (okay NASA) done something similar.

Also with Mars, if life existed even at a microbe level only, we really don't know how / what this would look like and hence any positive result needs very serious consideration.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

I've always talked myself in believing that there will be no such thing as 'Disclosure', meaning that there has never been an 'Elite' group or government with knowledge of life existing outside of Earth. I've always thought that when the time comes, that we have proof of their existence, all of humanity will pretty much be enlightened to this truth at once, or at least with in a small time frame...

But now, considering that this information is being derived from older documents and knowledge, points my reasoning back into the other direction. That people have known this, and possibly even had contact previously...

Either way, this is awesome. If there is to be disclosure, I am all ears and 'giddy' with anticipation! Can't wait to hear more!

It is awesome but like you mentioned, it's also irritating to realize that they've known this for at least 65 years now (Roswell 1947) and sat on it.
This is OUR truth. Why is OUR truth being 'handled' and disbursed through others?

I can't get too excited because frankly, I am very pissed for the years I had to withstand the ridicule. I knew then what they're saying now.

Alien abductions are 100% real too. Maybe that truth will come out in 2020

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Their version of the truth, anyway.

On topic: I would say they've known this and more for 36 years(or more), and were waiting for the authorization to release it.
edit on 4/12/2012 by Klassified because: add

edit on 4/12/2012 by Klassified because: spelling

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

They better raise the bar and NOT report about molecular life.

There are structures on Mars folks. I cannot stress this enough without proof.

They know this. Others know this and they're not letting YOU know this.

There are structures and Beings on the Moon too.

The bizarre is about to become your reality so buckle up. Because even if NASA wusses out and reports marine-like life instead..... China will blow the cover this year.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Found this from the BBC News in 2003.

He found then that "The organic analysis instrument was shown to be very insensitive, requiring millions of micro-organisms to detect any organic matter versus the LR's demonstrated ability to detect as few as 50 micro-organisms."

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

NASA is saying it is a rock roughly shaped like a rectangle as per the pixelation, plus low sunlight exaggerates the high look, or length of the shadow. This due to the resolution of HiRiSe satellite...in other words they don't know either

edit on 12-4-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Took the humans 36 yrs to figure this out? lol.. that red tape must have been quite THICK.

2.1 millions years ago, the core of mars cooled enough to weaken the magnetic field, and the solar flare winds blew off much of the atmosphere. 4.1 million years ago, I expect Mars was lush, and full of life...

Question is... did they have the tech to reach Earth?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Their version of the truth, anyway.

On topic: I would say they've known this and more for 36 years(or more), and were waiting for the authorization to release it.
edit on 4/12/2012 by Klassified because: add

edit on 4/12/2012 by Klassified because: spelling

Well the Vatican already did with their "Alien Brotherhood" welcome a few years ago. Religion is the toughest hurdle to jump over. Because science is getting less respect with each passing year. as quantum physics steps in.
So once we get the thieves, I mean the Vatican to approve (which they did)......it's all systems go (I was brought up Catholic so this is my ex-religion I'm mocking)

Vatican astronomer cites possibility of extraterrestrial 'brothers'
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Seek and ye shall find. Various scientists have suggested that Viking discovered life on Mars:

Astro Biology 2007

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join